Really curious why the removal of options?

Started by JSJ, April 22, 2020, 09:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSJ

I'm curious why Ludeon and Tynan have made the decision to remove the ability to add multiple of the same event to a scenario... like multiple cold snaps. 

I need a challenge, and the normal Sea Ice doesn't cut it.  Watching the Sea Ice Challenge's you'll see on YouTube, these guys are running 3x permanent cold snap, giving actually extreme temperatures. 

Is there a reason why this was removed?  I can't really get much of a challenge at this point, and there's essentially zero point to playing a default Sea Ice. 

It's always a bit grim to see a game remove features it had in betas and earlier release versions... if there's a good reason, fine, but as of right now, I'm not playing... and not planning on buying Royalty. 

If I can't get a challenge, I guess I'll just bury the game for another 6 months.

Jakkrata

I'm going to sign up for this forum to get more insights.

ProjectXa3

WOW that is some serious masochism, are you okay? So you need someone to talk to? I'm like wildly unqualified for that myself, but I'm sure someone here would be willing to help with that?
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

JSJ

Quote from: ProjectXa3 on April 23, 2020, 05:01:43 AM
WOW that is some serious masochism, are you okay? So you need someone to talk to? I'm like wildly unqualified for that myself, but I'm sure someone here would be willing to help with that?

It has probably been the most well-known RW challenge for multiple versions now, so really not that masochistic.

https://youtu.be/xNOnu_g61dI

harpo99999

and another somewhat difficult chalenge is permanent summer and triple heatwave ( temps pass 60c and might even get to 80c) the best defence against this is underground with MANY aircons cooling the living and freezers but then there is the bug spawns, but the only raids that are any risk in this are the mechs

LWM

So, why not post under bugs "Can no longer make scenario multiple instances of Cold Snap/Heat Wave" - seems like one to me!

JSJ

Quote from: LWM on April 24, 2020, 01:11:07 AM
So, why not post under bugs "Can no longer make scenario multiple instances of Cold Snap/Heat Wave" - seems like one to me!

Well, honestly, I'm new to these forums.  I could have done a better job looking for that, but I'm pretty certain that this is going to be ruled "working as intended." 

With it having been in pre-release versions, but then removed for release, you'd have to guess they patched this out.  I'm guessing I will have to do that, though. 

I mean, it would be hard to say it is a bug, honestly.  Most people who can still play games for fun would not consider this a bug... but I'm a crazy challenge player in almost all games.  There was even a workaround in a prior version where you literally had to edit the save file to do it, but now that doesn't work, either -- hence my stance that this is likely "working as intended." 

Oh, and if you're the LWM who makes the mods, thanks much for hours and hours of better gameplay with your mods.   

(I've actually been alright, I started a new save using the continued version of Rainbeau Flambe's "Realistic Planets", and went with a cold snap, volcanic winter, AND I've been able to get a colder planet using it.  Not QUITE what I've been aiming for, but I've been able to get an average temp of -75F on the start screen, which obviously works out a bit colder with the single Cold Snap and Volcanic Winter.) 

I'm mostly a Redditor, hence my lack of posts here, but thanks for the guidance.

Canute

Quoteut I'm pretty certain that this is going to be ruled "working as intended." 
Me either.
Multiple event's of that kind don't made any sense. You can't get hot winds from the southern,eastern and nothern desert at once.

You can allready have some real hot/cold maps even without these events
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=50315.0
And there is a mod to increase the effect of the events.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372130541

JSJ

Quote from: Canute on April 25, 2020, 02:44:08 AM
Quoteut I'm pretty certain that this is going to be ruled "working as intended." 
Me either.
Multiple event's of that kind don't made any sense. You can't get hot winds from the southern,eastern and nothern desert at once.

You can allready have some real hot/cold maps even without these events
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=50315.0
And there is a mod to increase the effect of the events.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372130541

All cold snaps do is make it cold, so they make plenty of sense... and it is hard to say what would or would not make sense on a Rimworld. 

Regardless, it used to work, and they removed it.  Those seeds are not cold enough.  If they were cold enough, people wouldn't be irritated because they removed the ability to add the multiple snaps, but obviously this is not your fault! :)

The old challenges got a smidge away from absolute zero. (-273.15 degrees Celsius) 

Even the mod you mentioned only takes the Cold Snap from -20 to -13 to -23C losses.  One of those doesn't get anywhere close. 

Thanks for posting them all the same, but yeah, I've even used the Realistic Planets Continued mod (picked up from Rainbeau Flambe's old mod) and while it gets to "better" temps, it isn't as cold as the old challenges. 

I get it, as the other poster said, it is "masochistic" but the game is quite easy, and the only way you can get a real challenge is if you REALLY alter the weather, when you are to the point I am at. 

I think I'm just going to play a normal biome like Temperate Forest and try to build the best base ever on Merciless or something. 

I don't blame the Rimworld devs at all, it is still the best game of all time, but I get very little challenge as a gamer having been a gamer for 36 years now (I started on a C64 with Jumpman Junior at 5 years old.)  I play essentially every game on the hardest settings and try to get a challenge.  I certainly understand that I am not most gamers. 

I wish I'd been born 20 years later to take advantage of the entire pro gaming scene, but my twitch reflexes are gone due to psoriatic arthritis now (among multiple other illnesses and disorders, I am disabled)... so about all I can do is challenge myself. :(

I greatly thank you for your post -- you did your best to help, and it is appreciated.

Canute

QuoteThe old challenges got a smidge away from absolute zero. (-273.15 degrees Celsius) 
Yeah i though you came with that argument.
But what's about the challenge that you can't breath anymore, because the air would would liquid ? :-)

QuoteEven the mod you mentioned only takes the Cold Snap from -20 to -13 to -23C losses.  One of those doesn't get anywhere close. 
I think i saw at the discussion that someone else allready ask for an extreme variant of that mod, or maybe with mod options so you can adjust the power of that events. Just ask there.

And if you like challenges, look for Zombieland or Tiberium. The extreme temperature just made the start extreme difficult.
Raiders mosttimes freeze to dead before they reach you, so only mechanoids are a threat.