Toughskin gland is still useless

Started by jmeyer73, April 12, 2020, 06:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmeyer73

I just tested it with an autopistol. I shot a colonist with a normal quality autopistol 50 times. It never ONCE completely deflected a shot, it only ever reduced it to blunt damage, and this only happened 5 times. Seriously? What is the point of making an item this expensive that only helps you 1/10 times against one of the weakest guns in the game? I'd get it if the item was cheaper but it costs a ton of advanced components, I don't get why this should ever be made.

LakeWobegon

That is not a problem with though skin but with armour in general. The problem is there is a lack of a true armour piercing mechanic. Its the rng that decides if the armour will deflect a shot or not. One of the issues is that the rng is hell bent on killing you so no matter how good or bad your armour is your pawn is gonna get killed if the rng says so; with this in mind all armour useless. The only way to survive in this rigged environment is to find ways to shoot without getting shot which again makes armour useless.  I wish armour was more realistic and the rng less influent but it is what it is.
Edit: for example I recently saw a dude with a whopping 3% armour against sharp (naked raider except for a lizard skin pants) deflect shots from a machine pistol while my dude with masterwork marine helmet got one shotted by a short bow arrow to the brain).

RawCode

with proper armor you will have issues like killing machine turtles, it's all about fun and usability.

LakeWobegon

Yeah that is gr8 design philosophy, pay an arm and a leg for something that only works when the game feels like it. I guess it is coherent with the rest of the game where the only thing consistent is inconsistency. Raiders never walk over each other, except when they do. Raiders never move 40 squares in less than one second pushing opponents aside to make room except when they do.  Hey but now we have invisibility and berserk psychasts which make this game so much more challenging and fun.

B@R5uk

Maybe someone can explain what "toughskin gland" realy is?

Canute

It is one of 3 torso implants from Royality.
Give :
+10% Blunt
+35% Sharp
+30% Heat
protection
but lower movment by 5%
A pawn with synthred shirt/pant got S17, B4.5, H16   and with the gland S49, B14, H44

MoronicCinamun

Those values do look pretty damn weak, yes.

But there is also the fact this is a new layer, beneath the rest.
So if you have proper armor (which you should) on top, it's more chances to stop that round from tearing out your heart.
I'm also not entirely 100% sure about this next part, but since the game says apparel armor checks are from "outside layer in", it should be possible to blunt and already blunted hit, thus reducing it to 1/4th.

But yea, that gland seems weak but the others don't look anywhere near as bad.

Alenerel

The problem is how armor works. Check this posts and the graph:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/bys1fu/armor_effectiveness_visualized_how_useful_is/eqkuzvm/

Basically, its much better to invest into a power armor of 100% sharp armor and be naked below it than having 3 layers below that are 40% armor each.

Its kinda accurate to real world... But annoying at the same time.