How do I make custom clothing?

Started by 2Camel, April 11, 2020, 12:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Camel

I'm new to whole Rimworld modding scene and was looking around for a clear tutorial on how to create clothing and armor and didn't find any. Can someone provide me a link to a tutorial or advice?

Shinzy

The way I learned was to study already existing simple mods, and see how they work
then try to replicate that

A Mod like FashionRimsta could prove useful to dig around

Or find the Apparel_Various.xml from the rimworld core (RimWorld/Data/Core/Defs/ThingDefs_Misc)

Also if you don't have it already I can recommend using Notepad++ for snooping around the xml files with, Instead of the basic notepad, it just makes your life so much easier

2Camel

Thanks for the advise, will look at the xmls. Would you recommend copying pre-existing in-game apparel and then modifying stats and textures or is it more complex than that. (like having to search multiple places for certain xml files relating to whats being made)

Shinzy

Copy-pasting existing one is certainly the easiest, The only thing you really need to keep in mind is to remember changing the Defname to something unique

2Camel

Thanks for your time! After some copying and fooling around with xml files I was able to create a new jacket. ( even if it was just a renamed duster   ;) )