Killboxes, Sappers and Drop Pods

Started by grossbeer, March 14, 2020, 04:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grossbeer

Hi Guys,
Ive been playing rimworld for a long time now and came back for the royalty DLC. I always play the game with the goal to build a very rich and Big colony, so the spaceship endgame doesent really interest me.

As we all know as wealth and Pawn count increase raids get really big. after some time, you can beat normal raids without a killbox. You just cant. I Now have a very rich Colony with 9 Pawns. 2 Brawlers and 7 Shooters. The raid size is usually so big i cant imagine fighting them just with some cover. i would get immediatly overrun. The Turrets got nerved but are still useable in 1.1,so i got a working killbox going wiht about 10 Auto turrets and several mini turrets. When sniping the dangerous enemies (R-Launcher, Doomsday) with charge lances or snipers rifles i can beat a Merc Raid with tthat killbox with minor Turret losses and no pawn losses. I use a killbox without traps and such, so its just an entrance to my base which is covered by Turrets.

Now when a drop pod raid is rained upon me the property losses are usually pretty steep altho i can manage them cuz they are significally smaller and considering the size of my base enemies are very scattered. But still the base is in heavy ruins after that, so rebuilding it takes some time.

Then Sappers: In my games caravans very rarely come to visit so im not stocked up on Psy Lances etc. so taking out the sappers to turn the raid into a normal one is usually not an option. My Perimiter wall is pretty far out so sniping them in time is also not an option, meaning i have to fight a 40 man raid with 9 pawns, which is pretty much impossible. Mortars are also off the table when they raid immediatly, so im looking for tips how to handle those raids with so little firepower. I do have some Turrets scattered around my base to at least slow the sappers down, but as you can imagine those dont hold em off too long.

I cant remeber defending those raids was this difficult, so im guessing the AI changed a bit, or the raids got bigger.

As a side note: i dont really want to do heavy wealth control this late in the game (ive researched all but the tech Print Projects) so how do you guys handle big bases with high wealth? I cant imagin defending a 40 man raid with 9 pawns without a Turret assisted fight. I feel that sapper Raids are way too big and dangerouse (especially when they attack from 2 sides).

greez

[EDIT] PS: Im playing Savage Randy, so maybe i have to tone down the difficulty?
[EDIT2] Playing on a Temperate Forest biome with small hills, no river no road. I have to protect all sides.

Canute

QuoteI cant remeber defending those raids was this difficult, so im guessing the AI changed a bit, or the raids got bigger.
Sure the AI got a bit clever, but not that much IMO.
If you want smaller raids, lower the difficult of the storyteller, the difficult mosttimes adjust the strenght of the raid not that a raid comes.

Or try out some mods like adding embrasure, high cover but impassable prevent your shooter from mellee raiders.
Shield systems to stop incoming bullets and droppods.
Magic and other race abilities for your pawns, but beware the raiders use them too.

zizard

Sappers avoid turrets so you can place them around your perimeter except for one entrance which is a pawn only kill box.