Succession Game Thread V1.1 � IN PROGRESS - Chapter 3: Potato Vodka

Started by theapolaustic1, August 01, 2014, 04:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

OOC: Sorry for the delay.  Real life was insane, but I've got it finished now.  Also, I somehow left out the May 11 entry.  I've edited it into my original post for continuity, and I also included it here since no one else has read it yet:

----

May 11
I was thinking about the low-power situation that caused the turrets to be disabled when we were attacked.  There's a steam vent nearby, so I created another construction project.  The plan is to build a stone wall out from the base, around the vent, and back, and also to mine through the exposed mineral in the wall of the base.  This gives protected access to the geothermal vent, increases our power output (so turrets can always be functional), and increases our access to metal.  And it gives the builders & miners more constructive outlets.  It's win-win-win!

I stepped back to have a look over things at the colony, and I noticed that there's lots of other steam vents nearby.  As long as we have sufficient stone, power production shouldn't ever be a problem for us.

----

May 15
Today was a really good day!  First, Burns finished constructing our mortars!  Lu and Burns volunteered to be the first to use.  I was hesitant to allow Lu to work a mortar, seeing as she only has one eye, but she really had it out for the raiders and Burns assured me it shouldn't affect the mortar's accuracy.  I consented, and while they were setting up I went to inspect the potato food production status.

Things were coming along really well.  Lawson and some others were doing a great job of growing our food crops.  I ordered roses to be planted in the middle of a couple potato gardens, which should help the overall morale (people seem to really like roses, go figure).  I'm really considering handing control over to Lawson once things are a little more stable.

I was talking with Rahj about the garden, and how to improve it further.  You see, plants grow much better with the help of a sunlamp, but sunlamps are notoriously difficult to protect from the rain the plants need.  A roof would fix that, but would interfere with the growth of the plants.  So the solution was to put a roof over a sunlamp, but walls would get in the way of the gardeners and the light from the sunlamp itself.  This was when McLovin walked by.  He overheard the end of our conversation and said "so use a door instead."  He was right!  A doorframe can support a roof, and the door can easily be opened at need.  I ordered some door-sheltered sunlamps built, then wandered back to the mortars to see how things were coming.

KABOOM!!  A deafening explosion shook the ground, and Lu's mortar lurched back half a step.  Lu was smirking to herself.  The trajectory looked good.  We watched.  It was headed straight for an enemy mortar!  That's when Rahj ran up with his own good news.  "Levin decided to join us!"

The explosive shell overshot the mortar.  Burns' first shot fell short.  No damage had been inflicted to the Bears, but the shots were in the right direction.  Which is more than I can say of the Bears' mortar operators.  Lu's next shot found a target, and an hour later this was the result:

Lu and Burns were tiring, so I gave them a break and had Rahj and his new friend Levin take over.  The Bears were still scoring occasional minor hits to the colony, but they only hit walls or the occasional power line.  Nothing critical as of yet.  Rahj, however, was proving to be as good a mortar operator as Lu.  The shrapnel from one of his shots turned one of the Bears into a walking dead man -- at least, I assume so.  It looks like they have neither the battery nor the surgical ability to save him.

Late at night, Levin scored a hit of his own.  He nailed the Bears' mortar operator, who unfortunately shielded the mortar itself from the hit.

June 1
The mortaring continued through the night.  I didn't sleep well, but we're still in good shape. 

The raiders are looking pretty beat up.  They're running low on food, and they haven't done anything about their dead.  A number of their living won't be for much longer either.  They must be feeling pretty hopeless by now, but they're stubborn and continue the fight.  Once this is wrapped up, I'll hand control over to Lawson and go back to my still.  I can hardly wait!!

This evening
Disaster struck in the form of a mortar shell.  It landed square on our crops.  Many potatoes, both harvested and unharvested, were destroyed.  I again feel the cold tendrils of despair closing upon me.

Late at night
Friends from Struggle's Ridge showed up tonight.  The last enemy mortar has been destroyed.  Who cares.

