Mining Expeditionon 1.1.

Started by kclace, March 05, 2020, 06:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

1.1 Vanilla Game uses following scenario:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2001486690

MODS: Faction Control and vanilla events expanded. Only other factions are savage tribes and mechanoids.

Narrative to follow.

kclace

Video Log Entry Date Unknown.

Entry 1:

Ramos: Ugh yeah, is this on. Right. We're supposed to make these video logs and send them to HQ via tight beam. So yeah. We'll keep you updated.

Entry 2:

Chung: Good morning HQ! We've made the journey from MineCorp's Urbworld in the inner part of the system, AU 1.15 to  Rimworld PPV22 at the slightly further out AU 1.5. It's cold here but the atmosphere is breathable and radiation levels are low, thank you Mr. friendly G class star! We seem to have landed in a cold bog. As you guys mentioned at our briefing, we landed here to avoid tribal activity. Apparently, terraforming was only 99% successful here. Great planet but too cold for farming. That's why the original colonies failed and they all degenerated into savage tribes. Now that's interesting stuff. But we landed far enough away from them so no worries right?

Salamo's voice: Hey Chung get over and help me unload. We got work to do!

Entry 3:

Gobell: Entry 3 Gobell commencing. Base camp is set up. But ummm, the lady that came with us, Katheryn. Yeah she's missing now. She said she was going for a walk in the forest and well, we looked for her. But she was never found.

Gobell, turns his head voice over heard. "That's all I needed to say right? We're leaving the extreme mental break down and attempted murder out right?"

, Salamo, Gobell, Chung

kclace

Entry 4:

A panicked Gobbell appears on the screen. He is visibly shaken and is breathing heavily.

Gobbell: Help, help. We're under attack here. You got to do something. I thought...I thought. These savages weren't supposed to be coming here. But they are here. And I mean. Geez, this guy was trying to break in through the door and..I just watched Ramos stab this guy with a knife.

Ramos shouts  from out of sight, as Gobbell disappears from view: "What the hell are you doing. You weren't supposed to mention that. If I catch a charge for anything that happens out here, you're a dead man yah here me?"

Gobbel appears on the screen agasin.

Gobbell: Right so let me cut to the chase. Either you get us off this planet, or you send us some armed security. We're not soldiers. We didn't sign up to fight in a war!

Return Message From MineCorpo Received 48 Hours Later

Computerized female voice: Thank you for submitting your Significant Incident Report. At MineCorp the well being and safety of our employees is paramount. If your current work station is located off world, please submit your first quarter productivity report. Once submitted, a representative will reach out to you. Thank you for working for MineCorp!

kclace

Entry 5:

Chung: Ok I'm sending our productivity report. I guess this is to justify our extraction/security request. Unfortunatelt, we haven't had much luck with the ground penetrating scanner. It's weird. Every other place we've gone to it's worked fine, but it's like something has changed now and it doesn't work. In any case, we've mined up the surface steel deposits and we're also sitting on a ton of wood. So, worst case scenario, you can call us a logging camp. Hope to here from you soon HQ.

Incoming Return Message: 48 Hours Later

A balding middle aged man wearing a suit and thick glasses appears on the screen:

Edward: Good Morning Off world Miners. Or night, whichever it is when you receive this. I'm Edward, your corporate representative. We're going to re-classify your outfit as a class 1 logging camp. Fortunately wood is very much a valuable commodity here so we're very interested in your continued operation. Your request for an armed security detail is authorized. They should make landfall in about a week's time. Rest assured they'll keep the natives at bay until the operation is complete. I'll be looking forward to hearing your next report.

kclace

One week later: Incoming Message

A woman in full marine armor appears on the video screen:

Jill: This is Captain Jill Stanrose, MineCorp Security. We're on approach to the rimworld now. ETA five hours.
[Some radio chatter is heard on the background] Jill looks up, then the transmission cuts out.

Video Segment:

Video camera shaking and pointed skyward. The sky lights up with streaks of light. The dull thuds of explosions  can be heard in the background.

Ramos, Chung and Gobbell are heard chattering in the distant. "It's a damn spoace battle going on up there. That's suppose to be our security detail. What the hell is going on?"

Video camera drops to the ground as what appears to be a massive chunk of a spaceship is seen hitting the ground nearby.

