Succession Game Thread V1.1 � IN PROGRESS - Chapter 3: Potato Vodka

Started by theapolaustic1, August 01, 2014, 04:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rahjital

Quote from: milon on August 13, 2014, 04:01:01 PM
I meant spawn 3 if the colony gets wiped out (ie. new colony in the ruins of the old).  But I think you're talking about each successive Colony Leader spawning a new pawn and playing as that pawn, correct?

No, I meant the same thing you did, restarting the colony after it dies but with only one pawn. I'm starting to think we shouldn't do it at all, though, since if there's no way to kill off the colony, people won't try as much to keep it alive and we'll lose on a lot of fun stories with people desperately trying to keep the colony going.

Quote from: Telkir on August 02, 2014, 03:33:35 PMI propose that each player should be allowed and indeed required to spawn one new colonist at the beginning of their turn using developer mode. If it is the player's first turn then this colonist can be their roleplay character if they so wish. Perhaps this artifical "migrant wave" could scale up as the game progresses - i.e. 2 colonists per turn after six months, 3 colonists after a year, and so on.

Rimworld doesn't handle a lot of colonists nearly as well as DF does, though. Tynan himself stated that the number he's designing the game around is 10 colonists, which would be a starter fort for dwarves. I think people should only be allowed to spawn a new colonist for themselves when there are no others free for renaming. That will ensure we will care about all the colonists, even if they are weak and have terrible traits - they will still be people you can talk to here on the forums :)

Quote from: Telkir on August 02, 2014, 03:33:35 PM
EDIT: And do we have any final decision on the turn time?

Turn time as in in-game time, or real time? If you mean in-game, then I would support 30 days, which seems to be about equal to 1 year in DF in terms on how great mark can a person leave on the world.

milon

A6 let's you generate a world map, choose a biome, choose specific landing site (note that you can zoom in and pan around on the map!), choose a difficulty, and storyteller.  I'm fine with it if the first player wants to choose everything.  Also of note is the fact that there's now an option in-game to rename your colonists.  :D

theapolaustic1

Quote from: milon on August 13, 2014, 01:31:29 PM
Alpha 6 is out!  Theapolaustic1, will you update the OP and the schedule?  Also, are there any outstanding issues to be addressed before we start?
Oh shit, I didn't even realize! I'm so sorry, I'll try to have the schedule ready soon, I'll start up my turn ASAP.

Quote from: Telkir on August 13, 2014, 04:22:47 PM
With the new changes to colonist health it seems to make it still more likely that our brave survivors will meet an untimely end from a variety of tragic, laughable, or improbable circumstances...  8)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, what do folks think of the idea I mentioned in my earlier post?

The consensus seems to be 30 days, which I can support. Sounds like everyone agrees one week is fine for IRL time to do it, if anyone finishes early though, we could bump the next person up to get going faster, of course.

Quote from: Rahjital on August 13, 2014, 06:10:30 PM
Quote from: milon on August 13, 2014, 04:01:01 PM
I meant spawn 3 if the colony gets wiped out (ie. new colony in the ruins of the old).  But I think you're talking about each successive Colony Leader spawning a new pawn and playing as that pawn, correct?

No, I meant the same thing you did, restarting the colony after it dies but with only one pawn. I'm starting to think we shouldn't do it at all, though, since if there's no way to kill off the colony, people won't try as much to keep it alive and we'll lose on a lot of fun stories with people desperately trying to keep the colony going.

Quote from: Telkir on August 02, 2014, 03:33:35 PMI propose that each player should be allowed and indeed required to spawn one new colonist at the beginning of their turn using developer mode. If it is the player's first turn then this colonist can be their roleplay character if they so wish. Perhaps this artifical "migrant wave" could scale up as the game progresses - i.e. 2 colonists per turn after six months, 3 colonists after a year, and so on.

Rimworld doesn't handle a lot of colonists nearly as well as DF does, though. Tynan himself stated that the number he's designing the game around is 10 colonists, which would be a starter fort for dwarves. I think people should only be allowed to spawn a new colonist for themselves when there are no others free for renaming. That will ensure we will care about all the colonists, even if they are weak and have terrible traits - they will still be people you can talk to here on the forums :)

Turn time as in in-game time, or real time? If you mean in-game, then I would support 30 days, which seems to be about equal to 1 year in DF in terms on how great mark can a person leave on the world.

I agree on "only spawn in a colonist if there are none available to rename". If someone wants to end their turn saying their colonist left or got KIA or something (even if game events don't support this, it might work for your story), then that colonist could be renamed instead, too. I also think that "dead is dead" should be the rule, we can hold to the rotation and just have the next person in line start the new colony up, which sounds fine by my book. Might be more fun that way instead of having the OP of the succession thread always be the one to actually start, too (which also ties into Milon's comment; difficulty I'd say is fixed on Randy, but the other stuff could be up to the colony founder).

