New to modding Rimworld but have some problems...

Started by KatsPurr, February 28, 2020, 02:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KatsPurr

Hey folks!

So my ultimate goal: Add new custom graphics for characters and possibly animals as well, either by replacing the standard set or adding additional animals and character faces, clothes, hairs etc

I'm an artist, not a programmer. So although I can't code, I understand enough about digging into an XML file to modify things like file names, or RGB values etc - especially by watching a tutorial. But anything beyond that is a mystery to me.

So I found a tutorial on YouTube which seemed to be the perfect thing for at least "replacing" graphics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8th_bVY-Ja0

And I started to follow the instructions, it looked pretty easy. But then the tutorial shows how you go into the XML files under \Mods\Core\Defs. But the problem is that my \Mods\Core\ folder is completely empty. No sub folders, no files. I even tried reinstalling Rimworld and also tried verifying the game files. It didn't help! It's still empty!

So I guess the question is: Is the folder supposed to be empty? Maybe the guy copied the files over from the \Data\Core\ folder into that one, and just didn't include it in the tutorial?

Second question: So what if I want to create additional faces, hair, bodies etc that don't replace the originals, but instead just add to the mix. How do you do that? Or does it require programming?

Any help would be much appreciated!

LWM

Hehe.  I was confused at first too.

Look at the "Core" folder in "Data" not "Mods" - that should have what you're looking for?

KatsPurr

Hey LWM and thank you for responding and trying to help!

The guy in the tutorial is definitely opening the XML files from under the /Mods/Core/Defs/ folder, not from under /Data/Core/Defs/. So I was of course surprised and confused when I looked at the same folder and just found it empty. Being a noob at this, I don't know whether it should be empty or not and I was just trying to follow his instructions exactly as he showed them.

The good news is, that all he seems to be doing is fetching the correct folder hierarchy structure for placing his own mod graphics.

So if the folder structure is identical under /Data/, maybe I can just look at it there instead of worrying about it. I'll try it and see what happens.

Thanks again!

LWM

It does appear to be the same.  It seems it got moved there for version 1.1?

KatsPurr

KatsPurr

Ok I've made some progress: I was able to figure out how to change bodies, apparel and hair and I found their correct paths (the only way I could figure out how was to download other people's mods to see how they structured the folders).

But I can't figure out what the path is for the heads textures. I would again use the same tactic (to download other people's mods to see how they did it) however either they are mods for Facial Stuff which is way more complicated than I want to get into. Or else their face mods are only on the Steam workshop, (thus I cannot download to see the structure).

In the old graphics pack that Tynan shared many years ago, I can see a folder hierarchy as follows:

/Textures/Things/Pawn/Humanlike/Heads/Female/
/Textures/Things/Pawn/Humanlike/Heads/Male/

But this path does not seem to work or do anything. All I see in the game is just the normal default faces.

Would anyone be able to tell me what path I should be using to put the assets in? I'm just using default file names for the heads.

KatsPurr

Ok so apparently I am not the only one who has been struggling with this. I just found this thread:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20384

And apparently heads are not moddable without a .dll file. I'm gonna try it.

Edit: Didn't work :(