Mods that you’d like to see becoming part of the basegame.

Started by Breadbox, March 14, 2020, 06:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadbox

Ever since the 1.1 update I've realised that many mods are in a precarious state of existence. This has me worried as truth be told if certain mods stopped working, I would find it very hard to enjoy playing rimworld. They overhauled aspect of the base game that is painfully lacking. They are the reason I stuck around for hundreds of hours, because sometimes the basegame feels like a pie with meager fillings.

There are many mods which I think are purely postives if they become part of the basegame. I wouldn't be putting in any content only mod or controversial overhauls here.

1) Facial Stuff
The game's called a story generator, but how can a story be compelling if every single one of the characters look identical and does not react to their surrounding. Their primary distinguishing feature, their hair, gets covered up the moment they wear a headgear.

Before you tell me that you don't like hands feets or weird eyes, every feature can be turned off individually. Personally I've only played with additions like head rotators(they turn their heads to look at eachother when talking), head bobbing, some facial expression and removing head gear when in doors. If all features are enabled, pawns would laugh and gloat when they down an enemy, flail their arm in terror as they flee, scream and squint their eyes when hurt.

The difference even minor changes make are huge, they look different and feel much more like real people who REACT to their surrounding rather than identical looking polyhedron statue gilding through thin air.

2) Dubs mint menu
I remember my first time playing the game and trying to figure out what cloth to make during winter and heatwave. It's impossible to figure out what clothing does what and clicking on detail of the bill tells you the incredibly useless information of 'Make 1 unit of this clothing'.

I mean come on, some image, description or search function would make it much friendlier for new players(who probably don't use mod) and much less tedious for older players.

So what are mods you can't live without and fit well into the basegame?

Lexa

*inhales* Ahem.

Interaction Bubbles: Visualizes what people are talking about.

Cleaning Area: Lets you desingate areas to be cleaned, rather than whole home zone

Setup Camp: Cause having to make a whole ass colony to tend to someone or manage your caravan is dumb.

Smart Medicine: Save good medicine for dangerous injuries and use the medicine in my inventory? Why i never...

Dress Patients: So your're not forced to spam heaters to save your naked and incapicated pawns from dying of hypothermia. Also prisoner uniforms.

Filth washes away with rain and time: Huge performance gains from removing all that filth around the map nobody cares about eventually, in a super vanilla friendly way.

Animal Logic: Animals can be desingated beds, generally are less dumb and other niceties like fixing the useless meat bloat, converting eggs and making hostile predators actually, yknow, considered hostile so your pawns will shoot at them instead of politely letting the predator eat them.

Rim fridge: Lets be real, who walks into a giant walk in freezer to get their meal? Meals belong in the dining room/kitchen but you dont want them to spoil.

Better Workbench Management: Lets you actually specify details about bills, drastically decreasing the micromanagement involved. Why would your pawns need to make simple meals when the fine meal supply is stocked? And more such stuff.

Rimhud: More dense and better hud information, saving you quite a few clicks. Im actually not super sure on if it should be absorbed into vanilla but i cant imagine playing without now, tones down on the UI wrangling massively.

Export agency: Lets you save and load bills, restrictions uvm. Every time you start a new game you have to re-set all those all over again and this well... now you can do it easier and without spending 2 hours on it. A few clicks and you're good to go.

Real ruins: I know, i know, we already merged some parts of this into vanilla... and yet still, the new vanilla ruins are dull and dont really look like something people would build to live/use. Why exactly do they all look like mandela fractals?

Work Tab: Massive efficency boost in larger colonies, by letting you define shifts, times for specific works (sow plants at night anyone?) and split down work types down to their workgivers, so you can have a shitty doctor who doesnt attempt to do surgeries but will gladly tend to peoples every day hurts.

Carry Capacity Fixed: Unifies caravan and map hauling capacities, the stats for either now are the same, additionally it lets bionics affect how capable your pawns are at hauling.

Pick up and haul: Neccessary to actually make use of the previous mod. Makes haulers pick up items into their inventory, letting them carry odd amounts and multiple different things.

Breadbox

Real ruins actually does alot more than just generate ruins on map, it generates ruin/bases markers on the world map that you can visit or attack. You'll have to go to the planetary ruin mod menu and click 'load map pr something'.

I cannot fathom how dress patient isn't in the vanilla game, when a person collapse from hyperthermia there is not a damn thing you do about it without a heated room.

codyo

A Dog Said for animal prosthetics.
Mad Skills to balance the skill decay rate. It's so hard to get anything above 18 and stay above it in Vanilla.
Door Mats. Or anything that makes cleaning not so terrible to deal with.
Smart Medicine and similar mods that let doctors carry medicine and treat the wounded in the field is extremely essential.

Bozobub

Frankly, I'd prefer mods stay mods, for the most pary, with any additional *official* content packaged as optional DLC.

a) The "vanilla" game is actually the most popular form, according to mod downloads vs. sales.

b) EVERY addition to content increases the load on your system, whether gameplay slowdown from additional scripting ("per-tick" calculations") or longer load times from item definition changes/additions.

c) Significant additions to the base game need to be paid for.

As mods or DLC, this lets people who prefer the game pretty much as-is (like me) to keep it that way.  Mods have the advantage of not having to pay staff (or the rent), plus don't have the same quality-control burden of official content,so they can often go farther afield and do unique things that nearly, or even fully break the game.  DLC has the advantage of MUCH better quality, generally, plus constant maintenance by professional coders.  Both approaches have merit.
Thanks, belgord!