I'll edit the OP post to have final rulings so that everyone knows the consensus, then get started on my turn tonight. First story post should be up tonight or tomorrow, depending on how much I get around to playing.

theapolaustic1

As an FYI, A6 seems to have a bug in it that messed with the priorities for eating. Initial attempt at a colony just died out because someone decided she'd rather starve to death trying to heal the wounded rather than, y'know, shove a potato down her gullet before getting back to work.

Rerolled and trying again, thus the delay on my first post. The new health/injuries system is pretty fucking brutal, as a forewarning.

Rahjital

Good to hear things are beginning! I was getting a bit afraid something nasty happened to your free time. I see I am the second in schedule, so I should better get ready. Feel free to say something once you are done!

I would also like to (re-)propose a rule before the game really begins:

Quote from: Rahjital on August 02, 2014, 05:00:14 AM
I would also like to propose another rule: Don't look at the previous players' turns until you are finished with your own. Part of the fun in the various DF successions is the "What the hell does lever even do?" situations, and while there are unfortunately no levers and magma channels in Rimworld, I still feel there could be a lot of fun to have with situations for which you can't make any plans in advance.

Edit:

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 16, 2014, 07:22:43 AM
As an FYI, A6 seems to have a bug in it that messed with the priorities for eating. Initial attempt at a colony just died out because someone decided she'd rather starve to death trying to heal the wounded rather than, y'know, shove a potato down her gullet before getting back to work.

Rerolled and trying again, thus the delay on my first post. The new health/injuries system is pretty fucking brutal, as a forewarning.

Yeah, Doctoring has a greater priority than eating, much like Firefighting. Sometimes you don't want your doctor to run off from saving the wounded from bleeding to death, but at other times, you might want to turn the Doctoring job off in order to let the doctor take care of themselves.

The new wound system has pawns go down much quicker than before, but fortunately it applies to raiders as well. Cutting down half of the enemies before they even reach cover is nothing extraordinary now.

theapolaustic1

Quote from: Rahjital on August 16, 2014, 07:34:15 AM
Good to hear things are beginning! I was getting a bit afraid something nasty happened to your free time. I see I am the second in schedule, so I should better get ready. Feel free to say something once you are done!

I would also like to (re-)propose a rule before the game really begins:

Quote from: Rahjital on August 02, 2014, 05:00:14 AM
I would also like to propose another rule: Don't look at the previous players' turns until you are finished with your own. Part of the fun in the various DF successions is the "What the hell does lever even do?" situations, and while there are unfortunately no levers and magma channels in Rimworld, I still feel there could be a lot of fun to have with situations for which you can't make any plans in advance.

Edit:

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 16, 2014, 07:22:43 AM

Yeah, Doctoring has a greater priority than eating, much like Firefighting. Sometimes you don't want your doctor to run off from saving the wounded from bleeding to death, but at other times, you might want to turn the Doctoring job off in order to let the doctor take care of themselves.

The new wound system has pawns go down much quicker than before, but fortunately it applies to raiders as well. Cutting down half of the enemies before they even reach cover is nothing extraordinary now.

The "no reading other stories" thing sounds cool, though maybe not so much a "rule" as much as a "suggestion". It might be worthwhile to let people at least skim them so they can have an idea for why some build orders are still in place before their turn (or should we just clear all build orders when we end? Might be a bit extreme lol).

And yeah, I noticed that I was able to get raiders down quite a bit faster. Though the fact that some wounds can be permanent (most notably, getting your goddamn eye shot out) seems like it might compound to go against long-term colonies. Guess we'll find out!

And yeah, my free time was sorta taken away for a bit. Nothing major or pressing, just drama in the love life. Polyamory has its upsides and its downsides, lol.

In regard to eating priority: Do you know how exactly it's weighted? Do I have to turn doctoring off entirely? I had it down as far as 4 and she was still doing it before, which was baffling given everything else was higher.

milon

Personally I don't like the "no reading ahead" rule. I'm thinking about this from a story telling point of view. IMO, the story flows much better when you can build on what the previous players have written. That way you can have running jokes, common themes, stronger character development, etc.

EDIT - I haven't had much trouble with the new health system. I rather like it. And as long as an injured colonist gets prompt treatment (even if it's poor), the only thing you have to watch out for us an insta-permanent injury.

theapolaustic1

NOTE FOR THOSE SKIMMING: STORYTIME LINK CONTAINED BELOW.

Quote from: milon on August 16, 2014, 09:51:44 AM
Personally I don't like the "no reading ahead" rule. I'm thinking about this from a story telling point of view. IMO, the story flows much better when you can build on what the previous players have written. That way you can have running jokes, common themes, stronger character development, etc.

EDIT - I haven't had much trouble with the new health system. I rather like it. And as long as an injured colonist gets prompt treatment (even if it's poor), the only thing you have to watch out for us an insta-permanent injury.

