Best animals for breeding?

Started by Jan2607, March 03, 2020, 02:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I want to breed animals to sustain my colony with meat. What do you think is the best animal for this?
My main concern is about the food consumption compared to meat yield. Is it better to have hundreds of small animals (chickens, guinea pigs) or to have some big animals like muffalos?

fritzgryphon

You can consult the Rimworld wiki for exact numbers, but cows, chicken and pigs have a good feed/meat output ratio.

I go with cows or chickens because they also produce animal products that are equivalent to meat.  Usually chickens because they grow up faster and are less of a loss if killed by a predator.

Maybe pigs if you have a lot of corpses. Supplying free food to the animals is critical.  You can feed them grown vegetables or hay, but it's inefficient.

Whifflepits

Pigs are one of my personal favorites. They eat anything, they can be taught to haul, and excluding the value of their meat their skin is also pretty valuable when made into clothing.

I usually end up with 6-10 pet haulers and the rest get butchered as they mature. They breed fast considering the resources you get too. Throw in chickens or ducks for your main meat source and you've got it made.

Duck populations tend to explode when you're not looking. Most recently I didn't realize how bad mine had gotten until I saw a notice saying 62 of them had caught the plague, and that turned out to be only half of them.

ShadowKatt

Chickens. Definitely chickens. Build yourself a 1x2 room with a heater and a stockpile for the eggs and you're all set. Nothing could possibly go wrong with this plan.

TrashMan

Quote from: Jan2607 on March 03, 2020, 02:13:40 PM
I want to breed animals to sustain my colony with meat. What do you think is the best animal for this?
My main concern is about the food consumption compared to meat yield. Is it better to have hundreds of small animals (chickens, guinea pigs) or to have some big animals like muffalos?

The current balance is bonkers, as it's not effective to feed animals.
I'd recommend mods that increase grass growth/yield or the one that has grass cutting produce hay. Probably both.