[1.1] Slow or eaten click inputs since 1.1 on Mac [solved, BTT conflict]

Started by jimbo11, March 01, 2020, 05:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbo11

As of 1.1 the game seems to respond a little more slowly to clicking.  This, among other things, results in misclicks when trying to place areas/structures.  Using my mouse the same way I always have, clicking and then moving the mouse, there seems to be a delay between when the click is registered, though the mouse starts moving.  So for example when I try to place a stockpile zone which was meant to start at the upper left corner of this enclosed area (see pic), it started one square in from the edge (disregard bottom right portion, I'm just talking about the top left).

Sometimes a click will just be eaten entirely, or will miss the area by several cells.

I didn't play much 1.1 before previous hotfixes (was on 1.0 waiting for mod updates) so I'm not sure if this is just hotfix 4 or not.

This was present both with and without mods loaded, so it seems unlikely to have been caused by mods.  1.1 without Royalty, Steam version, MacOS 10.14.6, Late 2014 retina iMac with 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, and never had this problem with 1.0 either with or without mods.  I went back to 1.0 and tried it on a fresh save and did not have this problem.  I also tried another fresh save on 1.1 and did have the problem.  So it's nothing to do with my configuration, it's something to do with 1.1.

This doesn't quite make the game unplayable, but sluggish inputs really damper the experience.

edit: 1.1.2560 64-bit.

Problem was first noticed on an Anker 2.4G wireless vertical mouse.  I also tried a wired Apple Mighty Mouse and a Logitech G602 (also 2.4g) and both displayed the same behavior.

Ark

Please state the exact version of your game. It can be found in the top left corner of the main menu and in Version.txt at the install folder. Hotfixes are coming in fast and frequently nowadays.
An issue with high poll rate mice was fixed lately. If you could, say, try a different mouse or change the poll rate (Hz) of the mouse, that might help.
I do not have this issue in 1.1.2560 rev1172 Linux drm-free version, regardless of mouse or poll rate used.

jimbo11

1.1.2560 64-bit.

Problem was first noticed on an Anker 2.4G wireless vertical mouse.  I also tried a wired Apple Mighty Mouse and a Logitech G602 (also 2.4g) and both displayed the same behavior.  I tried adjusting the dpi on the Anker mouse and nothing changed.

jimbo11

Seems to be getting worse later in the game.  So it's got something to do with fps/lag, perhaps.

jimbo11

jimbo11

Here's another thing: on any checkmark (so, deciding to add people/animals to caravans, turning off ingredients in crafting dialogs, etc.), I occasionally get *double* clicks.  So it'll have an X, I'll click it, and it'll click over to a checkmark and then immediately back over to an X.

So I'm getting ignored click inputs sometimes, laggy click inputs often, and double click inputs other times.

Ark

I noticed that the log was not posted. Maybe there are some clues there.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
However, you have humungous 5120x2880 resolution, that's a lot of pixels to push for 2014 hardware. Although the iMac is a desktop, it has AMD Radeon R9 M290X graphics, which is designed for mobile workstations. If there was a performance hit, setups like yours would be the first ones to act up.
If I were you, I'd check if the earliest available version of 1.1 shows slowdown as well. If it does, then it's not an issue with the hotfixes. Lots of stuff was updated in 1.1, including the unity engine from a 2016 version to 2019. Maybe there is something that can be optimized, it's propably a low priority.
I would quarter the resolution to 2560x1440 and see how that runs. That would put it close to what I consider to be an ideal pixel pitch, actually.

jimbo11

How do I run on earliest 1.1?  That doesn't seem to be a possible selection in the beta selection box.  I can pick unstable, opt out, previous, or 1.0 or everything before it.

I run all games at 1440.  And my hardware didn't change between 1.0 and 1.1.  As stated the issue does not show up on 1.0 with the same settings, but does show up on 1.1.  Besides, this game is not graphically intense, so I can't imagine my graphics card is having difficulty pushing 2d.

The log file which that post directs me to does not seem to be related to rimworld (it's from Tabletop simulator, which I tried last night for a minute).  I just launched rimworld, started a new game with no mods, clicked around a bit, made a video showing two of the errors I'm experiencing, and quit, and did not notice a new rimworld log.  The log I can find for rimworld (player-prev.log) is several days old and includes many mods.  I think it's from before 1.1 and thus wouldn't be helpful.  I'm not sure how to trigger a fresh log.

