Does rimworld currently have or will it have a 32-bit version again?

Started by Vektroid, April 30, 2019, 10:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vektroid

I started playing RimWorld a while ago and I noticed that before the game had a 32 bit version, but the last version I see that it does not have it, i dont have the game bought, I borrow it from a friend with the option to share accounts in steam, is that why not have 32 bits?

Ty xd

Canute

Rimworld comes with 32 and 64 bit version.
So far i hear (i don't have steam) you can select 32 or 64 bit version somewhere, like you can choose to use unstable version.
Maybe you need to look around.

Vektroid

Quote from: Canute on May 01, 2019, 03:39:04 AM
Rimworld comes with 32 and 64 bit version.
So far i hear (i don't have steam) you can select 32 or 64 bit version somewhere, like you can choose to use unstable version.
Maybe you need to look around.
Mmmm ok, I'll look for the steam options, I do not know why it did not occur to me, the first thing I did was browse 32 bits pirate version because there are always people asking for it xddd
the problem that I never use steam more than for rimworld I did not know that you could do that

BlackSmokeDMax

As far as I can tell, Steam selects your version for you based on your OS, and there is nowhere to select 32 or 64 bit.

They are both there apparently, but Steam doesn't have a system in place to make a choice. You can select previous versions via the beta tab, but of I believe those would still be just the same bit as when they were originally released.

Maybe there is some way to trick steam, but I don't know it.

PatrykSzczescie

Hello, I've been searching a solution for my issue and found the most appropriate topic here.

I have learnt Steam automatically selects 32-bit or 64-bit version depending on OS I have.

My current problem is: I have one PC 64-bit where I can install Steam, the game but can't play the game. I have second PC 32-bit where I intend to play the game but I can't install Steam. I moved the game folder but an error pops in when I try to run the game as it says I can't run 64-bit version on 32-bit OS. How can I get 32-bit version of the game?

Alenerel

it seems the solution is to try to fix whatever is wrong with your steam so it can be installed in the 32 bit PC.

PatrykSzczescie

That's impossible. I can't install Steam on the 32-bit PC, I have too old OS.

Canute

Older then Windows 7 ?
If you check  the steam stats, there are still some who use windows 7 32 bit together with steam ?
So it is possible.
But if you realy got Win98 or older, you might have trouble to install DirectX9 and proper video driver for the used unity engine, so you might can install Rimworld but it wouldn't work.

Alenerel

Then either pirate the game or install steam in any other 32 bit system or contraption, to get the 32 bit rimworld from there. For example, install a virtualbox with windows 7 or so, i think it should work.

If by any chance you bought the game directly from ludeon you could download the game from there, without steam. But since you didnt mention it i doubt it.

In any case, i doubt rimworld will run in anything older than windows 7.

Alenerel

Quote from: Canute on April 26, 2020, 05:40:51 PM
Older then Windows 7 ?
If you check  the steam stats, there are still some who use windows 7 32 bit together with steam ?
So it is possible.
But if you realy got Win98 or older, you might have trouble to install DirectX9 and proper video driver for the used unity engine, so you might can install Rimworld but it wouldn't work.

If he has windows xp or older that means the machine will be accordingly old... In which case the game might either not run at all or be unplayable.

LWM

If your PC is that old, I might actually recommend Linux.  Steam runs okay on Linux and RimWorld works great!  Plus it's much more secure than running an old version of Windows.

Whatever you do, good luck with it!

PS - you might see if you can install a 32-bit version of Steam?

Bozobub

If your PC is truly that old, a Linux distro will let  you wring 10-30% (depending on a large number of variables) more performance out of aging hardware, due to the significantly lower OS overhead.

Additionally, Linux distros on older hardware will be able to run anything that fits in RAM and can talk to the video hardware.  You'll find a surprising number of drivers for ancient kit out there =) .
Thanks, belgord!