Feature request: New word separation possibilities

Started by Ragnar-F, February 28, 2020, 08:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnar-F

Currently, as far as I know, there are only two ways to separate a long label consisting of several words: space and \n.

In English, a label consisting of several words is separated by spaces, whereas in German (or possibly other languages) the words are usually directly concatenated. For example "tool cabinet" vs. "Werkzeugschrank". While the English label fits nicely in a Misc tab's box, the German label is erroneously separated between "Werkzeugschr" and "ank". The correct separation would be "Werkzeug" and "schrank". Currently, our translators are trying to separate such words with spaces where reasonable. This may be sufficient for such boxes, but in other places, such as headlines in item descriptions, these labels simply look crappy and wrong.

\n is out anyway, since it would make headlines mentioned above multiline.

It would be nice if there could be other ways to separate labels. For example there are the following:

• Soft hyphen (­). In general, it would make sense to allow all HTML entities if possible; some seem to work already, like <, others produce an XML error. See Wikipedia page.
  • Zero-width space. See Wikipedia page.
  • <wbr>. See Wikipedia page.

Haplo

One additional way could be an optional alternate for menu texts:
English uses .label for everything
German (and some others) use additionally an optional alternate .labelMenu to define how the displaying in the menu should be split. The menu only uses .labelMenu when it's not empty and uses .label as the default.

.label -> Werkzeugschrank
.labelMenu -> Werkzeug schrank

Just my 2 cents 8)

Ragnar-F

This would also be a good alternative, although I believe that the other methods, especially the first one, are more flexible and cause less work.