[1.3] Children and Pregnancy - v4.1.0

Started by GhostData, March 22, 2020, 04:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geese man

Quote from: Taylor7500 on April 20, 2020, 05:14:23 PM
I've been looking for ages for a good mod which adds this for 1.1 and this looks just like it. I have a question though - is there any compatibility or interplay between this mod and The Birds and The Bees by Fluffy?

Just since that mod adds reproductive organs and fertility to colonists (without any pregnancy or kids) I figured there was a potential for conflict or at least the fertility added by Fluffy to be completely ignored.

You can turn off CnP's pregnancy in the mod setting thus there wont be any conflict. Now in my experience the pregnancy chance and duration settings did influence other mod pregnancies so try to keep those type of settings as much duplicated as you can.

Geese man

Could the no children in pirate raids be expanded to no children with royal aid as they usually spawn with weapons to large for them to handle making them a literal meat shield  but with kids HP thus pretty much useless even as shield or make it so children will never spawn with weapons too large for them to handle so that traders wont bring children who are effectively unarmed.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Taylor7500 on April 20, 2020, 05:14:23 PM
I've been looking for ages for a good mod which adds this for 1.1 and this looks just like it. I have a question though - is there any compatibility or interplay between this mod and The Birds and The Bees by Fluffy?

Just since that mod adds reproductive organs and fertility to colonists (without any pregnancy or kids) I figured there was a potential for conflict or at least the fertility added by Fluffy to be completely ignored.

There's currently no cross-mod compatibility, we're still working on fixing bugs. We'll get to adding compatibility soon.

GhostData

Hey all,

Sorry for radio silence. My day job has had possibly 2 of the roughest weeks I have ever faced, working well over 100 hours a week.
I'm starting to look back into this. Expect development to be slow, but I am still on the project.
I have started documenting thoughts and changes as issues on gitlab:
https://gitlab.com/Tragix/children-and-pregnancy-collab/-/issues/1

If you have an account, feel free to weigh in. I don't pretend to have all the answers.

I will start working on documenting outstanding issues, and consider providing a roadmap or something similar through gitlabs.
Race support is at the top of my list for the moment.

I have added contribution guidelines on the repo. For those with development experience, feel free to document and provide contributions. I have attempted to setup the guidelines in such a way as to help me review and merge changes quickly. I am using most of the same expectations that I have when reviewing production code in my day job, so if guidelines are not followed, do not expect a merge.

rainjays

Are the contraceptives meant to not be 100% effective? I had someone who suddenly went from having the contraceptive buff to being middle-stage pregnant.

GhostData

Quote from: rainjays on April 22, 2020, 11:17:58 PM
Are the contraceptives meant to not be 100% effective? I had someone who suddenly went from having the contraceptive buff to being middle-stage pregnant.
IIRC Contraceptives only prevent pregnancy, and do nothing to stop an existing pregnancy from progressing. Early stage pregnancy can go undetected for months before being discovered.

Geese man

IIRC Contraceptives only prevent pregnancy, and do nothing to stop an existing pregnancy from progressing. Early stage pregnancy can go undetected for months before being discovered.
[/quote]

When a pregnant pawn reaches middle stage It should always be revealed right? and at most middle stage is reached after 20 days which would be 1 and 1/3 month so can't be several months undetected right?

GhostData

you're right on both counts. I forgot Rimworld has the weird 4 month year thing going on.

Spent most of the day trying to sort out the render bug when using alien framework. So far I have no idea what is causing it. Best I can tell it's due to overriding some of the graphics in PawnGraphicSet. It doesn't help that Alien Framework is both immensely complicated, and entirely undocumented. I've worked on 30 year old spaghetti code projects that handle documentation better.
The author is in love with nested ternary statements. All in all the code is good, but it was clearly not intended for anyone else to read.

My plan was to handle this in two steps: Fix the render bug when using both mods, then consider proper support for alien babies.
Looking at this now, I'm considering adding a hard dependency on Alien Races and letting it handle all the rendering instead. Body-wise, we need to patch graphics for baby, toddler, and child bodies and heads. I would expect an implementing race would have to provide the graphics for their different age stages. I'll need a plan for what types of graphics to shrink (tails?) and what graphics must be provided (alien baby sprite?)

Geese man

I understand you want to fix the alien framework render bug but wouldn't it be a better idea to first get this mod in a better state as for now its playable but just has some smaller things that can be done better as that would also mean that you dont find "new" issues after resolving something before you worked on updating this mod for its own purposes first?

rainjays

Quote from: Tragix on April 23, 2020, 11:43:43 AM

I've been having them take the contraceptive monthly, but they're still suddenly in mid-stage pregnancy. I've just given up with the contraceptives and just abort them constantly.

netenugu

Quote from: Tragix on April 23, 2020, 08:56:31 PM
I'll need a plan for what types of graphics to shrink (tails?) and what graphics must be provided (alien baby sprite?)
Wouldn't it be best, for compatibility, to have baby sprites optional and default to just shrinking all the graphics?
Probably more work to do initially, but I would assume that only few alien races would actually provide baby sprites, and having all others just be incompatible doesn't sound very desirable.

delalli

Have been playing this for a while, raised 3 children to adulthood in testing. The eldest is now age 24 and has the health modifier of Teenager (still growing) and the hover-text on this suggests they do more activities that get them to grow up? I don't understand if this is tied to skilling but they have skilled up a LOT and are, objectively, adults by now. Anybody else experiencing this? I am not finding any info on this situation anywhere else.

