[1.2] PsiTech (09.06.20) - Harness psychic phenomenon!

Started by K, April 30, 2020, 04:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K

Didn't see your edit Canute. I've just pushed an update that rebalances many things and should address some of the general op-ness of the psionic faction.

A psychic suppressor building is an interesting idea, particularly since it gives the option of giving up actives for defense, which is the kind of mechanic I like. I'll have to think of a way to make it differentiated from Mind Fortress though, since I don't want to make Mind Fortress useless by adding a building that does the same thing.

Canute

Mind fortress wouldn't be useless when you going to attack Psi-faction outposts/settlements.
But currently the Psi-faction is very deadly, so i decide the let strong animals guard the entrance and retreat with my pawn at the opposide of my base out of range.
Maybe for another run, i would train everyone with Mind Fortress so i can fight them directly.
Not sure how clever you made the autocast for the raider, so they would ignore all the mind fortress pawn's (with 0% success chance) and focus on potential supporter.

Or i need to focus on sniper fights, so the weapon range is larger then Psi range if that is possible (don't know all the ranges of the abilities).

And you could add a some chances that regular raiders can have psionic powers too.

K

They're pretty smart, but no smarter than any autocast profile that you could set up. In fact, they don't use autocast conditions so they're a bit less smart in that regard. They do have a propensity to focus-fire enemies without Mind Fortress (since they only take shots they can hit). I definitely agree that the faction was too deadly, but hopefully the new balance changes should address that to some extent. At the very least, there should be less of them to deal with.

I'm also in the process of adding a new tier 2 ability that should help players deal with psions. This ability decreases the psychic sensitivity of the target for some time, allowing effective suppression of enemy psions. It can also be used defensively on your own pawns to decrease their psychic sensitivity and therefore their chance to get hit. I'm not certain that I'll add shields due to this new ability (they trivialize combat too much in my opinion), but we'll see where the balance is at after it's added.

Also note that Mind Domination is designed to deal with enemy psions at massive range and instantly kill them, so it can be useful for eliminating high threat targets.

Canute

QuoteAlso note that Mind Domination is designed to deal with enemy psions at massive range and instantly kill them, so it can be useful for eliminating high threat targets.
Which would require to check all enemy Psion's if these got Mind Domination or similar abilties and manualy focus on them. I don't think you could setup any autocast about threatlevel! :-)

Another thing, implants like bionic lower the effectivity of psions. So i think the passive abilities could get some boost when the psion got higher sensitivity and an essence of 100%.

Latest verson from yesterday with a new colony, alot of warnings after loading.
Could not resolve reference to object with loadID Thing_Human46813 of type Verse.Pawn. Was it compressed away, destroyed, had no ID number, or not saved/loaded right? curParent=PsiTech.Psionics.PsiTechTracker curPathRelToParent=
Verse.Log:Warning(String, Boolean)
Verse.LoadedObjectDirectory:ObjectWithLoadID(String)
Verse.CrossRefHandler:TakeResolvedRef(String, IExposable)
Verse.CrossRefHandler:TakeResolvedRef(String)
Verse.Scribe_References:Look(Pawn&, String, Boolean)
PsiTech.Psionics.PsiTechTracker:ExposeData()
Verse.CrossRefHandler:ResolveAllCrossReferences()
Verse.ScribeLoader:FinalizeLoading()
Verse.Game:DMD<DMD<LoadGame_Patch1>?-1774510848::LoadGame_Patch1>(Game)
Verse.SavedGameLoaderNow:LoadGameFromSaveFileNow(String)
Verse.<>c:<Start>b__1_1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.<>c:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>b__27_0()
System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart_Context(Object)
System.Threading.ExecutionContext:RunInternal(ExecutionContext, ContextCallback, Object, Boolean)
System.Threading.ExecutionContext:Run(ExecutionContext, ContextCallback, Object, Boolean)
System.Threading.ExecutionContext:Run(ExecutionContext, ContextCallback, Object)
System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart()

https://gist.github.com/999e41dd3283a9f306830090fb7b61fe
Currently i can't open the worldmap, but i don't think that belong to PsiTech.

