A proposal for better storage

Started by Prologue, March 21, 2020, 12:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prologue

One thing that always slightly bothered me is the limited options you have for storing items. The only real other option given to you by the game besides dumping all your items on the floor is using a shelf, which is has as only benefit that items won't decay when stored outside.

The least I'd like to see added as an option is the option to store clothing in the dresser. But I'm hoping some more storage furniture can be added as well, like chests, weapon racks, barrels, closets and perhaps even a safe. Also I would like to store more than just one item per tile as with the shelves so that they are worth using since there will be a material cost for making these storage items.

I think it is a good idea to have different storage items for different item types such as a dresser for clothing, a safe for gold and silver, barrels for raw materials etc.

Being able to store clothing and equipment in this way could also allow you to have personal equipment stored for each pawn and might allow them to switch between their own clothing at will.

EDIT: I am aware that there are mods that kinda do this, but I'd stilll think this sould be a core element in the game.

ProfZelonka

I second this idea. It feels wrong starting out and hauling items to the floor yet that never changing through the game and needing to make huge warehouses for all the things. It also doesn't make sense to sort thru area permissions to dedicate clothing areas, metals areas, etc. Just make separate closets/racks for the few categories. Clothing is the worst category of all as a single what remains of a 3% tshirt does not equal a ton of silver for the same square space.

LWM

Deep Storage.
Extended Storage.

Obviously, I like Deep Storage better, but then I wrote it  ;D

I certainly welcome new artwork for my mod, by the way - I am a coder, not a drawer.  I'm a lover, not a killer? However that goes.  Either way, I have like 5 in artistic, so new art is slooooow.  So if people want to help contribute, I am open to suggestions/assistance/talking/etc.

As far as the base game goes: Tynan made a very specific decision around b18 to only allow one item per cell in the game. I wouldn't expect that to change at this point - it would take a fair bit of work (ask me how I know  ::) )  Altho they're welcome to merge my changes in!

--LWM

Prologue

Would you not be able to 'simply' create a menu with a list of items per storage unit? It wouldn't be much different than having a pawn with inventory slots right? (I'm not a coder nor a game dev).

LWM

Quote from: Prologue on March 22, 2020, 08:02:07 AM
Would you not be able to 'simply' create a menu with a list of items per storage unit? It wouldn't be much different than having a pawn with inventory slots right? (I'm not a coder nor a game dev).

That's one approach.  But then you have to rebuild/hack the system that lets paws know where stuff is that they can pick up, &c.  And trades.  And ...colony wealth measurements?  And ...?  But Quantum storage does that sort of thing, I think.

I would guess around 15 of my harmony patches revolve around making the base game gracefully accept more than one thing in a cell (or fixing vanilla bugs that don't show up if only one item is allowed in a cell!)  ...it didn't start out at 15; it's grown over time ;)

Prologue

Perhaps it's a bit more complicated than I assumed, still I think it could provide a good framework for other interesting features to be build upon.

LWM

Well, if you are thinking in terms of other mods that could build on the framework....Deep Storage is VERY flexible and plays well with other mods (RimFridge, for example).  It would be really easy to make dressers hold 4-6,8, whatever pieces of clothing, and then if a modder could figure out how to tag clothes to a person and wanted to store them in the room....well, there's that dresser right there.  It's an appealing idea, but not one I will take up anytime soon (got enough on my plate)

If you are hoping the devs will do that?  I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

Prologue

Do you know any mods that allow pawns to have personal storage? I'd be interested, certainly for clothing.

LWM