game is so good but... caravans ?

Started by Kostriktor, April 20, 2020, 08:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Quote from: Alenerel on April 21, 2020, 04:51:31 PM
I agree with caravans being pretty bad, but with different reasons...

Go to world view, click form, click destination, then click the colonists you want, okay... But then, CALCULATE the food you need for your pawns and animals... search for a bit of medicines in the infinite list... search for the bedrolls in the infinite list... like just add these automatically for fucks sake, specially the bedrolls and the food.

I forgot. UNINSTALL the bedrools, otherwise they dont count. Then make sure they are in a stockpile, so manually haul them...

I usually dont take caravan quests simply cause I dont want to make the goddamn caravan.

On that note, it would be nice if all caravan speeds were doubled... To get anywhere you need days, unless you specifically choose flat ground and purposely settle next to other towns.

LWM

Quote from: ProjectXa3 on April 22, 2020, 03:28:35 AM
My biggest problem was just trying to load a flak vest for sale that everybody kept trying to wear. Launch, sell/quest, autoform for walk back, done.

If you forbid the flak vest, colonists can still load it into the caravan!

Quote from: Kostriktor on April 21, 2020, 04:13:36 PM

but that results into "cheating" and will disable achievments ?

Disable what now?  Since when are there achievements for RimWorld?

I personally have never considered using debug tools to fix faulty game logic "cheating" ;)  Some of that faulty logic is unavoidable in such a game, but the caravans really are kind of terrible.

For what it's worth, you should totally report the "animals leave restricted zone as soon as assigned to caravan" as a bug in the Bugs thread - your example was really good, easy to explain, and it's a clear solution that should be easy for them to implement: keep animals in assigned zone until collected.  Easy to implement is never a bad thing ;)

sadpickle

Quote from: AWildman on April 21, 2020, 09:38:41 AM
I know people are going to tell me I'm wrong but I find caravans all round to be pretty tedious. I basically avoid them and use drop pods if I have to.
You are not wrong. Rimworld's default UI for caravan management is sub-par to say the least. A simple list with no search function, not even a categorical breakdown of items? Everything is arranged categorically but it's still a bitch to sort through. And that's before we get to the travel-time / food calculus, with the trip planner being oblivious to weather. Or sending a pawn with no medical who gets scratched by a manhunting rabbit on the way.

Drop-pods are so convenient, once you get them there is no reason to caravan. But I wish Tynan had done more work on the caravan/drop-pod interface. As it was added so late it never got the love it needed. I suspect they didn't get used much in playtesting either.

Kostriktor

caravan is core-gameplay and needs love !