Ramos: Take cover! Back to the base!

kclace

Incoming Message 24 hours later

Edward appears on the screen, a dismayed look on his face:

Edward: Ermm, yes, I don't know how to put this but we've had to suspend operations in your sector due to intense pirate activity. So, regrettably, you'll be on your own for the foreseeable future. Have no fear though, I've arranged for an independent freighter to contact you about every ten days from now on. Soooo...you'll be able to  get your raw materials to market and be re-supplied regularly. And, emmm, I know this may be unseemly, but the freighter will also be bringing some weaponry to help you defend yourselves. I know this is not ideal, but, I think you should think of this as an opportunity. Remember, the longer this mission goes on for, the more hazard pay you collect, not to mention great tax benefits. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing your next productivity report. Good luck out there. 

Video Log:

Salamo, Gobbell, Chung, and Ramos are seen sifting through the steaming rubble of space ship debris. A few unrecognizable corpses lie in the background.

Chung: I don't see the chick in the marine armor. Damn shame we couldn't salvage that.

Gobbell: Umm, even better would have been if they were ALIVE? Now we're really screwed.

Salamo: Shut up Gobbell. We knew the risk when we signed up for this gig. We know what we goota do now. Salvage everything that's not nailed down, and sell it to that freighter when it shows up. We're gonna make a fortune on this run.

Gobbell just shakes his head and mutters.

Chung bends down to examine a corpse.

Chung:  So are these corpses our people or the pirates?

Ramos retorts with a sneer: Does it matter?

End video transmission

kclace

Entry 6

Salamo appears slight drunk: Hello there Edward, or whoever the rep is these days. That freighter sure took its sweet time getting here. Let me do the math. We've been here 30 days now and 25 days ago you said it would be here in 10 days so that's...really friggin late! In any case we managed to offload the steel and wood, and now we have plenty of meds, beer, and guns. I'm lovin this Heavy SMG I got. Hick.

Entry 7:

Chung appears looking a little pale: We ermm, fended off another attack from the savages. The new weapons worked great. We even managed to take a couple prisoners. Which is kind of perplexing. What exactly are we supposed to do with prisoners?

kclace

Video Log

Video shows Ramos and Gobbell arguing at the dining room table.'

Ramos: I don't care if you think he'll join us some day. What do I care. We've got a slave ship up there ready to take both of em for a decent price right now and we're running low on food. So we're doing it.

Gobbell shakes his head: But that's human trafficking. We get caught, we'll never see the light of day again. It's also morally wrong.

Ramos puts a pistol on the table: I'm going over to the comms and cutting that deal. You wanna stop me, take that pistol and do something.

Gobbell just sighs and shakes his head: You know I'm incapable of violence.

Ramos: Yeah, that's a crappy trait you have. And yet I still find ways to make it funny.

Ramos moves off camera and is heard dialing up the coms console.

kclace

Entry 8:

Ramos: The savages attacked again yesterday. This time they were a lot smarter. They managed to outfank us pretty quick and even downed Salamo with arrow fire before our heavy smgs cut them down. Salamo recovered, but we're not taking any chances. We widened out the barricades so it doesn't happen again...hopefully.

Video Transcript

Salamo, Gobbell, Chung and Ramos are standing outside  when a fireball streaks across the sky. "Looks like a transport pod crash, shouts Ramos. "There might be survivors, let's take a look!"

Video shows Salamo, Gobbel, Chung, and Ramos standing around the dining room table, nursing beers.

Chung is heard murmuring. "So that lady we rescued from the transport pod. We're pretty sure she's from the security team right?"

Salamo: Ugh yeah, the uniform was kind of a dead giveaway. So I guess the party is coming to an end gents. Assuming she survives, we're no longer on our own.

Ramos: Yeah but there's not gonna be any problems right?

Everyone looks at Gobbell.

Salamo: Gobbell, just keep your damn mouth shut around the wench eh? We don't want anything getting back to HQ that casts us in a bad light. Agreed?

Gobbell nods his head: I'm no snitch Salamo.

kclace

Entry 9

Daniela: This is Daniela Rodriguez, MineCorp Security Class 1. I am the only apparent survivor of the pirate attack on the SS Nimenz. I was able to escape safely in a transport pod, and was rescued by MineCorp employees at logging camp A1. I am taking command of the expedition pursuant to regulation 5A.5.

I've reviewed the security logs, and interviewed the miners separately. They've done some questionable things and it hadn't been for my arrival I would dare say they may have gone full blown pirate. While, it will be up to HQ to assess their conduct, I would say at a minimum they will need a full psychological evaluation after their tour has ended. I'll await further instructions from HQ.

