Please consider making Caravan ambush more interesting/dangerous

Started by Breadbox, March 12, 2020, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadbox

I love caravanning, traveling and going on an adventure above all else, I love spontaneous skirmishes without hiding behind kill boxes or turrets.
Unfortunately, since 1.0, all ambush events were reduced to a joke, all sense of peril and
is excitement is lost, every single attack is either orchestrated by a single hobo or manhunting bunny.

I searched high and low, there is no xml option or mods that could change the size of caravan ambush/manhunter pack. Please consider making caravan battle sizes configurable with xml or make it a scenario option :'(, these incredibly anticlimatic encounters really ruined the mood.

Wanderer_joins

I second that. Since 1.0 caravan ambushed has been so nerfed to a simple joke, and there is no way they can be dangerous unless you really mess up or are already messed up when ambushed.

Regarding mods, 'adaptive cassie' increased the threat from ambushes. But i really think vanilla went too far in the process of easing ambushes.

Ukas

+1. Exactlissimo. You hit an enemy outpost with six well equipped colonists, and while returning your caravan gets ambushed by two cats. Or a single pirate with a knife and a wooden foot.

Lexa

Isnt the problem here with how caravans tend to have pretty little wealth and are proportinally well geared? Afaik the game doesnt particulary discriminate between caravan or not for threat point calculation. If you make large caravans with packed full animals you do tend to get more threatening ambushes than your killsquad with just their gear, some food and medicine.

IIRC previously caravans wealth wasnt count alone, so you'd get raids for your colony wealth and trust me you dont want that back.

fritzgryphon

If this is the case, I look forward to actually using caravans now.

The risk/reward for caravan trading and quests was so bad that I categorically avoided them in the past.  $1000 profit or the opportunity to buy some items isn't worth having caravan colonists die to RNG, or leaving the colony shortstaffed.

Unless I had a useless pawn that I wanted to kill; then he would be my caravan trader.

Ukas

Quote from: Lexa on March 13, 2020, 06:32:15 PM

IIRC previously caravans wealth wasnt count alone, so you'd get raids for your colony wealth and trust me you dont want that back.

So having that back is the single only imaginable option to make caravan ambushes more threatening? Come on now.

Breadbox

There really isn't any situation which requires you to form a caravan with loads of wealth.
I wasn't there for the alphas, but if I were to go on cross continental fellowship journey to the AI ship I'd like the most interesting event to be more interesting than manuntimg chinchillas.

fritzgryphon

I'm sure if the raid strength/caravan strength ratio is too weak, it'll be buffed at some point.  The devs have always been good about adjusting to find a good balance.