Vanilla Crash

Started by steelpanther, March 26, 2020, 03:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelpanther

So I have regular crashes playing in Vanilla. Used to be just BSOD, now I get a frequent crash to desktop, with a BSOD now and again. I've tried versifying files but that always checks out. I was suggested to uninstall and reinstall and I did that, and I can play a lot longer but eventually it still crashes.

Canute

Hi,
when you got BSOD it is mosttimes are driver/hardware issue in combination of Unity engine.
You should look if you update all driver if you didn't done it yet.

But without more information, it is impossible to say anything.
When you still got problems after the updates, you should attach the logfile to your answer.
Mosttimes you can find the logfile (Player.log), when you open the logfile folder, there i a button at the.
Option.
To attach files to your answer you need to use the Reply button first.

steelpanther

Canute

Yep, thats the logfile.
But let me guess you didn't got a crash. Because the log don't show any.
But i see you got an AMD R5, another user got problems too.
No crashes but some strange textures problems.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=51283.0

So try to update the driver at first !!

steelpanther

I had updated the driver awhile back for something or another, turned out to not be the problem, and caused all sorts of trouble down to OS issues and the Driver software wouldn't work properly. I really don't want to go back to that. I checked the file before for some reason, think a reddit post, and did see once a D3d handler error.

steelpanther

Got a crash report this time in the log.

steelpanther

Getting a new laptop, so I'm trying out linux in case they made it so I can't fix windows, I haven't had a single issue in hours, So there's some windows/driver problem going on, I think you're right.

Canute

Before you install linux, you can try to reset windows, deinstall the video driver before, and install the fresh driver again. Don't forget to update other driver too.
Or you can try to post at the AMD support forum and/or Unity forum.

Sorry that i can't help you more.

steelpanther

Thank you for your help.

Depending on the new laptop, I may or not install linux on this. What I'm not going to do is spend weeks fiddling with two sets of windows trying to get them to work right. For now I guess I'll just play rimworld running mint off a usb drive till I get the new toy to play with and figure out what I'm going to do, if anything.

Canute

You say, you can play at the same mashine with a linux OS ?
That show that the hardware works, and it is a problem with the driver and/or windows.

steelpanther

Yup, just got done playing 10 or more hours without a hitch playing on linux running from a USB drive. Was running great till the end.