How do weapon works?

Started by Khwarizmi, April 08, 2020, 06:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khwarizmi

Hi guys. Just a simple question. If you have knee spikes and hand spikes does that add/work on if you have a melee weapon equip? Or no equipped melee weapon for the pawn to use it??

Edit: If you equip a normal sword will the pawn not use those body upgrades to yeet enemy?

Frin24

I think its mostly based on damage type.
From weaponized body part damage to an actual wielded weapon.

Though not sure.

PanzerJug

The weapon works very simply. Shot and done.

ronw

Mr_Fission

Okay, it's sort of cryptic, but here's what I saw in the patch notes:

Source: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version/1.1.2610

"Implemented category-based melee verb selection. Previously, pawns would select which melee verb to use simply by a weighted random selection according to the power of their different verbs. However, this created an incoherency where adding, for example, a knee spike to a pawn with a longsword would actually make him worse, since the knee spike is less powerful than the longsword but now he is more likely to choose a verb besides the longsword. The new verb category system places each verb in one of three categories – best, mid, and worst. It then chooses randomly between best (75% of the time) and mid (25% of the time). So adding a knee spike to a longsword wielder will not make him use the longsword less often; rather it will replace his fists as the mid-tier verb and improve his damage per second."

This patch note doesn't really clarify that well what's actually going on behind the scenes.  But from what I can make of it, melee attacks have three categories of power, "best", "mid" and "worst.  Adding an implanted weapon *should*, if I am reading this essentially-incoherent patch note correctly, upgrade one of those three categories to a higher-damage attack.  So that even if you're wielding a high DPS weapon, you will ultimately still see an increase in overall damage.