[1.1.2610] Item hit point slider precision - unequal values shown as same

Started by threephi, April 22, 2020, 01:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threephi

This one involves an issue which has perplexed me for a long time across many playthroughs, and I only just put my finger on what was causing it.

The item hit point percentage slider used in many game systems is calibrated to range across many non-integer values.  Decimals are displayed below 10%, but above that, only whole numbers are shown, causing different positions on the slider to appear they are the same.  This precision mismatch can lead to head-scratching and unintuitive results when coordinating hit point settings in more than one place.

For example, and perhaps most significantly, there are two discrete positions on the hit point slider that both show as 51%.  This can cause difficult to diagnose and tricky to fix problems when coordinating, for example, an outfit restriction with tailoring bills to prevent colonists from wearing tattered items, while also ensuring good clothes are available.

Case in point, in my current game I have the "anything" wardrobe restriction set to allow my pawns to only wear garments at 51% or above.  I also have multiple "do until you have X" bills on various benches set to only count items at 51% or higher, to make sure I always have at least one non-tattered item of each type in stock.

Just before taking the screenshots which make up the attached GIF, a pawn removed a 51% recon helmet to put on a tuque.  The manufacturing bill for recon helmets showed that I had two non-tattered helmets in stock, but my pawn didn't want to wear them.  It didn't make sense until I played with the hit point sliders and realized that 51% is actually represented by two non-equal settings.  The behavior occurred because the clothing restriction was set for 51% "high", and the manufacturing bill was set to count recon helmets from 51% "low".

The attached GIF shows the item hit point slider moving between 51% high and 51% low, and the impact that has on my fabrication bill for recon helmets.  Note the half-moon on the slider moves, but both positions are displayed as 51%.

Whether the player sets a hit point slider on the "high" or "low" setting for a given percentage is essentially random, but as in the above example, it can have significant game impact.

There are several ways this could be fixed, but I think the best would be to calibrate the hit point slider tool game-wide so it only lands on whole numbers from 0 to 100, with each percentage value only corresponding to one slider position.  I think that would give the most intuitive user experience and the greatest ease of use.

For the record, I observed and recorded this issue in a vanilla save from my regular game.  I can post the save online if needed but it should be very easy to reproduce. 

Thanks again for making such a great game, and continuing to develop and improve it.

Cynapse