June 2
I was woken by the sound of gunfire.  Or rather, guns and fire.  Outside.  The clock says 1AM.  I rubbed my eyes and looked out.  Struggle's Ridge hates the Bears of Death, and made a sneak attack.

Sadly, their most skilled doctor was the first to take a hit.

We're not going out there to help.  It's literally a war zone, and I'm pretty sure that neither side would be happy with having us in the middle.

An hour later, the battle was still going on.  It wasn't exactly raging anymore, and the Bears of Death were becoming the Bears are Dead.

It's 3am, and the Bears have been routed.  One Bear (who we later learned was named Belcourt) was having a particularly bad day.  Makes me feel not so bad now.

4AM
Apparently Struggle's Ridge has given up on the idea of medical treatment.  Rahjital called out offering help, Struggle's Ridge was still in a battle frenzy and couldn't understand.  They just yelled and brandished their weapons.  I told Rahj to stay inside.  No point in getting killed for nothing.

Damn, Belcourt.  I feel a laugh coming back.

Poor Alli.  She won't last much longer.

7AM
Belcourt, you're a full-on human torch!  You've been burning for 4 hours and you're STILL on fire!  Burn baby burn!!

Also, you can see Bren from here.  He had a crappy gun, so I told him to take one off a dead body.  Struggle's Ridge got really agitated when he got near Alli, so he kept his distance and no one got trigger happy.  Lawson and Lu have been busy, and our crops are starting to make a recovery.  Thank God!

8AM
This is not good.  Five mechanoids just dropped in and immediately began moving towards our base.  We coutned 3 Scythers and 2 Centipedes. 

Even worse, Struggle's Ridge finally came out of their battle frenzy.  I had hoped for their help, but instead they ran away from the threat.  I issued some last-minute orders, and we all grabbed our guns and took positions.

11AM
Brace yourselves!  The mechs have broken through the north entrance!

I'm hit!  It was just my left arm, but it felt like it was nearly blown off.  I think I can still shoot using my right arm.

Levin, NOOO!!

McLovin, not you too!!!  Bren, get him out of there!!

Take that, you filthy bastards!!!

Lawson?  Lawson!!  Oh God, no, Lawson, NO!  DON'T LEAVE US!!!
EVIL FILTH!! WHY WON'T YOU BURN?!

Bren, you're okay.  Keep moving, get to a flanking position, AND DON'T YOU DARE DIE!!

It's Struggle's Ridge! They came back!!  We're saved!!!

CUURRRRSE YOOOOUUU!!!

8PM
We are lost.  The Scythers are down, but the Centipedes are still rampaging in the base.  One of them has a minigun, and the other has a damned inferno cannon.  We've lost a power plant, our north entrance is a smoldering fire, we have been abandoned by our allies.  There is no hope for us.  We are doomed.  Giha, I raise to you my empty flask and drink deeply of despair.

11PM
Only superficial damage has been done to the invaders.

June 3, 1AM
The only thing standing between us and swift death is a turret built by Burns.  Sadly, it is burning, and its time is short.

2AM
McLovin is in the hospital being cared for by Rahj.  The others are alternately resting, eating, avoiding the mechs, and taking pot-shots from around corners.  It's the best we can do.  We won't win, but we won't give them an easy victory either.  Hell, we may even take one of them with us.

The fire begins to spread dangerously near the hospital.  We can't risk moving McLovin, but he's stable for now.  Rahj and I keep a close watch on the fire while we play peek-a-boo-of-death with the mechs.  Bren took one hit too many, so I sent him to the hospital.

3AM
Alice got some really good shots off.  The mech knows it's in trouble.

Burns' Turret is still burning, but also still working.

4AM
Burns' Turret still operates!  It's on fire, it's nearly destroyed, and it's being fired upon by both mechs.  But it still operates!  If any of us live through this, Burns is getting a medal!

5AM
The fire continues to spread.  I begin considering emergency evacuation options for the hospital.  Burns' Turret finally succumbs to fire and bullets.

But Burns' Turret was faithful to the end.  We prioritized the inferno cannon mech, and I think we'll get it after all!

