Where to post balance issues?

Started by Alenerel, March 23, 2020, 04:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Since the "ideas" section is not watched by any dev anymore... Where to post them?

In this specific case I was thinking about the quests that say "you will get raided every day while X is in your colony". 5 mech clusters (5 days) with 3 guys with barely industrial weapons and low wealth is brutal.

Also got a raid with like 15 or more sappers that was game over. I even called the 4 royal guard guys but it was too much.

Prologue

I assume devs are reading the forum for idea's and balance issues, but if not it is indeed good to know if there is any other way of communicating these things.

Bozobub

Tynan has said he reads both the official and Steam forums every day and furthermore, he quite often posts both places.  What makes you think he isn't reading the "Ideas" subforum?

You're likely not getting a response, because *you are taking OPTIONAL quests that you cannot complete*.  Don't take a quest that you know will murder your colony, that simple.  More quests will be available in the future, when you can do something about them.  The game is, in other words, working exactly as intended and designed.
Thanks, belgord!

Alenerel

This is what makes me think that they dont read the ideas forum:

Quote from: Tynan on December 05, 2019, 09:47:51 AM
For legal reasons, Ludeon developers won't be reviewing this forum or any of the threads in it. I haven't had time to look at the forum for many years anyway, and unfortunately, there is too much risk that someone could try to claim ownership of an idea that we implemented because they happened to have sent/posted something similar here.

Alenerel

Quote from: Bozobub on March 23, 2020, 12:00:57 PM
Tynan has said he reads both the official and Steam forums every day and furthermore, he quite often posts both places.  What makes you think he isn't reading the "Ideas" subforum?

You're likely not getting a response, because *you are taking OPTIONAL quests that you cannot complete*.  Don't take a quest that you know will murder your colony, that simple.  More quests will be available in the future, when you can do something about them.  The game is, in other words, working exactly as intended and designed.

Its not that simple. There arent that many quests and most of the times I reject them cause I simply dont care about the rewards. Why would I be offered a quest that spams raids I cant kill... Id rather have that quest "slot" for an actual useful quest.

Prologue

To be honest, the quest system as it is atm in the base game is not that great, perhaps you should adjust your expectations or find a mod that helps you achieve the gameplay you want.

Alenerel

Well, this time I was feeling confident, had 3 melee guys with shields, 3 ranged and 1 autoshotgun that. Was defending ok against mechs and other raids... I felt confident to take one of these quests of getting raided for 5 days every day and I couldnt not deal with it. Specially the 4th raid, that it was two actual raids. Not two aproaches but two different raids, as in, one raid alert, then seconds later, another raid alert, and both of them were full raids with all the people, they werent half the people cause they were split or something like that. I accepted 4-5 quest like this and I have had this double raid happen in 3 of them. (note, 4 of them resulted in game over, the other was only 2 days instead of 5, so two raids)

Anyway, the main problem is that my people cannot recover in time between raids. In the 4th raid I had them all in beds, not downed but very incapable, and i couldnt deal with anything.

I know i know, if its too difficult dont play merciless... Thing is, I dont have problems with the rest of the game, its just these quests...

Id say that these raids should be at least every 2 days, just to have people to recover, and lower the chance of them being special raids (sappers, drop pods). Cause last quest, 3 of 4 were sappers...

Prologue

I usually play very custom setups so I can't fully relate to your situation, but to me it sounds like you just need to expand your colony and get more pawns to defend it so that you can rotate units that need medical attention.

Bozobub

More than one medically-talented pawn is pretty damn useful, as well.  Your only doctor goes down in RimWorld at the wrong time, and well...  Hasta la vista, colony, without some serious luck (and/or very easy settings).
Thanks, belgord!

Alenerel

Quote from: Bozobub on March 25, 2020, 02:30:17 AM
More than one medically-talented pawn is pretty damn useful, as well.  Your only doctor goes down in RimWorld at the wrong time, and well...  Hasta la vista, colony, without some serious luck (and/or very easy settings).

i know it very well, thats why i always put everyone on medical that has the passion or fast learner trait my colony then was 6 dudes, 4 of them with 7-12 medical. now its 8 with 6 of them capable of medical, even tho I have everyone just so they get trained.

I accepted another of these quests without noticing, it was to held 2 dudes for two days. I got 4 mechanoid clusters in those 2 days...

I usually rely on a basic killbox with few turrets + pawns, not even traps... But Im being forced to buy one of those killboxes that people with bases that have half the map have. Honestly, I dont like it... And I dont think it will work for sappers, which Im getting a bit too many of them.

Honestly idk how to manage sappers and infestations when I get much more wealth. Right now Im at 165.000k and cant manage sappers. I dont like to build massive bases, but I think that making all base fine floor is gonna cost me dearly in terms of raid size...

Alenerel

BTW if the almighty dev is listening... it would be great if we could get an alert or something when the mortar shields are down. Maybe a permanent message "mortar shield shut down in X days". Its also frustrating that its the only way to deal with some clusters...