colonist icons dissapeared

Started by sna, March 22, 2020, 04:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sna

shortly after i had gotten my 10th colonist the games ui started freaking out to where i couldnt even pause. i then forced to close my game and opened it again to my latest save (permadeath save). i then discovered that my colonist bar is disabled and when i try to turn it on it brings me to the logs. i dont really know how to read the logs so i have no clue whats going on. i dont know if its a conflicting issue with my mods or if its a bug in the game itself. i tried reorganizing my mods using this guide https://rwom.fandom.com/wiki/Mod_Order_Guide
here is my logs: https://gist.github.com/fbe3e6bf640cf96c5a6484c4d3c6f080
i also tried to fix it by changing my resolution but i had no luck. any clues or tips to see what is causing this issue

Canute

QuoteCould not find class ColonistBarKF.FollowMe while resolving node li. Trying to use Verse.GameComponent instead. Full node: <li Class="ColonistBarKF.FollowMe" />
Did you remove ColonistBarKF or FollowMe ?
Or does maybe one of your mods need one of these mods ?

At the error which prolly cause the UI problem
Quoteat RimWorld.ColonistBarDrawLocsFinder.CalculateColonistsInGroup () [0x0006e] in <65f126dfb1e4464fa378d4b237f11a99>:0
and ColonistBar i found at the patches
QuoteColonistBarColonistDrawer.DrawIcons: post: RimShips.ShipHarmony.DrawIconsShips
Rimships comes from Boats.
So maybe Boats mod cause it. Try to ask at the mod discussion of Boats about it.

sna

i did remove colonistbarKF and followme (just now reinstalled them) and disabled boats but the issue is still there. another thing i found was that the debug actions menu could not work on any save with the mod set however when i start a new game with no mods, add 20 colonist, and then grab the mods i had on my main save it worked but the debug menu still got fried. so i believe its it doesnt have to do with colonist numbers i think but still not sure.
here are the logs with boats disabled and KF and follow me on https://gist.github.com/64d6d8d1ff497797df7e018450bdc4a1
i can ask in the boats discussion but after disabling boats and the problem still occurring i doubt its that mod

Smash Phil

At the error which prolly cause the UI problem
at RimWorld.ColonistBarDrawLocsFinder.CalculateColonistsInGroup () [0x0006e] in <65f126dfb1e4464fa378d4b237f11a99>:0
and ColonistBar i found at the patches
ColonistBarColonistDrawer.DrawIcons: post: RimShips.ShipHarmony.DrawIconsShips
Rimships comes from Boats.
So maybe Boats mod cause it. Try to ask at the mod discussion of Boats about it.

There are no references within the logs that indicates that boats is causing the exception. Yes, I do patch colonistbar so that pawns onboard boats register in the colonist bar, but the errors are coming from ColonistBarKF.  I went and took a look at their source code, and while yes not knowing the exact line at which it's occurring because we don't have the pbv file or even the ability to attach to the game's process to be able to set break points, I can already see what might be causing the issue.  KF just straight up remade the whole class in RimWorld (ColonistBarDrawLocsFinder), and I'm assuming they're replacing the original one with theirs, with most of the class just copy pasted over. This is generally a bad idea, especially when considering mod compatibility.

You may want to bring this issue up with them, and please refrain from speculation on the mod culprit unless the error itself is popping up with their mod, as it tends to direct people towards those mods and can be a waste of time / resources for the mod author. If you're not sure, you can always direct them to the rimworld discord as we do have a Troubleshooters channel to help with debugging issues.  Thanks!

sna

well, i disabled the KF mod when the issue occured but still no luck. i have no clue what mod is causing it. i can go to discord and ask around

Smash Phil

Quote from: sna on March 23, 2020, 01:55:36 AM
well, i disabled the KF mod when the issue occured but still no luck. i have no clue what mod is causing it. i can go to discord and ask around

it may or may not be an issue that is now tied to that save file. Have you tried starting up a new game with each mod in question? Did this occur after you removed a mod and then saved the game / are on perma death?

sna

i started a new game with the same mods and my colonist bar appeared. after using debug actions menu (after realizing for some reason i needed edb prepare to get it working) i spawned about 30 colonists and it still kept the bar. this issue occurred when sometime after i got my 10th colonist on my main permadeath save. my UI was freaking out to the point where i couldn't pause and i was spamming my keyboard but it didn't do much of anything so i had to alt f4 and reset. afterwards, everything was fine except the colonist bar disappearing.