Mechanoid Heavy Auto Turrets

Started by DuckBoy, February 29, 2020, 04:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuckBoy

Two of these things have landed in my farms now.  Any ideas on how to defeat these?  Even subdividing the map around my base into 11x11 cells I ended up with untraversable cells for a super long time.  I was pretty surprised to find out they had no minimum attack range, so two knights with shield batteries went down almost instantly on one of them. 

They seem to be pretty much immune to my standard plate armor plasteel longsword "CHAARRGGGEEEE!!!!!" plan, and they outrange every weapon I've seen (are sniper rifles longer than 46??) with enough long range accuracy to take out legs/torsos in 2-3 volleys.  Do I have to go up all the way to mortars to deal with these things as tribal? 

They're also immune to fire unfortunately.  I haven't tried a gigantic army of boars, but I suspect it wouldn't be particularly efficient.  I might have lucked out with a place I can toss frag grenades for one of them... but... damn.  Feels like I'm going to have to steal some mortars... or run away...  (Or New Game- CHARRRRRGGGGEEEE!!!!  ;D)

dearmad

Did you happen to have access to any EMP grenades? Might want to trade for those??

Ser Kitteh

Smoke and EMPs work wonders, but the thing is, you also kinda have to get lucky to get them.

zizard

Just wait for a caravan. One of the main goals of 1.1 is apparently to reduce player engagement with the combat system.

Lexa

Yeah, i really dont like the new mech turrets either. Extremely long range and firing fast enough for their supposedly low accuracy to not matter. Pretty much forces you to full on cheese (with some heavy micromanaging you can build/break walls around corners) or to sacrifice people in a suicide run. Or mortars. Really only mortars, you dont have much of a choice in fighting those. EMP and smoke grenade launchers see some success but not without getting someone killed while they get into range.

dearmad

Quote from: zizard on February 29, 2020, 03:00:31 PM
Just wait for a caravan. One of the main goals of 1.1 is apparently to reduce player engagement with the combat system.

"reduce?"

i have no understanding. I have been more involved in combat than ever since 1.1. It's very engaging and requires serious tactics now.

zizard

Quote from: dearmad on February 29, 2020, 11:27:36 PM
"reduce?"

i have no understanding. I have been more involved in combat than ever since 1.1. It's very engaging and requires serious tactics now.

There's very few ways to deal with 46 range stuff cleanly, e.g., mortars and caravans which are both low interaction. The proliferation of 46 range mechanoid weapons is a transparent attempt to enforce pawn damage aka "storytold". It doesn't "require" serious tactics, since the braindead non-interactive methods are superior.

lugaruclone

Mortars will eventually take them out but approaching them any other way does feel like suicide. I went to a downed colonist location, saw two of these bad boys with a bullet shield and mortar shield, turned around and left the colonist. "Yeah good luck getting rescued".

Goldenpotatoes

The addition of EMP/smoke launchers definitely wasn't a random thought, you really need at least the smoke launcher to close the gap more often than not unless you have the time to build basic fortifications (most of these clusters do seem to either be on a dormant timer/proximity activation). Running directly at these things is pretty suicidal so yeah, I'd argued there are some extra tactics required in taking these things out properly, but an unprepared colony is more than likely a screwed colony.

If you really want to push the gap, have your smoker wear a shield belt and push forward to closer cover then drop the belt so they can start laying smoke down for everyone else to push. I can pretty safely say I've never bothered with smoke until now, so something seems to be working.