[1.0][1.1]Infestations spawning in weird places

Started by Currently_Fortifying, March 26, 2020, 09:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Currently_Fortifying

I'm pretty sure this has been reported before, but I couldn't find any topics on the matter.

The number of hives that spawn in an infestation scale with the players wealth. This isn't an issue early on as any given room the infestation spawns in will accommodate all of the spawned hives. Later on however, the number of hives that spawn will be so numerous that any given room cannot fit all of them in it. So the hives will overflow into nearby areas. Normally another viable room is picked and the hives spawn there. However, every so often locations that are not viable are picked instead. I've seen hives spawn in areas that are at -20 F, and I've seen them spawn in broad daylight.

To replicate this, make a 5x5 room deep in a mountain, make sure it's a viable temperature. Have 3 tile thick walls around the room, and then make a 1 tile wide tunnel around the walls, make sure the tunnel is below the minimum spawning temperature.

Also before I forget, infestations can spawn in the middle of a river if that river runs underneath overhead mountain. Not sure if it's intended, but it is annoying .

LWM

Quote from: Currently_Fortifying on March 26, 2020, 09:23:12 AM
Also before I forget, infestations can spawn in the middle of a river if that river runs underneath overhead mountain. Not sure if it's intended, but it is annoying .

I reported that one a month or two ago - turns out I missed a much earlier post where the devs confirmed it's a feature, not a bug.  The reasoning was something along the lines of "there are tunneling animals that live in the water, and the have tunnels that open up in the water, and insects can swim, so why not?"  ...I can't fault that logic, altho trying to deal with bugs spawning in the river is a real pain.

As far as the first part goes....I expect that catching all cases would be rather complicated, but they may be able to update the spawning logic so it looks for "best" areas first....but who knows.  It may be that the bugs dig up around their central area and only THEN discover they picked a bad spot.

Tynan

It's all as intended. LWN discussed the river thing, and the forced spawning is really because - what's the alternative? The hives need to spawn somewhere, so they have to be able to spawn in places that aren't optimal. We won't make a situation where infestations just magically become small if the room they start in is small.

As long as nothing technically breaks, it's in spec.

Thanks for reporting either way.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog