Animals SWARM my food store every winter.

Started by BlackFlag, March 05, 2020, 10:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackFlag

Registered just to report this *GAME*FUCKING*BREAKING* problem.

First cold snap of the year happens.  Suddenly, i've got 30 wild animals, no exageration, in my food storage, eating all my food.

I'd think it was a one off, it it hadn't happend to me THREE FUCKING TIMES.  First cold snap of the year, and suddenly there's a fucking party going on in the freezer.

Easy to deal with right?  Just kill them?  Yeah, 3 megasloths 2 rhinos and 6 or 7 boomrats in the mix. 

Just started playing again 2 days ago since I saw 1.1 was out.
This NEVER happened to me when I played before. 

WHY ARE ANIMALS OPENING DOORS NOW?  YES, I'M SURE THEY'RE OPENING THE DOORS, NOT FOLLOWING AFTER COLONISTS WHO OPENED THEM!!!  YES, I'M SURE THEY'RE NOT PRE-EXISTING RUINS DOORS THAT I DIDN'T CLAIM.

WHY THE FUCK?????  LIKE A COLD SNAP ISN'T ENOUGH OF A PROBLEM, NOW 6/8 OF MY COLONISTS ARE SERIOUSLY INJURED, AND MY FOOD STORE IS ON FIRE, AND THE REMAINING FEW FIGHTING THE FIRE ARE BREATHING IN 600 DEGREE AIR.

FUCK THIS GAME, AND FUCK YOUR DLC.  I WANTED TO TRY THE GAME OUT AGAIN TO SEE IF IT STILL HOLDS MY INTEREST BEFORE BUYING, AND HOLY FUCK.  NO. THANK. YOU.

Also,  it is SUPER fucking obnoxious to ask for the developer's first name as a registration robot check.  Go fuck yourself Tynan.

LWM

Someone sounds a little cranky!

I have to admit, that's a very strange thing - I was all set to say "You have tried walls and doors" (I can be snarky), but uh.....going through doors??  Are they maybe following a pet through?

Boboid

On the off chance that you'd like to find a solution to your problem - You could always post some screenshots before/after or better yet, your save file.

Just go to options and press the "Open save data folder" button to find your save.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Canute

I use that feature to lure the wild animals too me, instead to run around the map to hunt them.
It is a standard food search behavior when your food is at the map and not enclosed in a room.
So they can path to that food, and a forced open door don't block them.

Solution for you, be sure all the food is inside a room any meal or raw resource will attrackt wild animals like at reallike racoons, fox or wild boars invade cities now.

Diodoron

Wild animals can as far as I know only open doors that preexisted on the map as in the new ruins. This can be prevented by simply claiming the door. Could this be the case?

Canute

Only your colony animals are able to open doors, so far i know no wild animals can open doors.

UltimateTobi

Never had this happen unless there was a path to my food (no door, held open door, etc).

So I suggest to keep your freezer closed. And if you happen to have built in ruins, claim all that to make sure it's yours.
Your generic Steam user.

ReZpawner

Wild animals can't open doors, they can however sneak in if the doors are open. This includes that short time when a colonist passes through them.
What you're describing is a part of the game. If animals are starving, they will charge whatever piece of food is left outside - exploit it! Put down some traps, and watch those giant furry bastards bleed to death, and then turn them into the very thing they stole from you. As for the boomrats, you may want to invest in some stone buildings.

RicRider

You didn't claim the door. You set up base in a ruin at the start of the game and didn't claim the door. Hence the wild animals can pass through it, because it doesn't belong to you.

I could be wrong, but that would be my guess is why this is happening.
##Coding Scrub##

Teleblaster18

Quote from: RicRider on March 06, 2020, 07:22:07 AM
You didn't claim the door. You set up base in a ruin at the start of the game and didn't claim the door. Hence the wild animals can pass through it, because it doesn't belong to you.

I could be wrong, but that would be my guess is why this is happening.

I agree.  Enemies and neutral animals can pass through unclaimed doors as if they weren't there. 

Willing to bet this is the problem.

To the OP: go back to the game, click on "Architect" in the taskbar, then "Orders", and look for "Claim" (indicated by a red flag).  Your mouse cursor should now have a little red flag attached to it.  Start clicking on your freezer doors to "claim" them, and have them recognized as belonging to your colony.

You can also do a "mass-claim" by left-clicking and holding down the mouse button, then dragging your mouse across the entirety of your buildings.

If animals still pass through your doors after this step, it's a potential bug.  If not, those doors now belong to you, and your problem should be solved.

Ramsis

While I do enjoy reading some genuine panic when a player needs some help with a small problem I'm actually the reason why it asks you who the dev is upon making a new account. o/

Sorry bout that, it keeps the spam bots down.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Breadbox

So, can anyone else confirm that wild animals can open claimed doors?

B@R5uk

I think a bot got through all the antibots checks. Look, all the signs to the fore: one-post forum newbie, provocative content to attract attention, no subsequent activity...

Canute

I don't think he is a bot.
It is just a very upset/angry player who just encounter that his strategy didn't go well.
So he decide to create an account and shout out his frustration into the forum and blame others.
Do you ever saw video's when people destroy computer equip after their game went bad ? :-)

Bozobub

Petty odd post for a bot, considering no links or other bot-droppings are strewn about :P.
Thanks, belgord!