Below is the video.  In it, you can see the "multiple clicks from one click" behavior on the caravan selection screen.  When it switches over from red to green and back to red in one frame, each of those is one click.  You can also see that the behavior is inconsistent.  Then I switch back to the normal screen and create zones to demonstrate the eaten click inputs.  Each time I move my mouse, I'm preceding it with a click at the same speed that I used to do on 1.0.  You can see that sometimes it creates the zone at the size I'm looking for, sometimes the click doesn't register at all, and sometimes the click registers slowly such that the zone doesn't get created until after I've moved my mouse a bit.  This applies to placement of all sorts of objects, the zone is just a way that I could demonstrate it visually.  This is on latest 1.1 unstable, but it showed the same on 1.1 stable.  Happens with or without mods and early or late in the game (this is without mods on a fresh save).

https://streamable.com/575pi

Ark

If you don't have it downloaded and it's not available on Steam, I guess you can't test it. It's a shame there isn't a download service with version history.
The logfiles seem to be a hot mess right now with people uploading old logs, new ones being nowhere to be found.
You could start RimWorld with switch -logfile MyNewRimWorldLog.log. If that still doesn't generate a new log, it could be a permissions issue on the folder. No idea about the exact steps about how to do that on a Mac, sorry.
The mouse thing looks annoying, but judging by the lack of screaming, there aren't many affected, possibly just you. Update all the drivers? Backup, nuke, pave and install everything from scratch? Channel the spirit of Steve Jobs? Yeah, I'm out of ideas. No-one with a degree in Apple wizardry around?

jimbo11

Seems doubtful that it would be any driver or configuration issue, considering the problem doesn't show up on 1.0 and does show up on 1.1, with no other configuration changes on my end.  Also, Mac drivers don't get updated independently like windows - they're bundled with OS upgrades.

I mean, a bug is a bug whether or not there are "people screaming."  Others might be affected and not know about this forum, others might be affected in the future since the update just came out, whatever's making this bug happen might affect experiences in other ways, etc.  It's clear that something changed (as you said, an issue with mice was 'fixed', which may have caused this related issue - who knows), and it's affecting experiences, so it's worth looking into.  Every bug has a "patient zero", so to speak.

Here's the extent of the log generated from launching a fresh game (using "set launch options" in steam), fresh save, no mods, and only fiddling around for a moment or two in the game instead of actually playing for a bit.  The problems were showing up already in the fresh game, so if there's anything in the log that would have shown up when they were triggered, it would be here.  But it doesn't seem like there's much:

Mono path[0] = '/Users/jimbo11/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/Users/jimbo11/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
Initialize engine version: 2019.2.17f1 (8e603399ca02)
[XR] Discovering subsystems at path /Users/jimbo11/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/UnitySubsystems
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Initializing Metal device caps: AMD Radeon R9 M295X
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in  0.106 seconds
UnloadTime: 0.466318 ms
Metal RecreateSurface[0x10e6b52b0]: surface size 5120x2880
Command line arguments: -logfile MyNewRimWorldLog.log
RimWorld 1.1.2567 rev775
Plugins: Couldn't open libc, error: dlopen(libc, 2): image not found

(Filename: ./Runtime/Misc/Plugins.cpp Line: 306)

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 51 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 10546.
Total: 57.903426 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.741883 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.290096 ms MarkObjects: 56.809317 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.061287 ms)

Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 0.226038 ms

Unloading 19 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 10817.
Total: 55.033235 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.519524 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.232663 ms MarkObjects: 54.189925 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.090589 ms)

Initializing new game with mods:
  - Ludeon.RimWorld
Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 16207.
Total: 113.039379 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.922531 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.614459 ms MarkObjects: 111.458141 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.043704 ms)

Setting up 4 worker threads for Enlighten.
  Thread -> id: 700005dc0000 -> priority: 1
  Thread -> id: 700005e43000 -> priority: 1
  Thread -> id: 700005ec6000 -> priority: 1
  Thread -> id: 700006e17000 -> priority: 1

Ark

I found this. You wouldn't happen to have Window Snapping active in BetterTouchTool? Or something similar?
https://community.folivora.ai/t/mouse-lag-in-newer-unity-games-with-window-snapping-active/10492

jimbo11

That'll do it.  I did not have window snapping active (tbh don't even know what that function is), but I do have BTT (for custom mouse gestures in various apps).  Disabled it for Rimworld ("disable BTT for current app" from menubar icon) and the behavior is back to how it used to be in 1.0, no more double clicks, no more click lag.  Weird how the clash popped up in 1.1 and not 1.0.  Thanks!

Is there something on this forum to mark a topic as "solved" etc.?  (I just edited the title of the post to indicate a solution)