Vanilla textures blur on zoom-out, modded textures remain harsh? PNG mipmaps?

Started by Grizzlyadamz, January 07, 2015, 03:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyadamz

Was fooling around with Hunter's Guns+ textures, and I noticed this.
Why is it occurring, and how do I duplicate it?

Zoomed in, textures for all weapons have bright greys & browns.

Zoomed out by one tic, the vanilla weapons lose the bright colors & look nicer.

While I'm at it, how do I spoiler these images?

Rikiki

I remember Tynan said there are several textures for each game item/building with different levels of detail.
The right one is chosen according to the zoom level.
I don't know how however... :-\
Go look there maybe.

Grizzlyadamz

Hmm, interesting thanks!
Looking around, beds have
<graphicClass>Graphic_Multi</graphicClass>
But items have
<graphicClass>Graphic_Single</graphicClass>
But that includes weapons, so no dice there.

It might have something to do with 'mipmaps', but I don't know if PNG supports that? Instead it might be either .DDS in the game's unity resource thingy or it'd take photoshop somehow.
My only sources:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2325.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1150.0

Problem is, I have no idea how these different file types would plug into standard mods. Just changing pre-existing textures vs adding new ones. (seeing as how the tex/sound guide is from 2013)

mrofa

Rimworld dont use mipmaps from what i seen unless its some secret feature
All i do is clutter all around.

Grizzlyadamz

Then what could be changing the textures? Looks like there're three levels, super-close, anything-but-close-or-far, and far.

Haplo

I think it's just how the texture is rendered at different camera distances.
closest view is just nearly 1:1 size, but if the camera moves away, the texture needs to be resized to show the distance. This is what Unity does for you. The game object just appears smaller to simulate a distance (distance camera<->object). This has nothing to do with the texture, more with how the texture is displayed.

Rikiki

I agry with you Haplo for Graphic_Single images but I am not yet completely convinced for Graphic_Multi with regard to this message from Tynan. ???

Haplo

Graphic_Multi is just a special version of Graphic_Single.
Graphic_Single shows always the same view.
Graphic_Multi shows the view that you rotate it to. You need three graphics for it to work: Texture_front.png, Texture_side.png, Texture_back.png (and maybe also special filter masks like _frontm.png,...)
But shown is always only one of the three pictures depending on your rotation of the object.
I use that for Mai.

mrofa

Its like haplo said every graphic type use graphicSingle as a base.
For masks you dont need to use specific graphic type, but you need to use shaderType CutoutComplex for it to read your mask png.
If your using photoshop you can see the diffrence in rendering, just go into window > navigator.
Navigator use very similar to uni engine rendering to show the texture so you will see how it will look in game on diffrent zoom types
All i do is clutter all around.

Rikiki

OK, I got it, it is much more clear now! Thanks :)
And... I doubt I will ever mess with the stuff system. ;D Too many textures and masks to draw for now!

Grizzlyadamz

Huh, well shoot. Wouldn't have been 100% convinced, but threw down about a dozen m-24s and one of them wasn't faded.
So I guess it really is just down to quirks with the individual sprites.

Thanks for the replies!