We need to talk about mental breaks

Started by ShadowKatt, March 15, 2020, 04:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowKatt

Quote from: Ukas on March 22, 2020, 02:24:13 PM
Anyways, if your pawn does sad wandering for 5-days, you might want to check your mods. I haven't seen a 5-day mental break of any kind. Not even 3-day. Pretty sure not even 2. One pawn did wonder slightly more than one day.

You have a fair point there and I do have a lot of QoL mods, but no flags for any conflicts when I start up. I certainly don't know anything about modding to tear into them and try to diagnose it myself.

Ukas

Quote from: ShadowKatt on March 22, 2020, 04:00:30 PM

You have a fair point there and I do have a lot of QoL mods, but no flags for any conflicts when I start up. I certainly don't know anything about modding to tear into them and try to diagnose it myself.

Yeah same with me. You can try 50-50 it, uncheck half of the mods you are not sure about, and recreate the situation, in this case provoke your pawns to have mental breaks. If they still go mental for several days, then it's one of the mods you're currently using, if not then in the other group. Then it's just repeat, and add or take away 50% from the rest of the list, which is getting smaller all the time, until there's only one left. And that's mod should be the troublemaker. 

It's a bit of work though.

Bozobub

I'm afraid that's unlikely to help.  I run SEVEN mods, total, at the moment:

• Harmony
    • RT Fuse
    • Replace Stuff
    • Hugslib
    • EdB Prepare Carefully
    • Smart Speed
    • Fluffy's Mod Manager
    With Colony Manager and Hospitality currently disabled, but present.

I see the same thing happen, from time to time, even with pure "vanilla" games, so I'm pretty sure you're barking up the wrong tree.
Thanks, belgord!

5thHorseman

Quote from: LWM on March 21, 2020, 10:53:34 PM
Quote from: 5thHorseman on March 21, 2020, 07:56:02 PM
Quote from: Ukas on March 21, 2020, 03:47:42 PM
Have you seen the movie Falling Down?

I have not. Was it super boring because he went on a 5-day wandering spree due to his own choice to not eat at the table someone painstakingly set up near his walk-in freezer?

Where's the rolling around laughing face, anyway?  That was very well said.

Would have been if we weren't talking about murderous rampages.
Fair. That statement was for impact. I was proud of it :)

Anyways, if your pawn does sad wandering for 5-days, you might want to check your mods. I haven't seen a 5-day mental break of any kind. Not even 3-day. Pretty sure not even 2. One pawn did wonder slightly more than one day.
5 was an exaggeration but out of the 3 Naked Brutality runs I did on Randy Rough, one was lost to a 3-day Sad Wander that ate up a lot of critical prep time (and believe me I noticed it was 3 days), and another a 2-day Sad Wander that could have gone longer if a raider hadn't shown up.

I would try playing without the bevy of QOL mods I use but frankly, the game is not fun without them. I just will not play it without them. And more frankly, 1.1 has been a huge disappointment to me and I won't play it at all, mods or not. I mean, I've known for years that they're ignoring QOL improvements in order to enact more and more ways to kill your colonists unfairly, but I was kind of hoping 1.1 would be different.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Ukas

Quote from: Bozobub on March 23, 2020, 02:52:45 PM
    I'm afraid that's unlikely to help.  I run SIX mods, total, at the moment:

• Harmony
    • RT Fuse
    • Replace Stuff
    • Hugslib
    • EdB Prepare Carefully
    • Smart Speed
    • Fluffy's Mod Manager
    With Colony Manager and Hospitality currently disabled, but present.

I see the same thing happen, from time to time, even with pure "vanilla" games, so I'm pretty sure you're barking up the wrong tree.

Idk man, since 1.1 and Royalty were released I've started several games, adding few mods every time, all single survivor starts, and single survivor really set ups the game for sad wander events. I love the risk of having the event, because, depending of the weather it could lead to early loss, which makes the single survivor start really interesting. But I have seen only a few lasting from something like half a day up to a full day. Now, I get it, it would likely be annoying if the event would last for days. Maybe there's a huge variety in how long the event can last, at this point I'm just wondering how common it really is.

Ukas

Quote from: 5thHorseman on March 23, 2020, 10:17:45 PM

Fair. That statement was for impact. I was proud of it :)

Heheh you should be, that was like a well manufactured high velocity golden bullet, missed the lethal parts maybe but certainly made me duck for a moment. )))

Quote from: 5thHorseman on March 23, 2020, 10:17:45 PM
5 was an exaggeration but out of the 3 Naked Brutality runs I did on Randy Rough, one was lost to a 3-day Sad Wander that ate up a lot of critical prep time (and believe me I noticed it was 3 days), and another a 2-day Sad Wander that could have gone longer if a raider hadn't shown up.

