I think I have a Mod Problem

Started by Thomasdagod, March 26, 2020, 10:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomasdagod

So I recently started playing Rimworld a lot more since I'm on an extra-long break from school. I decided to download some mods to make it a little more fun and now I can't stop downloading more and more mods. I'll literally be playing and get just a tad bit annoyed at the mechanics of the game then immediately try to go find a mod that could possibly fix it. There's just so many mods and I want to be able to experience so many of them.

Bozobub

Understandable, and within limits, perfectly OK, BUT there are definite disadvantages to mod addiction:
  • Longer load times.  Any mod that adds or changes item definitions will cause the saves to take longer to load.
  • Overall gameplay slowdown.  Any mod that adds "per-tick" scripting/calculations will slow down gameplay.  It's possible (and common) for a given mod to have both scripting AND item changes!
  • Fragility.  Your game environment will be far more susceptible to bugs and outright weirdness, much of which is nearly impossible to properly diagnose.
  • Difficulty in maintenance and troubleshooting (see above).
  • Susceptibility to breakage from updates, whether the main game or individual mods, UNLESS you properly copy mods into the local folder.
If you don't mind the negatives, mod away!  But remember, the more mods you have running at the same time, the less people can, and will even be willing to help you when problems appear ^^'.
Thanks, belgord!

Canute

Don't forget No Mod is perfect, even vanilla Rimworld isn't perfect, you allways can find bugs and error's that might prevent you from playing.
So the important rule are, enable Developer mode and check the logwindow everytime you activate new mods if any red text (error) show up.
Better don't use mod's that give you error's and report that to the mod author so he can take a look.

Even when Rimworld starts without error, that is no garantee that not some mod conflict or something throw out errors later during gameplay, so you should be careful to play a modded permadeath game.

Don't try to activate all mod's you can grab into one game.
Like Bozobub mention, the Rimworld startup extend dramatical on longer modlist. Loading times from 5-15 min can happen.
(Hint: Don't disable Run in Background or the loading process take forever if you didn't focus on Rimworld)

Keep a default modpack with nessesary mods like the libaries, Quality of life, and other mods you would like to have (Fridges, toilets) all the time.
Then add theme mod like races,weapons,faction for each playthrough.
A Marine who can cast spells,is a vampire and wear nervesuits and fight against the real Aliens surrounded by Zombies sounds like a challenging scenario.
But many of these mods change the gameplay dramatical and the chances for a mod conflict are high !

Prologue

I can relate, I've been exited for 1.1 since the announcement, but so far I've only been working on fixing my mod collection for my next session and every day I seem to find more mods that I feel like I need in the list. At the moment the only thing that really bothers me is that I can't seem to find a 1.1 mod for removing rocket launchers and similar annoying weapons.

Bozobub

If you add mods slowly, one or a few at a time, and check carefully for conflicts each time, you'll end up wasting FAR less time, once something goes south; you'll already know which mod it is, or at least be very close to the answer.
Thanks, belgord!