Are rice, berries, and kibble not valid taming foods?

Started by Rimwhirled, March 12, 2020, 07:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimwhirled

Why can't I tame this guy?

https://imgur.com/a/i1SwEAn

The alpaca in question is one that returned to the wild from a previous trained state, so I was able to tame him before. I haven't grown anything but rice. It's possible I tamed it previously with something else from a cargo pod, but I can't remember. I could have sworn I've been able to use rice and berries for taming/training in past games -- is that no longer the case?

LWM

Have other colonists reserved that food so your tamer cannot use it?

If not, you might try forbid-unforbid on the food and then try again - sometimes the list of available stuff may need to refresh?

Rimwhirled

I didn't think of that, but none of the stacks appear to be reserved when I try to force merge/consume, and forbidding/unforbidding didn't solve the issue.

Rimwhirled

It seems like it must be some kind of mod issue, but I can't figure it out. First I started a new colony with my normal modlist and saw that I could tame with rice but not berries. Then I started a new game with no mods and was able to tame with both. Then I added all my mods back in, loaded up the game started without mods, and both worked again. Finally, I loaded my regular game with the same modlist and neither work. Ah well, I guess I'll do a no-animals run.

LWM

Any chance you have an animal mod that gives them food restriction policies like human colonists have?

Bozobub

This *may* be intended behavior by a mod but just as often you'll see odd things like this coming from the interaction between mods.  In other words, just going down the list of mods to see what their individual effect(s) is/are supposed to be, doesn't mean you'll find the problem.  Sadly, the only reliable way to diagnose the issue, is to disable all mods, then re-enable them one (or a few) at a time, until the problem reappears :-\.
Thanks, belgord!

DuckBoy

I just saw this in unmodded vanilla when one of my colonists had a taming inspired mood.  Wouldn't let me train a donkey.  Went away after the donkey went to sleep. 

I was pretty low on stored food, but I had a zillion corn lying out in the rain, so I suspect its just a bug that crept in. 

Vintorez

Is your colonist on a food restriction that doesn't allow those taming foods? I think I had an issue like that but thought it was part of Animals Logic mod.

hechicera

I have this too sometimes. Noticed it with a warg (and they have restricted food) but there were piles of raw meat in the stockpile! Stacks and stacks. Also seems to have auto-resolved when warg slept, and I also was using Animal Logic, but had set no food restrictions for people or animals that save.

Also, corn laying outside, not in a stockpile may not count. Similar to when you want to build say a wood bed, and there are 20 freshly cut piles from trees and none in your stockpile it won't let you place and gives message "not enough resource". My case I did have meat in the stockpile, warg was always wild, colonist had no food restrictions.

I think the colonist may have had the inspired taming though.