Malackai

For me the Allow Tool Mod is the number 1 mod I am unable to play without.

https://rimworldbase.com/allow-tool-mod/

Also, Mend/Recycle.

TrashMan

Vein Miner
More bridges
Snap Out
Metal doesn't burn
Doormat
Sensible surgery (was it called like that? A mod that adds medic bags and allows stabilizing downed pawns on the spot... also fixes surgeries)
Duel Wield and/or Simple Sidearms
Run and gun
Nature is beatifull
Rain washes filth
Sculpting from stone chunks
Bulk recepies
Solar roofs
Embrasures/trenches/more turrets
+
Hospitality
Giddy Up
Boats

TrashMan

Quote from: Lexa on March 14, 2020, 07:49:28 AM
*inhales* Ahem.

Interaction Bubbles: Visualizes what people are talking about.

Cleaning Area: Lets you desingate areas to be cleaned, rather than whole home zone

Setup Camp: Cause having to make a whole ass colony to tend to someone or manage your caravan is dumb.

Smart Medicine: Save good medicine for dangerous injuries and use the medicine in my inventory? Why i never...

Dress Patients: So your're not forced to spam heaters to save your naked and incapicated pawns from dying of hypothermia. Also prisoner uniforms.

Filth washes away with rain and time: Huge performance gains from removing all that filth around the map nobody cares about eventually, in a super vanilla friendly way.

Animal Logic: Animals can be desingated beds, generally are less dumb and other niceties like fixing the useless meat bloat, converting eggs and making hostile predators actually, yknow, considered hostile so your pawns will shoot at them instead of politely letting the predator eat them.

Rim fridge: Lets be real, who walks into a giant walk in freezer to get their meal? Meals belong in the dining room/kitchen but you dont want them to spoil.

Better Workbench Management: Lets you actually specify details about bills, drastically decreasing the micromanagement involved. Why would your pawns need to make simple meals when the fine meal supply is stocked? And more such stuff.

Rimhud: More dense and better hud information, saving you quite a few clicks. Im actually not super sure on if it should be absorbed into vanilla but i cant imagine playing without now, tones down on the UI wrangling massively.

Export agency: Lets you save and load bills, restrictions uvm. Every time you start a new game you have to re-set all those all over again and this well... now you can do it easier and without spending 2 hours on it. A few clicks and you're good to go.

Real ruins: I know, i know, we already merged some parts of this into vanilla... and yet still, the new vanilla ruins are dull and dont really look like something people would build to live/use. Why exactly do they all look like mandela fractals?

Work Tab: Massive efficency boost in larger colonies, by letting you define shifts, times for specific works (sow plants at night anyone?) and split down work types down to their workgivers, so you can have a shitty doctor who doesnt attempt to do surgeries but will gladly tend to peoples every day hurts.

Carry Capacity Fixed: Unifies caravan and map hauling capacities, the stats for either now are the same, additionally it lets bionics affect how capable your pawns are at hauling.

Pick up and haul: Neccessary to actually make use of the previous mod. Makes haulers pick up items into their inventory, letting them carry odd amounts and multiple different things.

Frak I forgot those. Yes.

TrashMan

Quote from: Bozobub on March 16, 2020, 10:47:38 PM
Frankly, I'd prefer mods stay mods, for the most pary, with any additional *official* content packaged as optional DLC.

a) The "vanilla" game is actually the most popular form, according to mod downloads vs. sales.

b) EVERY addition to content increases the load on your system, whether gameplay slowdown from additional scripting ("per-tick" calculations") or longer load times from item definition changes/additions.

As mods or DLC, this lets people who prefer the game pretty much as-is (like me) to keep it that way.  Mods have the advantage of not having to pay staff (or the rent), plus don't have the same quality-control burden of official content,so they can often go farther afield and do unique things that nearly, or even fully break the game.  DLC has the advantage of MUCH better quality, generally, plus constant maintenance by professional coders.  Both approaches have merit.

a) wrong metric

b) depends on optimization. Something that is part of base game would have less of an impact than a mod, due to better implementation

Also, did you say quality control? Much better quality and balance? Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Bozobub

I meant exactly what I said.  Furthermore, your attitude is crap; no one was being shitty to anyone  here, until YOU showed up.

Feel free to expire in a high temperature, reducing environment.
Thanks, belgord!

hechicera

Numbers (!!)
Heat Map (!!)
RimHud (!)
WorkTab
More Planning (!)
Color Coded Mood Bar
Auto-Pause Plus
Interaction Bubbles
Animal Gender on Caravan
Pharmacy/Smart Medicine (anything to give more granularity!)

(above really just expand UI or existing options)

Inventory Tab
(same but performance implications)

The following may be more DLC oriented
Animal Logic
Fishing (Vanilla Fishing Expanded or Rainbeau's)
Children

8roads

ShadowKatt

Simple Sidearms. But not all of it. I believe that mods should stay mods but SS does something that is desperately needed: Pawns remember and recover their weapons. If a pawn is downed and loses their weapon, it's on YOU to remember every person that needs to visit the armory. Why can't they do it themselves? I told you what weapon I want you using, that rifle is yours. There are many like it, but THAT ONE is yours. I shouldn't have to tell you to go get it again.

Breadbox

Quote from: Bozobub on March 16, 2020, 10:47:38 PM

1)No, lots of people either bought the game and have it sit in the backlog forever or play the game for awhile and then stop playing for various reasons(like the unintuitive/uninformative vanilla UI), this sort of pattern is quite common to many steam games, I am one of them until I return one day lush through the learning stage.

2)The game is much more optimised to handle additional content

Most people who play for a significant amount of time will assemble a Personal mod list.