[1.1.2579] - Click to drag has a delay? (Works fine in 1.0)

Started by Nade, March 24, 2020, 06:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nade

Hey, I haven't played Rimworld for a little while, but I jumped back on this evening and the biggest thing I've noticed from going to 1.1 from 1.0 is the 'Click to drag' feature, as in selecting multiple things on the map has a big delay?

Included a video from my phone:
https://vimeo.com/400408549/38247b009a

I'll be going back to 1.0 for the meantime.
Thanks

Tynan

Wow, I've never seen that, it doesn't happen on my machine and nobody's reported it. Looks really annoying though!

Nothing changed about box-selecting.

You can see in the video sometimes the box does appear where intended, then vanish and reappear. I suspect there's just something wrong with your mouse that is more obvious when box selecting. Like the button is clicking and releasing unintentionally. Try another mouse!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ark

Nade

So the steps I've done since creating the post:
- I've reinstalled 1.0 and confirm it works perfectly normal
- Installed 1.1 again, and same issue arose
- I've repeated this process twice and seems to only happen in 1.1

I've also tried several mice, two wireless and one wired and the same issue.
I'm going to try it on my laptop and see if it's an issue with my main computer.

I'm using an 2014 iMac. I have a Macbook Pro which I'll test it again :)
No mods are enabled, just base game

EDIT: I just installed Rimworld on my Macbook Pro and the same issue .. Also tried that with several mouse and the trackpack.
That's a bummer, I'll have to go back to 1.0 until a fix?
If you need more videos or examples - Let me know!

Ark

And did you have BetterTouchTool or something similar that watches your mouse for gestures? Try disabling that.

Nade

Ark

Support seems to pretty much roll on volunteer power. And the number of people that both
(1) use a mac
and
(2) consider reading the support and bugs forums an interesting activity
approaches zero.

I don't use a mac either, but since no-one else is stepping up, I am doing the equivalent of flinging spaghetti against the wall and seeing if it sticks.
I am just going to assume that you are not using any mods.
It's propably not a hardware issue, and propably not an issue with RimWorld itself.
Between RimWorld 1.0 and 1.1 the Unity engine it runs on was updated from 5.6.5 (December 2017) to 2019.2.17 (December 2019).
It is known that some software such as BTT doesn't play nice with the newer Unity engine.

Both of your macs are affected, therefore it is propably a piece of software that you have installed on both machines that is causing this issue.
If I were you, I might start removing or disabling software one by one, checking if it starts working. Or make backups, wipe everything and start building up from scratch. When RimWorld starts lagging again, you've found your culprit. Again, I am not a mac user and don't know of any better way.

(Not responsible for data loss due to faulty or non-existent backups. One backup is zero backups. An untested backup is not a backup.)

Tynan

I'm sorry I just honestly have no more idea of anything to try. The change in Unity engine is most likely related. Ark analysis looks right to me. Sometimes we really have no idea what to do either I'm afraid. It's rare but... happens.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Nade

Quote from: Ark on March 27, 2020, 09:17:17 AM
Both of your macs are affected, therefore it is propably a piece of software that you have installed on both machines that is causing this issue.

Big thank you, Ark,
I realized what I had in common with both machines, I use a software called 'Magnet' which acts like a snapping tool *duh*.
As soon as I disabled it, the function in-game worked as it should.
Many thanks for both yourself and Tynan for your help.
Big love!