K

Enemy psions don't get Mind Domination actually. It and the new Mind Suppression are designed as trump cards for players. I'm not so cruel as to give the AI long-range oneshots through walls.

As for those warnings, they should be fixed in more recent versions, if you're able to update. Looks like your map is broken because of a missing faction though. Dub's Performance Analyzer has an option that can fix that sometimes, if you wanted to try using it.

Canute

Thanks for the hint, but the analyser didn't helped.
None of the numbers or similar strings at the error msg. i could find at the safegame.
After some testing, and checking the mod discussion i found out the StarTrek races are corrupt.
New game, safe,load and world map broken with just that mod.
And i think the mod author have no intention to fix it. No big deal, next race ! :-)

K

Now you can update to the most recent version of PsiTech as well. By the way, I added an option to patch all races that you can enable in the settings menu, so no more making patches yourself for races that are too cool to derive from base pawn.

Also, please tell me if you get those yellow and red "null key" errors on your new save. I'm fairly certain I've dealt with it but not entirely.

Canute

Downloading PsiTech(10).zip :-)
This time Star Gate races.

Ruisuki

Alright imma try this. hopefully its not too difficult or breaking im already having issues keeping this save alive

K

I've just released an update that adds a new building, the psychic suppression field projector. This building projects an invisible field that lowers the psychic sensitivity of nearby pawns, and can be used for a variety of purposes. It can be used defensively to make your pawns harder to hit at the cost of lowering their effectiveness, and it provides a way to control the casting of captured psionic pawns, among other uses.

Ruisuki

so the new faction hates everyone and is not possible to ally with right? Cant gain relation boost upon downing/release of their members so im assuming thats the case. I added this mod mid save and have no psions or psychic pawns even to give them reason to hate me. Whats the in game lore behind them/reason for their hatred? I thought theyd be like the royals are for psychics?

K

They're always hostile, but they won't attack you unless you research into psionics. They'll ignore you until they perceive you as a threat. This does mean you can preemptively attack them before researching psionics if you wish.

Ultimately, they're basically a cult and they'll never be friends with anyone.

Canute

But you can encounter them at various quests like bandit camps. Or when a refuge got chased by 2 hostile factions (not 100% sure).

crowman

The only psychic phenomenon I need to harness is a 0.10% BAC on a daily basis lest I wake up from my intermittent psychosis only to find a broken and unwelcoming world, filled with facetious laws whose only purpose is to serve those who foot the bill of the executioners. Of course, I'm talking about the game, silly! Don't stress yourself too hard, you've had a rough day today and god forbid you knew how many ounces of sugar and debt are flowing through your family. But that's okay, because the big good man in the armoury is going to save us from... and he's dead. Oh, Cindy has an idea! Alright, let's listen to... Wait, she's for real? She wants to have interco... with the mechs? Listen, Cindy, I don't think you thoroughly understand what's at stake here. You can't just go ahead and trade your... skills in exchange for peace. No, that would be barbaric. Here, let's try walling them off and tearing through the chest cavities of these fine gentlemen who just decided to visit us; how fortunate! Yes, they are losing roughly half their body's weight in blood per minute, but that is alright, because the govern... Alright, let me just cut open the aorta and adjust the obtuse margnis so that it fits somewhat properly. Aaaaand... there are the risks of the job, after all. Can't put all of your eggs in one basket. And Cindy sure had a lot of those.

K

Quote from: Canute on May 23, 2020, 05:12:29 PM
But you can encounter them at various quests like bandit camps. Or when a refuge got chased by 2 hostile factions (not 100% sure).

Unfortunately the game gives very few ways to control when a faction gets spawned. The way that the current limitations are implemented is by setting the raid commonality to zero until you've researched projection theory, and that's done with a Harmony patch because there's no way to do it otherwise. I'll take another look though and see if there's any other parameters I can control to stop them from spawning when they're not meant to, though.

Quote from: crowman on May 23, 2020, 07:01:39 PM
The only psychic phenomenon I need...

I have no idea what you're talking about.