7AM
Rahj continues working on McLovin and Bren.  Bren should be out soon.  Alice and I are keeping the mechs busy.  Lu keeps everyone fed.

4PM
YEEEESSS!!  One down, and one to go!

June 4
DON'T.  MESS.  WITH.  GIHA!

The mechanoid threat has been terminated.  Repairs are underway.  To celebrate, I ordered the construction of mechanoid refinery.  We'll met 'em down and use their metal to rebuild Giha.  Things are looking -

Me and my stupid mouth.  God Damn Bears of Death!  God damn sieges!  FML!

June 5
We've got one mortar up, and we're working on the second.  The Bears set up their camp further away than last time.  I tell Lu to send them Giha's best.  Her grinned scared even me.

10PM
Guess who made another visit?  Struggle's Ridge.  Seriously guys?  We're not exactly friends right now.  Especially since you seem to be a homing beacon for the Bears' mortars!  Get out!  Get out now!!

June 6
The welcoming party led by Lu continues.  Alice, Rahj, and Burns also make their contributions.

The Bear called Red seems to be the look out man, and he seems to be saying "Oh, sh*!"  He says that a lot.

I finally had enough of Struggle's Ridge.  I loudly ordered McLovin to shell our west entrance.  They got the hint and fled in all directions.  I quietly told McLovin to stand down.

Some of them went straight towards the Bears.  Finally!

That didn't work out so well.  I guess it's up to us again.  As usual.

June 8, 4AM
Hey Bears!  How about a little pre-dawn wake up call?

After we shelled the heck out of them, they quit being campers and decided to try a frontal assault.  After a quick burst or two from the auto-turrets, they ran off.  Half of them dropped dead from blood loss before they got away.  They others shiver in fear at the name of Giha.

DON'T.  MESS.  WITH.  GIHA!!

June 12
Considering how previous journal entries have gone, I'll just say that repairs and garden work are quite acceptable, but not yet finished.  I am currently feeling positive.

June 14, 11PM
THIEF!!  THIEVES!!!  Struggle's Ridge, seriously?  Were you all dropped on your heads at birth?!  I've got half a mind to...  Nah, I'm not going to do anything.  Take all you want.  Help yourselves!  Revenge is a dish best served cold.

June 15, 10PM
Today was the best day of my life.  The garden is finished, the potatoes are ready for the harvest, the sunlamps are going full force, and they're protected from rain.  I've decided that Struggle's Ridge can be somebody else's problem.  I have only to decide whose problem that will be.  After that, my only problem will be finding my still again...

Lazarus

Have to say... the way you ended this (as I did mine last night) is perfect to the beginning of mine! :D

Hope the OOC is sorted for you now! I shall post up in a little while just making sure it seems cohesive enough to not look like a madman wrote it... >:)
Poke poke, stab stab.

milon

Hehe, yeah, I know that feeling.  ;)

Make sure to update the subject line when you post yours!  :D

Rahjital

Your changes to the mess hall, and the butcher's and mason's shops make Rahjital's sense of architectural beauty weep :'( I was the only one foolish enough to try make Giha architecturally nice, wasn't I? ;D

Jokes aside, this was a great reading! Between all the raids, sieges and mechanoids, you have had a lot on your plate but you handled it well! The second part had a lot more pictures too and that made it even better than the first. Makes me wish I uploaded everything I had too.

By the way, when the centipedes were in the base, did the situation really look so grim or was that just some roleplaying flavour?

Oh, and what about Lawson? Should I start celebrating? :D

@Lazarus: Can't wait to see your turn!

milon

The architectural changes were partly functional (a few rooms had too many doors/walls in what could have been 1 room, and the colonists felt cramped) and partly inflicted (mech/mortar induced, and never got rebuilt or got built differently).

And yeah, it looked pretty grim to me, but that was because I haven't ever had mechs in my base before.  Guess I've been lucky.  That, and the hospital was on fire with a couple guys incap inside it.  That was a little disconcerting, but Rahj did a good job handling simultaneous doctoring & firefighting, so it worked out.  (I actually deconstructed a block of hospital wall so there'd be an escape route if needed.)