Well, how's this for a compromise: If the previous colony leader is alive at the end of their "reign", then you can read because "in character" the guy is there to explain to you what he's been doing, if they die, then it's up to you to fit together the pieces of what's been going on. Reading the other peoples' stories is obviously fine, just hold off on the person directly ahead of you until you've confirmed they live through it.

Also makes it even more important to keep your leader alive throughout, because not only are you ending your turn early if he dies, but you might be screwing over the colony if the next person's going in blind.

So that you know, if that's what we're doing, Rahj, you're free to read the following, as is everyone else: Storytime.

And here's the save file: Link.

theapolaustic1

Updated the schedule and OP post to reflect that I've finished my turn. Rahj, you still have until the 28th to finish your turn, so don't feel any pressure, but you're welcome to start as soon as you want.

Rahjital

Story of my turn: Colony Giha, load... Wait, why did the screen turned into rainbow vomit? What is happeni- Oooh, I forgot to create the world first! *facedesk* Perhaps posting instructions

And just to make sure, posting the stories here in this topic instead of an imgur album is fine, right? I'd rather use imgur only for the pictures. You know what, don't mind this. Imgur album is actually a pretty good format for this (as your own story shows) and it will be better if we stuck to doing things the same way.

Quote from: milon on August 16, 2014, 09:51:44 AM

That's a very good point. I suppose that there's no way to have both... although there's a compromise of playing out your Rimworld turn, reading others' stories and only then writing and roleplaying yourself. Doesn't allow roleplaying directly while playing, but the quality shouldn't suffer too much from that. The worst problem would be that the 20th or so player would have way too much to read.

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 16, 2014, 01:39:59 PMWell, how's this for a compromise: If the previous colony leader is alive at the end of their "reign", then you can read because "in character" the guy is there to explain to you what he's been doing, if they die, then it's up to you to fit together the pieces of what's been going on. Reading the other peoples' stories is obviously fine, just hold off on the person directly ahead of you until you've confirmed they live through it.

Also makes it even more important to keep your leader alive throughout, because not only are you ending your turn early if he dies, but you might be screwing over the colony if the next person's going in blind.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea either, I'll follow this and we'll see how it turns out. Maybe making a separate "blind" succesion game in the future is a better idea.

I'm ready for my turn, by the way, though I think I'll wait till tommorow so that I won't screw up too much. Although a sleep deprived play could be a lot of fun too... especially for those playing after me ;D

theapolaustic1

If you needed the link to the world save, it's here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj29moqgeoh2oob/RegulusKsora.rww

Wasn't aware that was necessary now, sorry!

Regarding format: It's entirely up to you, I just found the imgur album easiest because I was able to use Windows 7's Snipping Tool program to get screenshots as I went along, save them "01.png, 02.png, 03.png, etc" in a single folder, then upload them all at once. Then just had to edit in the comments.

Whatever works best for you is entirely good, though (unless it's some dickass shit like posting a link to your blog with ads all up and down the sides, that is, lol). I'll link to the posts, albums or whatever down the line, it shouldn't be too hard to compile them in the OP post.

Quote from: Rahjital on August 16, 2014, 03:21:19 PMAlthough a sleep deprived play could be a lot of fun too... especially for those playing after me ;D

"Sir? Sir? We're under attack! Sir, please!"

*gentle snoring sounds emanate from underneath the desk*

"Welp, he's got no orders for us. Guess we should just wander around the same as normal until we're actively being shot at."

And thus the colony comes to its inevitably glory-filled conclusion.

Telkir

*Bounces around happily*

It's happening! It's actually happening!  ;D

Rahjital

Permission to switch Doc's and Boozer's childhood backstory? I've been playing the game writing the story as it went, and only now, 5 Rimworld days before my turn ends, I have noticed that I mixed it up... Oooops. Unfortunately, I've based the roleplaying very heavily on that, to the point where I'll have to delete the entire post and start from scratch if it's not allowed. :-[

theapolaustic1

Quote from: Rahjital on August 17, 2014, 12:59:13 PM
Permission to switch Doc's and Boozer's childhood backstory? I've been playing the game writing the story as it went, and only now, 5 Rimworld days before my turn ends, I have noticed that I mixed it up... Oooops. Unfortunately, I've based the roleplaying very heavily on that, to the point where I'll have to delete the entire post and start from scratch if it's not allowed. :-[

Swap mechanically, or just swap in terms of fluff?

I'd say avoid swapping mechanically, but if you just clarify in some parenthesis what's going on in terms of the story, I don't think anyone will get too torn up over a mismatch with the screenshots :P

Quote from: Telkir on August 17, 2014, 10:43:12 AM
*Bounces around happily*

It's happening! It's actually happening!  ;D

milon

It's late and I haven't read all the recent posts, but I am in favor of both compromises suggested.  I will only read the story posts after my turn, and only from leaders that are still alive. :)

(Edit for clarification.)