Structured xml Files

Started by Dr. Z, August 14, 2014, 07:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

Somexmlfilesinthegameareterriblyunstructured. Workingwiththemislikereadingatextwithoutspaces.

So I decided to take those files and give it a proper structure.
This upload is both to save you from having to do this and a backup for myself if I e.g. install a new version and delete the old withput copy-paste.

A BIG thanks to Neurotoxin because he told me about the Free Online XML Formatter which did just what I needed without me even running it...
Although this post is a bit unnecessary because it takes like five seconds to structure an xml with this tool I just decided to upload them anyway.

If you know of other xml files which are unstructured, jut post it and I will add them to the list.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Prasie the Squirrel!

Shinzy

Quote from: Dr. Z on August 14, 2014, 07:15:35 AM
If you know of other xml files which are unstructured, jut post it and I will add them to the list.

BodyParts.xml in BodyPartDefs
Bodies.xml in BodyDefs
and Injuries.xml in InjuryDefs

The body parts is especially fun to look at =P *brr*

Dr. Z

...so that's what you get from being polite...let's see, luckily I don't have to do this all at once.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Dr. Z

Prasie the Squirrel!

Neurotoxin

Thought I'd share this for you, it's saved me some headaches (although it won't help with excessive newlines) http://www.freeformatter.com/xml-formatter.html

Dr. Z

Neurotoxin you are a goddammned hero. I didn't even had to run the programm! I just copy-pasted the text and it was structured. Which brought me to the idea that this issue could actually have it's reason to different programms used to write/watch/edit this files. But I don't have a clue why this is only the case with this files.

Added Bodies.xml and BodyParts.xml
Prasie the Squirrel!

Neurotoxin

Quote from: Dr. Z on August 16, 2014, 04:47:26 AM
Neurotoxin you are a goddammned hero. I didn't even had to run the programm! I just copy-pasted the text and it was structured. Which brought me to the idea that this issue could actually have it's reason to different programms used to write/watch/edit this files. But I don't have a clue why this is only the case with this files.

Added Bodies.xml and BodyParts.xml

Haha, no problem. I found it a nightmare with some of that formatting as well so whenever I need to read something I pass it through that, especially when I want to paste it in a code block on the forum or update my github. When I write it I tab delimit the lines which looks horrible in github and bbcode's formats so I run it through that tool with a 3 or 4 space delimiter.

Dr. Z

It seems like I accidentely readded wood planks back into the game, so you will see it e.g. in the stockpile list if you've played with it. Uploaded a new version wich fixes that, although you might get error warnings if you change the files and then continue playing a colony you started with the old structured file. I'm sorry for that.
Prasie the Squirrel!