You can celebrate about Lawson if you want to, but in my mind she was a hero.  She was a hard worker and she gave her life for the colony (one-shot-killed by a Scyther, like Levin).  I think the only roleplaying flavor I added to her story was about her taking a bullet for someone else.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure I read in the Events log that Giha lost a colony member during McLovin's turn, but I didn't read that in McLovin's account.  Might be a fun roleplaying bit to add in later - someone's ghost/diary/etc could play a role.  ;)

theapolaustic1

Quote from: milon on September 06, 2014, 05:37:54 PM
The architectural changes were partly functional (a few rooms had too many doors/walls in what could have been 1 room, and the colonists felt cramped) and partly inflicted (mech/mortar induced, and never got rebuilt or got built differently).

And yeah, it looked pretty grim to me, but that was because I haven't ever had mechs in my base before.  Guess I've been lucky.  That, and the hospital was on fire with a couple guys incap inside it.  That was a little disconcerting, but Rahj did a good job handling simultaneous doctoring & firefighting, so it worked out.  (I actually deconstructed a block of hospital wall so there'd be an escape route if needed.)

You can celebrate about Lawson if you want to, but in my mind she was a hero.  She was a hard worker and she gave her life for the colony (one-shot-killed by a Scyther, like Levin).  I think the only roleplaying flavor I added to her story was about her taking a bullet for someone else.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure I read in the Events log that Giha lost a colony member during McLovin's turn, but I didn't read that in McLovin's account.  Might be a fun roleplaying bit to add in later - someone's ghost/diary/etc could play a role.  ;)

I'm assuming the colonist you're referring to is the one I mentioned here:

QuoteHe was an assassin. He told us himself, while he was laid up in bed with a half-dozen injuries. We watched him line up shots, from both sides of the barrel, the fact that he was missing an eye never seemed to make a difference. He grew up fighting for every scrap, killing muggers and thugs just to hold onto what he had.

And he got killed by a gorram bug. I don't even know how. Bad luck? Maybe he was lying? I can't even begin to imagine.

A visitor from Struggle's Ridge saw it happen and pegged the bug in his first shot, dropping it. But he noticed too late. We lost a good man today. I guess. He did shoot at us before.

Unless there's someone I was forgetting.

Sorry I've been mostly away, less an issue of busy and more that my sleep schedule is shot to hell. Going to sleep at 7 AM lately, don't even have a goddamn reason for it. Trying to correct it, will fix OP post and whatnot when I can.

By my understanding, we should be on Ender next. Laz sent me his save file, but I'm waiting on a post from him. Which is a bit concerning, because I'm pretty sure he's gone until the 20th now, and we don't have that post. Not really sure what we should do in the meantime if that post doesn't show up...

milon

Hehe, oops.  I forgot about that part Apo.  Well, there goes that!

theapolaustic1

So uh.

Just so everyone knows, I may be gone a few days.

I don't know exactly what's going on and it's kinda gross but all I'mma say is blood. Stool. Passing out and seizing in the middle of leaving a voicemail.

Might be some health concerns. Hopefully it passes and is temporary.

milon

Darn, maybe that was too much potato vodka the other night!   :o

Anyway, I hope you're okay!  That sounds really unpleasant.  :(

Lazarus

Hey guys, I would like to apologise I forgot to post my story before leaving and I won't be able to post it until Sunday next week. I have asked a friend of mine to post it for me but as I see he hasn't done it as of yet and not sure if he has remembered.

I can only say sorry and hope you bear with me!
Poke poke, stab stab.

Rahjital

@Laz: No need to worry, we can wait. There's nothing stopping us from continuing to play Alpha 6 even if the next version came out tommorow. If we get really bored, we could up the challenge rating to 160% and see how long it takes before everybody dies.

@Apo: Hope you are doing better now, it sounded pretty serious. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

BetaSpectre

Actual DF veterans making a succession game thread on rimworld!

