A new dawn

Started by CharlieC, November 01, 2014, 04:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wex

You should really consider a writer career.
This is gold.
Don't let us down!!!  ;D
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

skullywag

That last sentence made me chortle. Rimworld and its hunting, sometimes more dangerous than raids.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

CharlieC

Twenty Three.

As the weeks passed the S.S Lupe grew in size. After the three sleep pods were installed work progressed quickly. The computer brain of the ship was completed and the work on the engines and power delivery was progressing steadily. Work was then held up as the plas steel stocks ran out. Every trader that passed in near space was quizzed on getting more supplies of the precious ore to us. We had built up large stocks of goods to exchange. The stockpile was full and cluttered. It had been waiting for a suitable trader for so long that it was thick with grass and had jungle weeds growing through it. Tendrils of vines squeezed their way through a mountain of cloth cowboy hats and green moss covered the piled up chopped logs. Weapons were greased and boxed in boar fat ready for export and clothes were neatly stacked under fat smeared cloth covers to help keep out the rotting effect of the jungle.

There had been a great deal of argument and discussion on who was to take the first three births on the S.S Lupe. There had been suggestions of holding a blind lottery. A favoured lottery based on time in the colony or leaving in the order we arrived. We had considered age, disability, mental state and usefulness to the colony as being used in a points system. No system was a clear favourite and in the end our four empaths were charged with finding the most ethical solution. They locked themselves away after spending a week questioning everyone in the community about a whole host of views. After a few days of quiet discussion they had come to a decision. Our first three passengers would be decided by vote. Each member of the colony would vote for the three colonists that they thought deserved the ticket to get off world.  Each named member would get three votes and the top three scorers would be the chosen. The vote would take place immediately to prevent bribery, threats and politics from polluting the result. Three pebbles were given to everyone. On the surface of each pebble each colonist wrote a name and then the pebbles were put in a large wooden bowl. I found incredibly difficult to choose and ran all the people of home through my head. I finally decided on those that first arrived should be first to leave. I chose Cristobal, Sissy and Cisneros.

The empaths calculated and verified the result and declared to a hushed audience in the converted canteen that Cristobal, Sissy and I were to leave. I sat stunned unable to speak or hardly move. I could see Cristobal high fiving the other miners. Sissy was in floods of tears and saying sorry and apologizing to everyone in earshot. Some of the gathered were clapping and others were complaining a little too loudly. A few were trying to garner support for a re-run or explaining why they should get a birth. The voices drained away and I felt everything inside mentally shift as a new hope built within me. Was it possible? Would I have a new chance to find my Sarah and re-gain my old life? Would I really leave this hell hole? I walked through the crowd with some colonists clapping my back and others wanting to shake hands.  I even got a kiss from a couple of the younger female colonists. I made my way outside through the warren of tunnels and walked towards the ship. Its bulk gleamed in the starlight. A small hunched figure was sitting on a rock staring at the ship. It was Cisneros.

'Two votes out, must have told a couple of jokes a few too many times I guess.' He sighed turning towards me.

'You will get on the next ship for sure and it's only a few deliveries of plas steel away. We have the electronics and steel for the next ship.' I offered, feeling pretty bad. I wanted to give him my place on the S.S. Lupe but only for a second or two and then I thought of my Sarah.

'Yeah maybe, it's a fresh vote though so if I work on a few more jokes make more people like me I'll get enough votes to get a pod.' He said eagerly.

'I would maybe go light on new jokes or jokes at all to be honest and maybe a few less songs.' I said patting his leg and winking at him.

'I wish you well Walter, you deserve to go. You were the first and you have been a de facto leader. They will miss you and envy you but they have learned from you. Just try and lighten up a little.' He grinned at me and offered his hand and we shook.

'I wish you well too Minstrel.'

The weeks passed with little work being done on the S.S. Lupe. We were still waiting for a trader with a good supply of the rare and almost magical plas steel. We had plenty of metal ore stored and so we started the skeleton of the S.S. Berro. This ship was named after a tribal who had been with us for a few months. He had died during a skirmish with the local tribes. A large group of tribesmen had gathered to the south of home near to a geo thermal plant and looked to be preparing for another suicidal frontal attack. Berro had been working in the cotton fields and ignoring all pleas from other colonists he had foolishly gone out to the tribe and attempted to mediate. They had replied to his compassionate offer of friendship with a volley of arrows and pila's whilst screaming curses at him. The tribesmen then threw themselves at our machine gun defences. Very soon they were dead, dying, unconscious or fleeing the area. We placed four tribe people into the cells and went to find Berro. His battered, pierced body was recovered from behind a rock outcrop and he was buried next to our other fallen comrades. A few hours after the burial we had notification that a near space trader was carrying plas steel and would soon be in transfer range. We took delivery of a very large amount of the curious metal. Our calculations showed that there was enough to complete the first space ship. As the plas steel was delivered a mortar shell exploding in the potato patch signalled the start of another large pirate raid.

The pirates had taken up a siege position about half a mile away to the south and were peppering us with a combination of incendiary and explosive mortar fire. Mortar parties were formed and soon a defensive barrage of shells was exploding on top of the raiders. We kept up a good rate of fire all day and all night using a shift system. This concentrated fire had a huge demoralising effect on the raiders. Within a day they had started to fight amongst themselves and we had heard a few fire fights breaking out. Yet again a group of visitors from Strengths plain decided to call and ended up in a vicious gun battle with the pirates. All the visitors were tragically soon killed. After a few more hours of artillery the pirates had had enough and they rushed the guns. There was a short, vicious massacre in front of the turrets, death was dealt at close range. We threw six injured pirates into the cells. The area of their encampment was littered with food packages and all sorts of weapons and armour. We recovered several power suits and R-4 rifles along with piles of lesser spoils.

The plas steel we had bought was incorporated into the ship over the course of a few days and nights of constant work. After a week of tests the ship was declared ready to leave. I spent my last few days saying my goodbyes and counting down the hours. I went to Lupe's old quarters and found his folder of drawings. I decided that if I did reach civilization I would try and get something done with them. He was maybe going to be a legendary Artist yet.

The day of the launch was bright and clear. A few clouds scudded across the sky. The whole colony was gathered as we made our way to the pods. A few people shouted out farewells and a few shouted humorous obscenities. The atmosphere was light and jovial. I shook hands and hugged. Tears were fought. We were strapped into the pods. As the lid started to close I heard a thunderous clap, the pod swayed violently and I felt a huge psychic wave of horror flow over my mind. A few yards from the S.S. Lupe a huge piece of ancient ship had suddenly crashed landed from the heavens. In the smoke and flames I could just see the outlines of dozens of centipedes and Scythers as they exploded from the crashed fuselage. The pod lid snapped shut to the sound of screaming and gunfire.

I slept.

The End.

litlbear

yes

CharlieC

The S.S. Lupe with Walter, Sissy and Cristobal in the pods as the ship part crashes!

And then....

skullywag

So did the colonists get mullered?

Damn good story. Hope you do one (or some) for A8.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Hayhorse

Post a comment if you cry every time.

mipen

This was a damn good story, I am so glad I came across this! I've really enjoyed reading through this. Thank you for taking the time to write this, it was very well done and offers a very nice, touching and personal feel to the game. Bravo! :) *gives standing ovation*