game is so good but... caravans ?

Started by Kostriktor, April 20, 2020, 08:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kostriktor

hi Tynan
love your game and your youtube !
but, i see a problem...
you release paid-DLC when core-content is still broken ?
talking about caravans !
gathering the animals, loading, unloading etc...
please rewrite it from scratch.

my caravan-animals are assigned a zone, where the caravan-spot is, as soon as you give the order to form a caravan, the animals just start to leave the area, as they are no longer bound to their zone, pawns running behind the animals all over the map.

try it yourself, prepare a caravan with about 4 pawns, 10 muffalos, 60 chicken you want to sell on the way and a few food and medical items.

took me over 3 realtime-hours before i quitted waiting/hoping this would or could work.

and as of now, im stuck because of this and cannot play/enjoy the game.

when "reforming" a caravan while on the way, the reform-process is instant; couldnt forming it up be somewhat similar ?
of course it takes away experience, but at least it works, until you have new code !

peace to you !

EDIT: other users on Steam recommended to use drop-pods instead of caravan-forming.
you see few issues here yourself; player is at point where i dont have drop-pods researched, player wants to trade with neighbours and drop-pods would be "wasted".
or simply: caravan is part of core-mechanics and has to work!

thanks for reading, keep this great project rolling, hope it gets you rich and wish you to be able to keep your feet on the ground.

Canute

Quoteor simply: caravan is part of core-mechanics and has to work!
Or simpy just try at real life to form a caravan with 20 chickens.

Basicly i never had much issues with caravan's but i never tried to put mass of animals on it.
You should have assigned all pawn's to the caravan at first so they help with the animals, once the caravan start to move to the edge of the map, you still can withdraw them.

But the comment that the animals leave their assigned zone is valid. They shouldn't do that until a pawn get them and lead it to the packing spot.

AWildman

I know people are going to tell me I'm wrong but I find caravans all round to be pretty tedious. I basically avoid them and use drop pods if I have to.

Whifflepits

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

You ever tried to herd 60 chickens in one direction? This is about as well as you can expect it to go.

khun_poo

TLDR; Form a caravan with just 1 turtle and a colonist. You'll see an eternity...

;D

Muramas

Honestly this is what I use the debug tool for, I just tell the caravan to instantly form.

Kostriktor

Quote from: Muramas on April 21, 2020, 11:06:28 AM
Honestly this is what I use the debug tool for, I just tell the caravan to instantly form.

It can do that ?
but that results into "cheating" and will disable achievments ?

besides that, its great to hear there is a solution, but still triggers because it is core-gameplay and should work !

Kostriktor

Quote from: Whifflepits on April 21, 2020, 10:14:40 AM
You ever tried to herd 60 chickens in one direction? This is about as well as you can expect it to go.
and that is why, we, the apex-predators, invented ropes and cages, because nobody ever herded chickens from here to there.
besides that, chickens in rimworld are perfectly able to stay in a given zone without confinements, and yet, they wont form up for caravan.
you sure Whifflepits ?
i expect the game to work.

angus_burger

I had the same problem; I'm extremely frustrated with base Rimworld because so much of the game requires tedious micromanagement. I've finally realized that playing without 15+ mods is a terrible idea; not mods that change the game, but mods that add logic the base game should have had by default.

Kostriktor, take a look at this one, I think it might help you as it should force animals to move to the caravan packing spot on their own: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2068456092

Alenerel

I agree with caravans being pretty bad, but with different reasons...

Go to world view, click form, click destination, then click the colonists you want, okay... But then, CALCULATE the food you need for your pawns and animals... search for a bit of medicines in the infinite list... search for the bedrolls in the infinite list... like just add these automatically for fucks sake, specially the bedrolls and the food.

Kostriktor

Quote from: Alenerel on April 21, 2020, 04:51:31 PM
CALCULATE the food you need
search for a bit of medicines
search for the bedrolls
or add auto-food-calculator and please Tynan a SEARCHBAR in the caravan-item-list.

ProjectXa3

I just use cargo pods to get anywhere and choose landing spots near at least two friendly settlements. My biggest problem was just trying to load a flak vest for sale that everybody kept trying to wear. Launch, sell/quest, autoform for walk back, done.
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

Canute

Quote from: Kostriktor on April 21, 2020, 08:15:20 PM
Quote from: Alenerel on April 21, 2020, 04:51:31 PM
CALCULATE the food you need
search for a bit of medicines
search for the bedrolls
or add auto-food-calculator and please Tynan a SEARCHBAR in the caravan-item-list.
A searchbar would be helpful. Special some modded food could be at some different place then regular food.
But you know, the dev team is against such useful little things, they didn't even have  a searchbar for stockpile settings or bill recipes.
But to bad no mod (so far i know) add a searchbar for the caravansetup.

Kostriktor

Quote from: angus_burger on April 21, 2020, 04:41:00 PM
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2068456092

Boai !!
this mod absolutely makes this work !!
Tynan try to check this out, i tried this mod and my caravans immediately worked !