Mechinoid Cluster Sheilds

Started by den9789, March 17, 2020, 05:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

den9789

So little did I notice but apparently the Mortar and Bullet shield have no sort of durability whatsoever. I've been using the mod "MinifyEverything" and that allows you to essentially pick up the Motar and Bullet shield and place it at my own base and pretty much break the game as you can shoot from inside and the enemies on the outside cant destroy the shield. Now that I think about it, adding these two items into the game as items that you may be able to steal from the Mechinoid Clusters or possible even be able to research and craft in the late game would possible make it pretty well balanced if you added a durability and quality to the item. That would sort of fix the whole issues of Motars being able to completely destroy your base in the late game as well as it would allow you to be able to add Bullet shields to your killboxs allowing you to survive against a lot of enemies for longer. Furthermore more thinking about balancing the game, it would probably make it better if the Mechinoid Clusters shields that have no durability and when you deconstruct the shields from a mechinoid cluster you would get a crafting component that would allow you to in turn make a shield that does have a durability and quality as realistically humans would not be able to craft prefect mechinoid tech.

LIST OF FEATURES FOR SHIELD
- Have a charge up timer for the shield (so that you wouldn't be able to turn them on carelessly)
- Have them require and consume an above avarge amount of power (It only makes sense that a large bubble shield would require a lot of upkeep)
-Maybe add a bio dome shield that would be temperature controlled and also protect from stuff like Fallouts, Cold Snaps and Heatwaves (Obviously more of a late game thing for situations where you want to colonize desert or the polar icecaps)

So yeah that's just some ideas that I got from seeing these 2 new items ingame. So what's everyone think? Got criticism or possible more features that would work well with this idea? Let me know so I can add or possible adjust how my features work.

iceball3

See, what I don't get is that we already know that shields aren't really supposed to only work one way; shield belts won't let gunfire leave them. Why aren't the mortar and bullet shields like this too?
That's the inconsistency that really bothered me. That you can't make use of the tech really is a bother as well, even though mechanoids just land it in your backyard like it's nothing.

Alenerel

I think currently raids are a bit unbalanced, but I cant agree to this post. You add bullet shields and mortar shields, and the game becomes trivial. Have 7 sieges at once? Dont even care. Raids become reduced to melee pawns since ranged pawns would have to get very close.

You say the durability thing, but what keeps you from spamming them? 1 shield goes down? I have 20 more of them

Ulef

You could have intersecting shields interfere with each other. Overlapping shields of the same type would damage the durability of each other until one of the shields drops. If you have a long start-up/recharge time (perhaps 2 or 3 minutes), it should effectively limit you to one bullet shield and one mortar shield covering any given area of your base.