Smoke launcher should extinguish fires

Started by Alenerel, March 31, 2020, 04:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

I tried it expecting it to work but for my surprise it doesnt work... I think it would be an excellent addition.

tynon pls

Ulef

Well, that idea doesn't really make a lot of sense. Fires already produce a lot of smoke anyway and the smoke doesn't put it out, so having a smoke launcher extinguish them would be strange.

On the other hand, if you're willing to add some mods, there are mods that add firefighting tools. Fire Extinguisher, for example, adds a fire extinguisher weapon that essentially fires 4 firefoam grenades per shot. It won't have the range of a launcher, but it has nearly the same radius of effect, so it should fill the role you're looking for. It also includes a firefoam belt, to keep your colonists from running around like chickens with their heads cut off whenever a centipede with an inferno cannon shows up.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2002292418&searchtext=fire+extinguisher

Alenerel

Smoke actually exinguishes fire irl too since it occupies the space that oxygen would, so fire gets  drowned...

The idea of specifically the smoke launcher and not a fire extinguisher is because dedicating one pawn for a smoke launcher in battle is often not ideal, but being smoke launcher + fire extinguisher (for molotovs, incendiary launchers, centipedes and inferno turrets) would make worth it.

LWM

Also for suffocating enemy soldiers?  Because if it can put out fires, it's probably not good for enemies to be inside a cloud of that little oxygen either.

Prologue

I think it would be nice to have some more options for dealing with fires, but I don't think smoke launchers should be involved in this. As pointed out that is not how smoke launchers work.

LWM

To be fair, it's not how grenades work either, but they can apparently be very effective in combating fire?