Apologies if this is just a normal part of the mod but I have not seen this before. Any clues would be appreciated.

Otherwise all good so far, thanks for keeping this mod alive! :)

GhostData

Quote from: rainjays on April 24, 2020, 04:52:55 AM
Quote from: Tragix on April 23, 2020, 11:43:43 AM

I've been having them take the contraceptive monthly, but they're still suddenly in mid-stage pregnancy. I've just given up with the contraceptives and just abort them constantly.

Okay, I took a look at this, but was not able to replicate. Your pawn should have a health status "contraceptive" like so:

I know there are a number of other mods that add contraceptives, so be aware that only the contraceptive specifically added by this mod will work.
There is also now verbose logging message that will display if a pregnancy is blocked by contraceptive.
[CNP]Impregnation attempt failed due to use of contraceptives
To see this message, you will need to enable dev mode in the CNP config.

Quote from: netenugu on April 24, 2020, 07:02:21 AM
Wouldn't it be best, for compatibility, to have baby sprites optional and default to just shrinking all the graphics?
Probably more work to do initially, but I would assume that only few alien races would actually provide baby sprites, and having all others just be incompatible doesn't sound very desirable.
Yeah, I'm still in the planning phase for this change. One option would be just as you said, optional custom graphics and shrinking when not provided. This could look weird for toddlers and children though, especially in the case where an alien race doesn't support a small form body type. They would potentially look like 2ft tall adult aliens. If you compare that scenario to human children, they would look very different. I don't know what Thirite's thought process was when he decided to use a custom child head instead of adjusting the size of normal adult heads. I'd like to be consistent with aliens, however.
I am open to adjusting appearances.

Another problem to sort out, is that I really have no idea how Alien Races works. Depending on how it adds "attachments" like tails and horns and the like, it could be very simple to provide consistent support for aliens and have them look like believable children. I'll need to dig up some example races and do some experimentation.

Quote from: delalli on April 24, 2020, 01:45:46 PM
Have been playing this for a while, raised 3 children to adulthood in testing. The eldest is now age 24 and has the health modifier of Teenager (still growing) and the hover-text on this suggests they do more activities that get them to grow up? I don't understand if this is tied to skilling but they have skilled up a LOT and are, objectively, adults by now. Anybody else experiencing this? I am not finding any info on this situation anywhere else.

Apologies if this is just a normal part of the mod but I have not seen this before. Any clues would be appreciated.

Definitely a bug. The description of that hediff is intended to be a hint to the player that what a child experiences as they grow up will determine what type of person they become. For example, if a child manages to kill 50 animals + humans before age 13 (i think) they should acquire the psychopath trait. There is more work to be done on trait acquisition, however.
The hediff should be gone around 13 years old. I'll take a look and see if I can identify an issue with the birthday code.

I've released version 2.0.5 with a patch for the render error that was being thrown when using alien races.
For the time being, this only prevents the two mods from complaining about each other. No race support yet.
I tested alongside the Android Tiers and Ratkin races to confirm the functionality.
https://gitlab.com/Tragix/children-and-pregnancy-collab/-/tags/v2.0.5

GhostData

Quote from: delalli on April 24, 2020, 01:45:46 PM

Thanks for the report.
I have release a correction that should remove the hediff when a pawn ages up from child to teen or teen to adult.
This probably won't fix anything for pawns who are already fully developed. You may safely use removeHediff from the debug menu in such a case.

https://gitlab.com/Tragix/children-and-pregnancy-collab/-/tags/v2.0.6

delalli

Quote from: Tragix on April 25, 2020, 11:29:20 AM
Thanks for the report.
I have release a correction that should remove the hediff when a pawn ages up from child to teen or teen to adult.
This probably won't fix anything for pawns who are already fully developed. You may safely use removeHediff from the debug menu in such a case.

https://gitlab.com/Tragix/children-and-pregnancy-collab/-/tags/v2.0.6

Thanks so much!

I just briefly tested this and further birthdays did not remove it naturally, but it's easy enough to get rid of manually so I just did that. :)

There was a brief moment (like a few days) when the colonists were around age 17 and they were running around trying to "woo" each other, then never again. So I figured something in there was broken lol. Will def report back if I notice anything else weird! Really appreciate the work. :D