trait changes in 1.1

Started by Fakeaccount123, March 12, 2020, 03:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fakeaccount123

the update from 1.0 to 1.1 was very big so there are a lot of changes that weren't mentioned in the official announcement. i just could play 1.1 yesterday for the first time and i was surprised by some of those changes. You may already know them but here they are anyway:

1- There is a new "slow learner" trait that makes your pawn learn 75% slower. The funny thing of this trait is (and i don' know if this was intended) that it is compatible with the trait "too smart". So you can have now a too smart but slow learner pawn, which sound kind of weird. ???

2- Kind and ascetic pawns now ignore beauty traits. they won't have better opinions of pretty pawns or bad opinions of ugly pawns. This is a small change, but i found it cool. Now ugly pawns are not hated by everybody.

3-This will require confirmation because i couldn't test it yet, i just look at the xml files, but i think they reworked chemical interest and chemical fascination traits. Now they don't have random drug binges anymore. instead they have a new "drug need" that works like any other need. When the need is not satisfied your pawn will have a mood debuff (-2/-4/-6 for chemical interest and -3/-6/-9 for chemical fascination) and when the need is satisfied, by regularly consuming drugs, your pawns will be happy (+3/+6 for chemical interest and +4/+9 for chemical fascination).
If this turns out to be truth it's a great change. I always try to avoid chemical interest/fascination pawns because my colonies are usually flooded by drugs and their drug binges can be pretty dangerous. But now it seems that it will be easier to keep this guys happy.

fritzgryphon

Sweet, thanks for sharing. Can finally use junkie pawns and they'll stay happy and die of chemical damage like they should.

B@R5uk

I want add my mite on this topic too. "Slow learner" trait is fairly common, and if pawn has it than he/she will have no chance to train skills to be professional. That is somewhat compensated by now much more accessible neurotrainer mech serums you can find in faction bases markets. Well, that is good and all, but this trait has become my most hated trait at once alongside pyro trait.

Also, is it just me or is negative traits has become much more frequent?

zizard

Seems like slow learner is -75% just because fast learner is +75%, which is pretty ridiculous since 25% is 4x smaller than 100% while 175% is not even 2x larger than 100%. At worst it should be -40%. Still a really boring trait without much gameplay interest.

Boboid

I'm fairly sure xp gain = Global Learning Factor * Passion modifier.
Since both Fast and Slow Learner affect the Global Learning factor it should be -

Normal pawn with no passion: 1*0.35 or 35%
Fast Learner with no passion:  (1x1.75)*0.35 or 61.25%
Slow Learner with no passion (1*0.25)*0.35 or 8.75%

With passions it's
Normal:1*1 = 100%
Fast:(1*1.75)*1 = 175%
Slow:(1*0.25)*1 = 25%

Burning passion
Normal:1*1.5 = 150%
Fast:(1*1.75)*1.5 = 262.5%
Slow:(1*0.25)*1.5 = 37.5%

So slow learners are preeeetty bad.
Even if you give them a learning assistant(+20% global learning factor) a burning passion is still only 67.5% which makes them considerably worse than a standard passion.

On the other hand given the XP-per-day-softcap in any given skill it's possible some slow learners would be fine at long tasks where they might hit that cap, art, research, maybe even cooking if you're doing a lot of it.
They're pretty much doomed to be meh-at-best at things like Combat, Social, and Medicine though which isn't great. It's always going to be difficult to get above and stay above 10 due to daily xp loss.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't lose xp at the standard rate - Maybe roll in some of the Great Memory effect so that if you put in the effort ( or luck into ) a high skill Slow Learner they don't hemorrhage all their skill? Dunno.

A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

fritzgryphon

I've accepted a slow learner pawn.  Already had skilled colonists in each field and needed a janitor/hauler. His health and melee skill was ok. 

B@R5uk

Quote from: Boboid on March 13, 2020, 06:45:52 AM...It's always going to be difficult to get above and stay above 10 due to daily xp loss...
That's why pawn like this is only good for tasks which don't require higher levels of skills. Such tasks are mining, sowing, cooking and even medical. Level 10 is enough. This is not that short of a list. Of course bonuses from 20th level will expedite work a lot. That's why I don't like this trait very much.

Also, with how neurotrainers has become easy to get you always can use them to keep the level up. I've not checked it yet but in previous versions experience reward from neurotrainer depended on passion only.

scorlew

Quote from: fritzgryphon on March 13, 2020, 10:23:24 AM
I've accepted a slow learner pawn.  Already had skilled colonists in each field and needed a janitor/hauler. His health and melee skill was ok.

Yes.  After you get six or so colonists it is helpful to have a dedicated haulbot/cleanbot.  Frees your skilled guys from wasting their time on necessary but menial tasks.
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