{Idea/Request} Lighting+

Started by Xyereth, July 31, 2014, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyereth

I have absolutly no modding talent, otherwhise I would give this a try. My idea is a mod, that adds many different new lights into the game, such as:
Floodlights(Not affected by rain, large outward light focused in one direction)
A wearable headlamp, for miners(Not sure if this is possible due to code limitations)
Floor light(A tile that lights up an area)
Wall lights are already part of BetterPower+

Also an idea I had, is that being in darkness would affect a colonists accuracy with weapons, making floodlights on your battlefield a necessity, strategically placing lights to lower raider accuracy and raise colonist accuracy.

If anyone would like to give this a shot, I would be very greatful. It's a small mod, but it could add another level of strategy to the game, as well as new lights to play with

RawCode

just try to implement your mod, if failed - ask for help.

you obviosly not ever tryed

mipen

Darkness does actually already influence accuracy in the vanilla game, but some good ideas! =]

ZestyLemons

I don't think directional lights are possible in Rimworld yet, which kinda sucks.

At least, I can't find anything in the files/documentation for it. After reading this blog post ( http://ludeon.com/blog/2013/08/sun-shadows/ ), it actually just might be a limitation of the 'lighting' system in Rimworld, though I have no idea if that's changed. You'd probably have to ask for him to add in support for directional lights first.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Bog

There's a workaround to get directional lights, which is you put a wall on the sides you want to block. I little U-shaped wall with a light inside will shine mostly in 1 direction.

Combine that with a custom light which shines much further and you'll have impromptu, though admittedly large and ugly, spotlights.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

bobucles

QuoteAlso an idea I had, is that being in darkness would affect a colonists accuracy with weapons, making floodlights on your battlefield a necessity, strategically placing lights to lower raider accuracy and raise colonist accuracy.
The devs stated that rimworld combat includes a whole tactics engine, so there are a huge number of secret factors that alter accuracy. You can see this very clearly during a storm using a sniper turret from the turrets mod. They struggle to hit anything in the rain, when their accuracy is usually pretty good.

So if you want to place flood lights around your kill zones, go ahead! Chances are a well lit enemy is going to be easier to light up.

Rahjital

Darkness already does affect accuracy, it decreases it by 40% if I remember right. It's not even a hidden factor, just select a drafted colonist and hover your mouse over a potential target, you'll see all the factors affecting accuracy. :)

Bog

Quote from: Rahjital on August 03, 2014, 03:20:28 PM
It's not even a hidden factor, just select a drafted colonist and hover your mouse over a potential target, you'll see all the factors affecting accuracy. :)
Wow, I did not know that.

Thank you very much for pointing that out.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

mrofa

Jut keep your colonists in dark place and raiders light up :D
All i do is clutter all around.