Squee.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Matthiasagreen

just commenting so I get the updates easier. Enjoying the show everyone!
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Lazarus

June 1st Year 1

Not sure what happened... I was just given this thing called a "PDA" and a command code and that was it... he walked off saying something about vodka? What is this vodka? Of the time I have spent here I wasn't sure but looking at this thing he muttered about something clicked then it beamed to life and I could see the whole of the tribes home, I think they called it a "Settlement"? I'm not sure, but if my time has come to lead them I shall try my best...

I shall have to ask more about this "PDA" when I have a chance but I think I don't have much time with it and shall try to work it out as I go.

It seems that this "PDA" records the day? This is fancinating but I need to get the others to work everyone is asleep but we don't have time... I know their tired from the constant fighting but we have to work so much will fall on us soon I suspect.

We were building to the south but I had put a stop to that to start with. Everyone looked a bit dazed whn I told them what we should be doing but when they noticed that Milon had given me the "PDA" not only did they sigh but nodded with a gimmimice one even muttering "Stupid drunk" I think she was called "Rahjital"? I'm not sure what they'll do or say but hopefully my time with them shall be quiet but they seem weary at the other gift that Milon gave me, he called it a "Minigun" maybe this is a item of stauts? Time will see.

Everyone set off to do their work most of it I think will be repairs due to the last few attacks but my idea of building a new set to the tribe seem to help people here, sleeping close together will help us withstand new attacks if they come while we all sleep.

I had to stop the gap in the south though seems that it would be a good target to come though if they were determind.

We shall see what comes to us in time.

June 2 Year 1

This "PDA" was beeping at me this morning... saying "Trade ship in range. Designation Jennifer Rutabag" I just shook my head and rolled over, those "Tradeships" are worthless they don't help us when we need help and just want our things... They used to come to our tribe before.. though they took our females when we were away... They can go to hell.

June 4 Year 1

The building is nearly complete though... the sun has been taken from us the others call it an "Ecplise" the last time something like this happened we lost many of my old tribe to men made of metal... I just hope that it doesn't happen again here...

Someone keeps mentioning that we need more space and they don't want to live with us "Pleeds"? I think she called us that... I don't understand we need to be together if we wish to live what does she mean?

I can't get any information out of Milon he keeps to himself mostly and smells horribly.. he bearly stands up straight most days.

This "PDA" said something about low food! Low food with so many crops? I'll have to have a word with Milon it is his duty to harvest those this time and I think this "Vodka" is keeping from doing so. I'll have to see if I can find this "Vodka" and make sure it stays away from him but what is in that bottle he holds on too like his world will end?
Either way he shall work those feilds.

June 5 Year 1

I kicked Milon hard this morning he was asleep in bed happy with that damn bottle. I took it away and kicked him again he muttered and then woke up wide eyed looking for it, seeing me with it he looked panicked but as I spoke to him about the harvest he only watched the bottle I lifted it higher then he tried to placate me with open palms like a child. I think I noticed then that this was his "Vodka" and I lowered it down so he understood I wasn't going to break it.
I told him if he didn't work I would break it and find any of the other bottles and break those too if he did not go out and havest the food I even gave him help with the man called "Burns" to make it quicker it seems to work.

June 7 Year 1

This "PDA" was making noise again something about a pod hitting the ground? I didn't care honestly I was too busy trying to keep the food in order no one seemed to care but when it said "Life sign detected" I was curious and asked Lu what it mean. He looked at me in disbeilf and said that a person just landed from space, looking at him gone out must of helped as he pointed to the sky. He ment the stars! Ah I nodded and set about going to find this person from "space"

It turns out it was a she... called "Shaper" just have to see if we can keep her fed.. if not I'll have to see to it she doesnt trouble us no more...

BLAST IT... soon as we picked her up a tride showed up with this "PDA" blearing away like its the end of the world... we've killed enough of them off to show them whos boss why do they keep coming back?

14... 14 of them and they just ran in... no time we don't have time to get everyone there, those spinning things just twitched on and started to fire at them... turrets I think their called...
one of them has already ran away.. I'll say more when we've delt with them!

