Rats, we're the rats

Started by Adamiks, March 01, 2020, 11:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

Rats should have intermediate trainability
Those lil guys are highly intelligent, so seeing "Trainability : None" seems so off, and disappointing too

Edit:
Made a simple mod for it, but I still hope it becomes part of vanilla one day!

ShadowKatt

Done. Your rats are now fully trainable. Now, what would you like your 8oz rodents to do?

I don't think their lack of trainability is a reflection on their intelligence, just that...it's a rat. You can keep them as a pet, sure, but they're not gonna haul, they're not gonna rescue. They could guard you but the first raider with wooden plate and a hammer...Well, it was a good pet. The rats don't need to be changed. Find one, call him George, love him and hug him and hold him forever.

Adamiks

Quote from: ShadowKatt on March 01, 2020, 12:33:37 PM
Done. Your rats are now fully trainable. Now, what would you like your 8oz rodents to do?

I thought it was obvious - army of rats (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8)

Fair point tho, they are too small to haul/rescue anyway, so they can't have advanced trainability (ima edit OP). Intermediate tho - even raccoons and tortoises have it, so why not rats?

LWM

Super legit.

And a very straightforward mod, if you want to try your hand at making one!

Canute

Maybe you can give them some magic abilities.
Once a pack of 10/20 rats formed they mystical create a werrat for a day ? :-)

lugaruclone

Along those lines I would love for rats and some other critters to eat decaying corpses or even be attracted to them.

Canute

Rat's are gourmant, they prefer non-rotten food.

Adamiks

Quote from: Canute on March 02, 2020, 08:24:06 AM
Rat's are gourmant, they prefer non-rotten food.

True, but at least allowing them & other animals to digest rotten food (with risk or not) would be pretty neat

Adamiks

Quote from: LWM on March 01, 2020, 02:50:07 PM

Yup. I was gonna make a simple def change in the core files just for myself, but decided to turn it into a mod, and use a patch operation, instead
Anyway
[Click me for the rat army]

lugaruclone

Quote from: Adamiks on March 04, 2020, 10:54:11 AM
Quote from: LWM on March 01, 2020, 02:50:07 PM

Yup. I was gonna make a simple def change in the core files just for myself, but decided to turn it into a mod, and use a patch operation, instead
Anyway
[Click me for the rat army]

Yeah, it just feels like a missing niche in the ecology... if your map is full of dead raiders it should attract some sort of carrion eaters which would likely be undesirable.

Adamiks

Quote from: lugaruclone on March 04, 2020, 12:58:16 PM
Yeah, it just feels like a missing niche in the ecology... if your map is full of dead raiders it should attract some sort of carrion eaters which would likely be undesirable.

Someone could make a full-fledged mod around rotted food & corpses, and those attracting all sorts of creatures such as rats, vultures, or made-up ones, some of which could spread diseases
It should, of course, also include a full set of Plague Doctor clothing and a pimp cane

LWM

Quote from: lugaruclone on March 04, 2020, 12:58:16 PM

Megascarabs?

Canute

Dung beetle ?
They can live without food a long time and only can life from rotten corpses and maybe flith.
Predator don't like to hunt these, because of the bad taste.
I think that beetle could help to clear the map from all the skeleton corpses around ! :-)