We need to talk about mental breaks

Started by ShadowKatt, March 15, 2020, 04:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B@R5uk

Quote from: LWM on March 16, 2020, 11:27:51 PMCan you share the original saying?  Because I need to add that to my vocabulary.

Yeah here it is:
QuoteГлаза бы мои этого не видели
Most frequently it's used when you've become greatly disappointed in someone and give up on explaining or rectifying him/her. In this case you tell:
QuoteГлаза бы мои тебя не видели

TrashMan

Quote from: ShadowKatt on March 15, 2020, 08:14:35 PM
I have snap out. I didn't originally, but after having some pawns that went upwards of five days of just wandering I said enough. Now I have a new colony, things aren't great(I had fiancees who broke up) and so moods are in the pits. In any other circumstances this might not be a big deal but with three people and two of them in near constant breaks, and no one with good social for Snap Out to work with, I am losing whole months because there is simply nothing I can do. No food because they're wandering instead of growing. No power because we can't get research for batteries. Until we lose some of these negative moodlets we can't get anything done, and my options are none. Sit and deal with it. Let the game just run because I can't do anything. Turn the speed up, walk away, make a sandwich, come back and watch while my broken pawns autopilot.

I can appreciate the mood system but this is like the tornados. Nothing I can do about it, no way to mitigate it. This is flash storms if the rain wasn't delayed, just turned off entirely. It sounds a little petty and i know there are people out there better than me who can keep their pawns happy in a dank and dingy barracks, but for the not absolute hardcore this just doesn't work.

But think of the story, the drama!

B@R5uk

What story? What drama? I play Rimworld 'couse I can make pawns do things not the other way around. That's why I don't pay Royalty. I like optimizing and then optimizing again. Loosing control is the worst thing to happen for me. So, what? Sad wandering? Fck no! Save/load + drink psychite tea.

What I would tolerate if it was implemeted is mood debuffs to work speed and moving during hauling. That would be even logical: due to dark thoughts pawns loose efficiency. But not some wandering that lasts for no one knows how long. There is only so much days in a year.

Also, there is this stupid thing that prohibits pawns to recreate while wounded. Who devised that? There is even scientific researches that indicates that playing games is a good way to distract oneself from pain. Once there was that thing when pawns go and talk to others who is in low mood. And now what? They not even go to hospital to cheer patients up like it was in v1.0.

ShadowKatt

And since we're on the subject of mental breaks, are tantrums random or does the game automaticly identify what is the absolute most valuable thing on the map and say "That. Take THAT away from the player. That'll teach them for being a shitty player."

Because it's always the fabrication bench. Or the research bench. Or a full stack of 50 components. Or a stack of advanced components of any size. Look, I'm SORRY you're in a bad mood, but I can't help that you saw a fuck ton of corpses after we got RAIDED and you're SICK with gut worms! I can't control that! Get over your shit already you whiny, emotionally stunted and incontinent overgrown child.

gCvdA

Quote from: fritzgryphon on March 16, 2020, 06:19:45 PM
Quote from: gCvdA on March 16, 2020, 12:00:16 PM
There is also the idiotic situation where pawns are in combat and should be scared shitless, but decide to go on a food binge because the environment is unsightly and they just saw two unrelated corpses, wandering into the line of fire and kill themselves.

Ostensibly the game is not primarily a combat game, and combat suppression is ignored.  But that is little comfort when, even though combat makes up a few percent of total game time, it accounts for 99% of the colony losses.

On the side note, i wonder why isn't combat and caravan done better despite both being significant part of the game. Caravan is a giant pain in the ass to set up because Tynan "didn't think you would do it that often".
And there's no reason for combat to not be looked at more often when the preparation for combat (and sometimes combat itself) dominates gameplay. At this point im not even sure if they play test their own game, like, they just nerfed uranium slug turrets out of nowhere by 730%, introduced a bullet shield that never breaks, linked weapons that can't be used on most pawns and cost 5000 silver a piece, fucking magic, quests that drop mech clusters that are scaled with your wealth every day, with reward that only scale with amount of guest and length of the quest but not with the difficulty of the raids, increased raid strength disparity even further because you can't kite centipedes as well anymore. List goes on

LWM

I read your list of questionable additions, and my response is thus:  have you LOOKED at people's mod lists?