We did it! We killed off 12 of them and two ran away... wait... one of them is still alive? We... we could see about interograting him... see if he will turn to our side but better yet tell us why they've attacked us... we will make him talk but first he needs to recover..

June 10 Year 1

I have set Rahjital the task on finding out what they can out of our new prisoner and to try and recruit Shaper to our cause, she seems... friendly enough but we have a lot of mouths to feed and very little food.. what can I do?

In our last battle we had our turrets taken away from us, so I have set the motion forward that we build more of them, six of them at the point they came though hopefully this will stop them from trying again

I... I can't beleive it that... Milon of all people... he brought Shaper to our side with just one.. ONE chat.. I don't know how he did it... but hopefully he can do it again with the other getting him to talk he has to make him talk.

June 14 Year 1

The new defences are build up... and we need them too, the lights seem to flicker a little bit so we brought down the old building we're not using anymore... should save us some power I hope may need to look into those batteries Alice keeps talking about. But Rahjital is saying we need to hook up more our "Plants" so we have more power... I guess I should listen? They know whats best with their things. It was so much simpler hunting scarbs...

We found it... another place for a "Geo plant" as I'll call it not so far away from the last one! I think we may extend the walls that we have currently so we have more of an area to grow! Its a great idea... nothing could go wrong could it??

August 2 Year 1

It felt like we were invaded! People from Struggles Reach just marched in via our south door! Just shows me that we have yet another weakness that we have to fill in... maybe I should just use my previous idea... but the materials are no were to be found... just metal at the moment it will have to do!
Those greedy bastards our eating our food... but what can I do? There are so many of them!

On brighter news... Alice finished our Gen Plant so we now have more than enough power to keep us running for a long time to come.. just have to make the batteries she was complaining about.

August 6 Year 1

Began on the construction of our new southern wall its going well so far nothing has cropped up yet but.. on a personnel note.. I.. I grow tired of this.. all of it. But they need me at the moment.. I have to keep up...

We have a new member to our tribe. Redfeilds. Strange man.. not sure what to make of him but when he was brought under presure by Rahjital he broke.. he told us that the his old tribe was forced by raiders to attack us otherwise they would just massicare them all so they did as they were told.. this does not bode well for us they must be coming soon.. surely?

This "PDA" does not stop.. its one thing this one thing that! But.. the red light flashing made me look more than once... so many coming at us.. their staying away at the moment but... whats to stop them from crushing us all?! I can only hope htey don't attack so soon.

Thankfully they didn't come quickly it gaave us time to wall off the two points into our home from the south making them hopefully go to our turret to kill them with ease!

I say let them come!

August 7 Year 1

24... I think 24 of them came... 18 dead or so badly wounded that they are now our prisoners.. or should they be? We must send a message. We'll take in one of them and put bullets though the others those that have ran can tell the others that we are not so easy to kill!

Three of the turrets needed to be replaced after that something we must do as soon as we can

August 8 Year 1

We found one... a little way away from our camp left for dead it looks so they brought her back to the tribe. I wasn't pleased but they held me back by stepping infront of me when I tried to put an end to her misrible exsitance so I backed off.. whats wrong with me?

August 9 Year 1

We found out why our power was so low, something or someone blew up our new Gen Plant. It was built with my name on it since I found the spot someone did this.. someone must of done this I don't know who but... it.. no.. it couldn't be Alice.. I know she stepped infront of me but.. surely not?

August 14 Year 1

The new southern wall is finished, and the Gen Plant is being reconstructed but I am keeping my eye on Alice.. she isn't to be trusted but... I think she watches me too

August 19 Year 1

The... the old plant no one beleives me though it was brought down! Destroyed but.. no one belives me when I said it was Alice..

I managed to get them to finish the new building for a new source of food but that was it.. they don't want to follow me any more I can feel it what did I do wrong?

I'll leave this for the next person who they force into the fray or.. I know I'll give it to him.. yes he should do well for the next leader! Well.. I hope he does I'll lock this now and leave it in their room they should find it they wont be able to open it I'll leave the password under his pillow that way he should find it and lead us..
Poke poke, stab stab.