Why Royalty?

Started by ProfZelonka, March 02, 2020, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canaris

So... take away from the modders' creativity and control blah blah blah

You asked what features should take precedence/i would like to see over royalty and i answered.

And before you say anything - i supported the game from the start. I bought dlc. And i even liked it.
But i wont bullshit myself that it isnt halfassed and something that is completely irrelevant and nobody asked for.

If someone asked me what i wanted for Rimworld id say :
Making guns into actual threat and not peashooters.

Ammo and equipment system so my pawns can carry more shit than just one weapon.

Supression system so raiders arent all kamikaze and basic firearms tactics work for combat.

Adding additional layers to gameplay like hygiene/water needs so that the more extreme biomes are even more challenging and fun.

Adding kids/pregnancy/sex side of the human nature like RJW does.

Adding seeds so you cant just grow vast fields of devilstrand from nothing.

Adding basic terraforming options and adding more agriculture options like fertilizing, irrigating and toiling soil aka something that humans were able to do since at least 5000bc.

Adding smelting and ore processing and overall crafting overhaul into the game so i would have to establish some industry and not forge military grade rifles on my lap.

Adding psychology and entire mood system rework based on pawn psyche, upbringing, background etc so i wouldnt have people going apeshit because i dared to execute that heavily armed raider who wanted to destroy my colony. Or tribals going berserk because they *gasp* had to sleep on the floor.

You know what would never make my list ?
System that turns my colonists into even more whiny bitches who, to add insult to injury, are getting increasingly useless and more whiny in exchange for some minor powers psypowers which you cant even use that much because muh psy burnout.

As for the whole "narrowminded fans" bullshit - first of all you dont even use the correct word and second of all he gets paid for making this game so yeah he better have some patience for critique for people who basically employ him.
Phoneposter - typos will happen.

Adamiks

easytarget

Quote from: Canaris on March 04, 2020, 05:07:38 AM

You know what would never make my list ?
System that turns my colonists into even more whiny bitches who, to add insult to injury, are getting increasingly useless and more whiny in exchange for some minor powers psypowers which you cant even use that much because muh psy burnout.

Amen
This space intentionally left blank

ProfZelonka

Well shit, no one's gonna top that..

/thread

Breadbox

I dunno what's going on here, but I'd like to see an expansion focused on quests and territorial control, I want to manage my mercenary band/Warband and fight for control of planet's surface. There's a world map, but its use is very limited.

lugaruclone

For me DLC is best when it does what modders cannot do and enables new types of mods. This... is hard in Rimworld. Players can pretty much mod whatever they want and 'new assetts' are not a huge deal in a game with a very simple art style.

That said I think I see many doors this DLC will open up... for example Jecrell gave us 'spells' (force, magic, etc) but now they are mainstream for anyone to mod. We had guests but they where always buggy, now having people stay for a while is pretty mainstream. Shuttles formalize the work behind SRTS and above all...

Royalty is hopefully not the only faction we can have. If we can get something like Royalty but for Corporations, Criminal Empires, Space Militias, Religious Sects, etc... that would be insane. Now a half dozen off planet factions would be fighting for your attention and you could play through to 'duke' but also to 'general' or 'chairman' or 'cardinal' or whatever with specific gear and room requirements...

ProfZelonka

Quote from: Breadbox on March 04, 2020, 01:07:37 PM
I dunno what's going on here, but I'd like to see an expansion focused on quests and territorial control, I want to manage my mercenary band/Warband and fight for control of planet's surface. There's a world map, but its use is very limited.

+1 Agreed! This is why I used to like the Total War games and thought that Command & Conquer lacked. RimWorld brings the best of all worlds and territory control would be a huge plus to the game play and to "get the colonists out more".

ShadowKatt

Quote from: lugaruclone on March 04, 2020, 02:16:03 PM
For me DLC is best when it does what modders cannot do and enables new types of mods. This... is hard in Rimworld. Players can pretty much mod whatever they want and 'new assetts' are not a huge deal in a game with a very simple art style.

That said I think I see many doors this DLC will open up... for example Jecrell gave us 'spells' (force, magic, etc) but now they are mainstream for anyone to mod. We had guests but they where always buggy, now having people stay for a while is pretty mainstream. Shuttles formalize the work behind SRTS and above all...

Royalty is hopefully not the only faction we can have. If we can get something like Royalty but for Corporations, Criminal Empires, Space Militias, Religious Sects, etc... that would be insane. Now a half dozen off planet factions would be fighting for your attention and you could play through to 'duke' but also to 'general' or 'chairman' or 'cardinal' or whatever with specific gear and room requirements...

I think you raise a good point there. With the modding community doing everything they do(Thank you modders) what is left to expand on? In that case I think there's really only two things to add that the modders either can't or shouldn't. Starting with the latter, look at your mod list and tell me how many are content and how many are quality of life? You probably have more of the latter than the former. I see no reason why the QoL mods shouldn't just be added to the main. Things like Priority Treatment, pretty much a mandatory mod because without it your doctors will prioritize LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE while people bleed to death. it's not even updated yet but I'm still using it in a less than complete state because I cannot micromanage all of my doctors and patients while trying to put out all the fires after a raid. There's really no excuse for that AI behaviour.

The other side of this is lore, and I think this is what Tynan and his team should be focusing on, and seem to be doing. We started with crashing on a rimworld. We're from an advanced civilization, shit went wrong, and here we are. Then we got the tribal start, so we could be from the planet and deal with the interlopers landing on our world(Death to the imperialists!). We got the Rich Explorer and Naked start, both are good but both are part of the same lore. Now we have the Empire. Not only does the rest of humanity exist, but it's a massive, multistar-system EMPIRE with better armor than us, better guns than us, and technologically enhanced psychic abilities. This is something that mechanically modders can add but they can't write the official canon of the story. Only the developer can do that.So that should be the focus, I think. As I stated before, I want to see in the future DLC a new race as well, the Archotechs. The less murderous AIs from the archotech worlds and who knows? Maybe they even bring a friendly scyther with them.

Canaris

>muh modders did that already
So what ?
Modders often lack the skill, manpower, time or even things like access to the source code. And saying that its hard to think of something modders didnt already do its half truth at best.

I would welcome big code rewrite to greatly optimize the game, z levels, big city state mechanic where making your own faction has a meaning and you can influence planetary politics, DF like tracking of history and population, maybe some sort space aspect of the game where you generate the entire solar system and can eventually launch expeditions to another asteroids/planets, actually working vehicles aka things that modders cant actually do.

Meanwhile we got some cosmetics and copypasted the most disliked and reviled mechanics from DF.
Phoneposter - typos will happen.