Entry 10

Daniela: Day 70 of the expedition day 10 for me. The miners loaded their excess wood and steel into a nearby independent freighter, just like we expected. I understand this has been the expedition's second profitable haul for the company. Speaking of which. Is it too much to ask when the next crew will arrive? This crew needs to be rotated off world, and replaced with more compliant employees.

One other minor note. The miner's found their first deposit of uranium. I've ordered them to set up a drilling site immediately.

kclace

Incoming Video Message, Three Days Later

Edward: The uranium is of interest to us. We'll dispatch a back up crew to replace the errant miners immediately. The ship should reach you in about five days.

Video Clip:

Salamo, Chung, Gobbell, and Ramos are sitting around the dining table drinking beer.

Salamo: We're finally going home. This is great man. After this, I'm taking at least a month's leave. I was thing maybe Degema Beach, the Outer Rings. Oh man. Thank God we found that uranium, that got ol fat man's attention real fast didn't it?

Gobbell: Yeah but the security chick's been going through the logs. Who knows what she's been reporting on us. I don't know. I can't help but think we're going to get screwed over. Actually I won't be. You guys will be. I'm the compliant non violent one remember?

Ramos and Chung: Shut up Gobbell!

kclace

Author's Notes on the Conclusion

I used god mode to create a space ship and added a few random space refugee pawns, as shown below. I powered up the ship and played through the first raid that materialized. I let that be my character's final battle.

kclace

Entry 11:

Gobbell: This is the last entry for myself, Ramos, Chung, and Salamos. The backup crew arrived today in a class 5 interplanetary transport, right on schedule. We've been informed that we are going back to Mine Corp HQ on the urbworld in the inner part of the system. Daniela will remain behind with the back up crew to continue her work as head of security. From what we've been told, we're going to be on mandatory leave when we get back for about 3 months, then we'll get our next assignments. It's unlikely I'll ever work with these guys again, but it's probably for the best. I really belong behind a desk, not out here. But, this was some great resume building that's for sure. In any case, we're going to fire up the Class 5's reactor. It should take about a day before it's ready for inter planetary flight. Thank God we're not going interstellar, that would take 15 days!

Entry 12:

Salamo: And now's time for my last entry. I'm literally about to get on the ship, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed shooting savages with this assault rifle. It's been a blast! The last battle was the best by far. We expected them to attack when the back up crew arrived. I mean who wouldn't? This time they attacked in two group's from two different directions. One attacked the Class 5 and one attacked the base. So we focused on defending the ship, then swung around to relieve the base. Piece of cake.

Man I must have mowed down the majority of em, but everyone else helped out. Cung and Ramos just sprayed and prayed with their heavy smgs, and Daniela put the last one down with a head shot from her pistol. Chung really got beat down bad. I mean he's in bad shape, but I'm sure he'll recover on the ride home. Other than that, we're in good shape.

We passed off our guns to the back up crew on the way out. I remember one of em said to me. "I'm a miner, not a soldier." I just laughed and told him that's what we said when we showed up. Not that they got too much to be worried about. The savages will leave them well enough alone for a time once the ship leaves. In any case, I'm outta here. Looking forward to seeing my bank account soon.

kclace

Epilogue

3 Months Later: Republic of Ansali, Urbworld.

Ramos, Chung and Salamo are sitting around in a small concrete holding cell at the Ansali City space port. The last 3 months had been great. The last 24 hours, not so much. As soon as they got back, they all quit their jobs at Minecorp (Except Gobbell who took a desk job), then went on a lunar beach vacation.  When they got back to the urbworld though, they were stopped at customs and detained.

Ramos rubs his head, like he is in a daze: "Well I'm guessing that this isn't a drunk in public charge since morning came and we're still here right?"

Salamo shakes his head: I read the warrant when they were bringing us in. The charges are piracy and human trafficking. That's some serious stuff. Please tell me we've got enough money for a decent lawyer?

Chung frowns: "Umm, no. We don't. Well I don't anyway. We did have a hell of a fun vacation though."

Just then Edward and Gobbell appear outside the jail cell.

Edward: "Good morning gentlemen. I have good news. The local Magistrate has set your bail at 500,000 Corporate Dollars. I'm prepared to post your bail. However, as a condition of your release, I'd like you to take on another job for me. It involves going back to a certain rimworld. Gobbell here has graciously volunteered to be your supervisor on this new expedition."

ChirpScree

This is a lot of fun to read. YAY