Breadbox

Quotedidn't think you would do it that often".
Did he really say that tho, I can scarcely believe someone would make a massive world generator which simulates the the full rotation of the planet with all the exotic natural landscape and saw little gameplay possibility beyond picking a landing spot.

I love caravanning(had to use mods to add interesting quests tho) and would love it alot more if Caravan formation doesn't make me want to go berserk.

8roads

Quote from: Breadbox on March 18, 2020, 07:54:00 AM
Quotedidn't think you would do it that often".
Did he really say that tho, I can scarcely believe someone would make a massive world generator which simulates the the full rotation of the planet with all the exotic natural landscape and saw little gameplay possibility beyond picking a landing spot.

I love caravanning(had to use mods to add interesting quests tho) and would love it alot more if Caravan formation doesn't make me want to go berserk.

come on, there must be a mod out there?

B@R5uk

Well, as it is now caravan formation's much better than it used to be. You can add and remove pawns and/or animals and/or prisoners and/or items on the fly. That gives a lot of flexibility. But, without save/load I still do not risk starting caravan in case I'd forget something.

It would be great if there was entire interface tab designated for caravan formation where you can slowly select all things you need for the journey while freely looking through all your assets on the map. Maybe even some presets and/or marked common entries for items that are essential for caravans. And of course there must be buttons "Start formation", "Pause formation", "Cancel formation" and "Launch caravan" so I can form caravan during day time and dispatch it the next morning or any other appropriate time.

And no, I never use mods. Game should be played as it was designed or there would be no end on that path to the perfection.

8roads

Quote from: B@R5uk on March 18, 2020, 08:26:34 AM

And no, I never use mods. Game should be played as it was designed or there would be no end on that path to the perfection.

I too was a proud purist. until the hellish micromanagement forced me to compromise.

LWM

There IS a mod that makes caravan formation MUCH better.

MMmmm....TD Enhancement Pack - everything you selected is selected in caravan formation, and (this is the one that makes it so fantastic) if you close the caravan window and reopen it - it still has everything you did!

(You can turn off everything you don't want, too.)

As far as not playing with mods....the developer has been very explicit about working to make the game moddable and helping the community in that regard.  Especially given how the game is a way to tell stories, the idea that you can pick what sort of story you want seems 100% in the spirit of the game!

I have gone down the mod rabbit hole, and it's very comfy here  ;D  I also restarted since 1.1 and am happily playing with a small handful of mods - they do make a very positive experience, but at the same time, I'm playing nearly vanilla.

But if you insist on vanilla game...well, I suppose this is as good a place to rant as any!

8roads

Quote from: LWM on March 18, 2020, 10:41:04 AM
There IS a mod that makes caravan formation MUCH better.

MMmmm....TD Enhancement Pack - everything you selected is selected in caravan formation, and (this is the one that makes it so fantastic) if you close the caravan window and reopen it - it still has everything you did!

(You can turn off everything you don't want, too.)

Thanks!

Gadfly

Really?

I have seen a video of Tynan so proud of his I take control away from the player.
Made local copy of all mods for 1.0, never going to update now, good luck to all with this shit.

Well I once made the decision to not buy any DLC from any company.

LWM

Quote from: Gadfly on March 18, 2020, 02:25:58 PM
Really?

I have seen a video of Tynan so proud of his I take control away from the player.

Really?

I haven't followed much of what he says in public tbh.  Mostly I've seen how he's helped with the modding stuff here.

fritzgryphon

The game is good at presenting diverse and adaptive challenges to prevent the player from achieving a perfectly safe state.  If the player becomes 100% secure, the game is effectively over.  Continuing to play toward a formal win condition becomes a pointless grind.

If you like turtling and expanding, the win condition becomes endurance.

It's important to balance threats, but they must always be threatening to justify even being there.  The game is brutal on merciless with the adaptation and RNG (as 'merciless' implies), but there is a usually a way to beat any challenge if you prepare properly and micro hard enough.  For times when RNG really crushes you and you physically can't win a battle, there are still ways to continue without a total game loss (falling back and defending through your own rooms, caravaning off the tile to escape, etc).

For people who like straight-up no-risk base building, there's peaceful mode.

I think Tynan has succeeded super hard at taking control away from the player.  It's why Rimworld is still playable after so many years, when other games have been used up, got boring, and discarded.