I Miss The Old Quests

Started by kclace, April 04, 2020, 08:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

I've been playing royalty and have not had any of the old quests pop up. I.E. No colonist in need of refugee, no refugee chased, etc. All I get are these royalty quests. Well maybe my Miners aren't interested in serving the Empire. Heck with you nobles, I want more pawns!

Alenerel

these quests still exist, even the wanderer joining, but i think we see them less cause there are a lot more type of quests now.

also idk how many pawns you have, but when you have 4-5 the game stops giving you free pawns, and when you get 8-10 the game stops giving you pawns at all, only recruiting.

tsmt1001

I've noticed that ancient danger with cryptocaskets stopped spawning for me after I updated. I miss that.

tsmt1001

Quote from: tsmt1001 on April 05, 2020, 01:24:05 PM
I've noticed that ancient danger with cryptocaskets stopped spawning for me after I updated. I miss that.
OK, this seems to be a mod issue. If I don't have any mods except Harmony and Mod Manager (my Mod List is Harmony, Core,Royalty, Mod Manager), then ancient danger with caskets spawns. As soon as I add HugsLib, it stops spawning. Not sure what's up with that.

Canute

If you did multiple tries, so you can be sure it allways happen, because not all ancient danger have caskets.
You should report that to the mod author.

ShadowKatt

Okay, two point in this thread, and I think I have the answer to both of them.

First things first, the old quests. I'm right there with you. For a LONG time I thought they were just gone and I too was like "I wish I could just have someone fleeing from some raiders I could rescue". Well good news! Those quests are still in the game. The problem is, they're hidden. You're accustomed to seeing refugee chased etc. Now they have more artistic names like "Barnie's troubles with Catachapa" and things like that. If you open it up it'll give you a full paragraph of fluff that boils down to "If you accept him, you will be raided". It's a refugee quest, just with a new coat of paint. The same goes for people chased by animals and wanderers just randomly showing up. It's all there, just reflavored.

Secondly, as for the ancient dangers, not every map has one. Most do, but not all of them. If you're a supremely unlucky person you could easily go multiple colonies without seeing one. I have. They are still in the game and you could probably caravan to an empty tile and find one if you really wanted. Just keep playing and you'll see them.

Whifflepits

They're still there, it's just the probability of seeing them has dropped.

There are some other nice quests that you can use to get people in a pinch. Sometimes you'll be asked to hold prisoners for instance, and there's nothing stopping you from recruiting them instead of sending them back, as long as you don't mind the relations hit.

Alenerel

Just to be clear, the "wanderer joins" event still exists and works. After many hours of playing and several playthroughs, i got it the other day. No quest, no nothing, just a dude joining, which I immediately banished cause his stats were shit.

Dawnmist

I really am missing the old early-game quests. I've restarted a half-dozen times in the last month, and every early game has been similar to this one.

I've had 11 quests spawn:
* Two being the end-game ship one and the end-game Royal one that spawn every game.
* 7 being Empire quests (protect from manhunter, babysit sick pet, etc)
* 1 being the rebel against the Empire one (which since we were 3/4 of the way through looooong babysitting of sick pets I couldn't take without failing those quests).
* only 1 quest not being related to the Empire (lure mechs into sending a psychic pulse against your settlement for green that you have to go and destroy).

No injured people needing rescue. No prisoners being held asking for help to get out. No quests to help improve relations with the Blue settlements. No pirate outpost raids. No stash quests. No peace talks. It's been like this on every game I've started since starting to play again. I know that those quests still exist, but they no longer seem to be spawning in the early game - they get drowned out by the Empire quests.

I get that there is the Empire/Royalty. I get that you can climb the social ladder through there. But it shouldn't be overwhelming all other options the way it is now. Those early game quests were particularly useful for helping a settlement get off the ground. Quests to babysit someone's sick turtle for 23 days do not help get a settlement going, and are not really very interesting to do.

B@R5uk

In my humble opinion entire Royalty concept is rather ridiculous thing to have in sand box game. Well, many people like it, good for them, but I like myself to tell my pawns what, when and how to do things, not the other way around.

And yes, if you turn off Royalty, then your favourite quests will be there.

kclace

After playing some more I've found that once you are hostile to Empire, you'll start seeing a lot more of the old quests pop up. But if you stay neutral, you'll continue to get a lot of Empire quests. That's probably because the story teller wants to keep giving you the opportunity to pursue royal ascension. So if you want the old quests on royalty, just go hostile early.

My critique of royalty: I mostly bought it just to support the game developers. I think it's got a lot of good stuff in it, plus some great modding potential, (see mega corp mod, which also uses royalty mechanics). but didn't seem "game changing" enough to make it all that different from a player made MOD. I.E. I remember getting on these forums and asking for a DLC that lets you play as the mechanoids and insects! Haha.  But, I'm assuming they will keep coming out with new content for a while, so I consider it a fair price.