Raiders teleporting

Started by LakeWobegon, March 25, 2020, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LakeWobegon

I play with no gameplay mods that alter the game and Ive noticed that all types of raiders (especially animals and sappers) love to walk over each other ;  when they eventually stop doing that its when the teleporting begins. The aftermath is raiders going from one square where for example 80 of them where having fun to dozens of cells away in just one game tick. Btw this also happened in 1.0 but it was not this severe.
As an example I was doing melee blocking to an all melee raid when the storyteller decided to spawn another (sapper) raid from the same faction; the sappers decided they wanted to come right to my front door where I was still fighting the 1st raid. The lead sapper proceeded to walk over his melee friends along with the 80 dudes that were following him. The un-stacking (teleporting) began right after I managed to kill the lead sapper and in a game tick my people and animals were pushed back and completely surrounded by pirates with doomsday rockets. Because of this hardcore cheating all my ppl were downed or killed.  Don't get me wrong I would still be in trouble but I definitely could do without the AI cheating/teleporting to surround me by pushing my animals and my colonists aside.  This was a very frustrating ending after +20 hours of effort to build my base.

ShadowKatt

Thre is a bug that can happen in BIG pileups, especially with things like sappers and ESPECIALLY with tribal sappers.

Because of the way the game works where only one such item can exist in a spot, such as only one floor, one furniture, one item, and one entity, when things change the game tries to shunt things around to make it so nothing is in conflict. For example if a pawn is downed and drops everything they have, and there isn't enough immediate room it seeks out the closest open space. SOMETIMES that's through a solid wall. The same thing can happen with raiders. When they're all piled in and something changes, someone dies and the game tries to sort out where everything falls, occasionally it can end up with PEOPLE getting shunted through doors and walls. it's kinda a funny bug, though it's less funny when they're setting fire to everything.

Sadly there's not really a fix for this. This is just the game doing what it does in the only way it knows how. The best solution in the future is to try and identify the places sappers like to go and reinforce it, try to deter them to go somewhere else with more room. Incindieary IEDs are fun too, not just because fire is fun but also because it causes them to scatter. So while the sappers might still try to come through they might not end up so tightly packed they jump through.

LakeWobegon

I was not talking about items teleporting, I am fine with that. I am talking about the game ignoring its own rules and in a single game tick being surrounded by hostiles inside my house when in the previous tick they were all outside albeit on the same tile/square.  No matter how many dudes/animals i have in a given area because the game tries to find a spot for the cheating raiders they are going to get pushed back/aside and surrounded. This is hardcore cheating that renders melee blocking useless. I played for +5k hours in 1.0 and only saw this behaviour 2 or 3 times but now I see it all the time. There must be a way to fix this or at the very least making sure that the raiders can never teleport past the players pawns. Teleporting outside the players house is "fine", teleporting inside past the opposition is wrong, frustrating and a sign of a broken mechanic/game.

Lexa

LakeWobegon

No I dont mean that. You cant manipulate 400 raiders all popping inside your house all at once especially if they are sappers. I am asking for the game to respect its own rules wrt movement speed or at the very least to not have the raiders instantly teleport inside the house because 80 of them were on the same spot while following a lead sapper. It makes melee blocking pointless at higher levels of wealth and makes the game look broken and stupid.

B@R5uk

I say again, save/load is the best cure when game is broken.