Excessive frame drops with mechanoid clusters

Started by PicaMula, March 17, 2020, 05:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PicaMula

Every time that I get a mechanoid cluster drop my game becomes borderline unplayable. On 3x speed it seems slower than 1x when there is no cluster on the map. I assume it's the little blurry effects and I found no way of disabling it :(
I have a decent PC, this shouldn't be happening in a game like this. I assume something is very unoptimized there. My specs:

3.4GHz i7 processor, 16 GB ram, GTX 650 graphics card.

I know, my graphics card is really old but come on, this PC runs GTA V with no frame drops, how can't it run Rimworld!?

Edit: So I just went ahead and destroyed the thing that gives psychic drone of the cluster, and the little blurry effects went away, so did the lag -.- I seems like when there is no such building that produces the effect, there is no lag so it could only be that.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Could you possibly post a savegame which is in a state that is running slow for you?

Also are you using any mods?

Nowhere

In addition to what Ty said, could you please check if there's a reliable framerate improvement between this effect being visible on screen and not?
I'm pretty sure GTX 650 has plenty of sampling/fillrate capability to deal with this effect (or few dozen instances of it). But it might be Unity's GrabPass weirdness...

Was it just psychic droner or any other condition causer did that as well?

PicaMula

Alright I'll provide a save probably in a day, I'm traveling today to stay with my folks on this corona time (: (It's just starting in my country so we're fine for now).
I am using mods Tynan, I guess I should test it without them first :x my bad... Will do that too.
The frame drop happens with other structures as well, it seems to happen every time there is such structure that causes this effect.

Nowhere

It's quite important to know if problem happens only when structure is on screen or even if it's not visible right now.

PicaMula

It happened even if it was not visible on screen, and as soon as I destroyed the structure it went back to full speed.
I tried very quick on a clear save (Royalty and no mods), but I didn't get to spawn the structure that gives off the blurry effect, and I can't try anymore I'm just leaving home rn. Sorry about that.

I migh be able to do it in about 35h :P

Nowhere

A log may also help, to rule out something spamming errors :)

PicaMula

Alright I gave it a try again, it seems like I cannot get the blurry effect I was talking about before anymore. Very odd.
This blurry effect has a drunken feeling, like seeing objects twice overlaying itself a bit offset from each other.
Can you confirm this is a vanilla effect or was some mod that got updated and removed it? (weirdly enough I don't have any that's supposed to do that)

Tynan

It's a visual distortion, it only comes from psychic effects. The psychic droner building will do it; other mech cluster buildings will not. So you need to get a mech cluster with that specific building.

PicaMula

I'm pretty sure I got a psychic drone building in a drop and couldn't see the effect anymore (I will try again)... Is the effect supposed to always play or just after a certain amount of time? I remember there was a text on the psychic drone saying "activates in ** days", but the psychic effect was already felt on the colonists.

Nowhere

We added initiation to mech cluster threats recently, so it might need a few days (or couple weeks) to come into effect. If you want to test quickly, you can skip days through dev panel.

Tynan

Dead bug, let's lock it and see if anyone else reports. Thanks all.