I would try playing without the bevy of QOL mods I use but frankly, the game is not fun without them. I just will not play it without them. And more frankly, 1.1 has been a huge disappointment to me and I won't play it at all, mods or not. I mean, I've known for years that they're ignoring QOL improvements in order to enact more and more ways to kill your colonists unfairly, but I was kind of hoping 1.1 would be different.

Yeah I can relate, couldn't play without my favorite graphics mods. Also play Randy on Rough, but haven't seen mental events taking several days. Maybe I'm just lucky, or then maybe you're unlucky, who knows :)

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Lexa on March 16, 2020, 01:09:54 AM
sad wander in prison
This seems like a reasonable way to handle it - at least the pawn won't freeze or die in prison. /shrug

Lexa

Quote from: AileTheAlien on March 24, 2020, 09:50:55 PM
Quote from: Lexa on March 16, 2020, 01:09:54 AM
sad wander in prison
This seems like a reasonable way to handle it - at least the pawn won't freeze or die in prison. /shrug

They'll die. The only time i ever arrest sad wandering people is if they have a disease or infection. They have to be in bed and let my docs tend to them or they die. So i have no choice but beat them to near death to not have them die...

Ukas

Quote from: Lexa on March 25, 2020, 07:51:41 PM
They'll die. The only time i ever arrest sad wandering people is if they have a disease or infection. They have to be in bed and let my docs tend to them or they die. So i have no choice but beat them to near death to not have them die...

That's art imitating life, up to early 20th century mental patients were often beaten, the treatment was supposed to scare them back to sanity... :o

Kind of related, in my current game I have a pawn who tried to propose multiple times, got repeatedly rejected until broke up with his girlfriend, getting I think -15 mood debuff every time. At worst he had cumulative -64 debuff, now it's "just" -49. Each of these last 20 days, feels like this system is not working properly. Not sure if it's mod related, have you guys experienced this?

LWM

Quote from: Ukas on March 26, 2020, 09:12:48 AM
Kind of related, in my current game I have a pawn who tried to propose multiple times, got repeatedly rejected until broke up with his girlfriend, getting I think -15 mood debuff every time. At worst he had cumulative -64 debuff, now it's "just" -49. Each of these last 20 days, feels like this system is not working properly. Not sure if it's mod related, have you guys experienced this?

Sounds all too much like a guy who is going to buy a gun and kill his ex-girlfriend.

Jibbles

Quote from: Lexa on March 21, 2020, 03:57:43 PM
Lets not fuss about the details, the problem at hand here is that we have no option besides beating a pawn to near death to calm them down anymore.

Ah as usual, "just get the DLC.  ;)"   Goes down as predicted...

Quote from: Jibbles on March 21, 2020, 03:41:45 PM
People have requested the total opposite of that change. So at this point if it is true then I wouldn't be surprise if he gives some kind cheesy ability in royalty like psyche powers to disrupt mental breaks

... Fast forward a few months later and we get an update like this quoted straight from the blog for royalty DLC.
"– Psycast – Word of Serenity: Use calming words and psychic suggestion to end a mental break on a person or animal. The target will fall into a short psychic sleep. "

Stay tuned for the next vanilla update that will just mainly tweak the same old shit to make things more annoying. So new players can have discussions on how to deal with these annoying issues only to find that several players giving advice are including features from DLC to deal with those problems.  Anyways, have fun boys & girls.

RicRider

Frankly I don't think some of the players commenting on this thread that haven't noticed these annoyances have played enough games on Naked Brutality to really notice some of the repetitive nonsense mentioned in this thread. I've played hundreds of these games: I don't have that much time to develop a full base and don't have the attention span to keep reloading the same save for weeks so what I do is start a Naked Brutality run on the hardest difficulty setting (woohoo new 500% threat scaling) and just see how long I can last with random scrubs the game gives me.

It's a bit like Rogue or Nethack games if you play it this way.

Anyway, here's a list of annoying things that you notice after you play a LOT of games that are repetitive, in addition to the sad wander events:
- high chance of raining for several days when you start
- high chance of heatwaves when you start on 'hot' maps
- high chance of cold snaps when you start on 'cold' maps, usually right after you've finished planting all your crops
- high chance of sapper raid immediately attacking you after you've just completed your trapped entrance to the base and walls
- high chance of non-sapper raid immediately attacking you when you've prioritised anti sapper techniques and walls before the trapped entrance
- high chance of fully-grenade armed raid attacking you immediately after you've managed to pull off getting up walls, anti sapper defenses and trapped entrance without Randy mysteriously killing you
- high chance of animals getting plague as soon as you tame them
- high chance of getting diseases when all your pawns are furiously trying to build something because of a raid quest you've accepted that's arriving in a few days

There's a lot more, but you're not going to notice these things if you like to play long games instead of playing lots of short ones instead.

Thankfully mods and dev mode pretty much solves all of these idiocies but you still have to get over the sinking feeling that you're "cheating".
##Coding Scrub##