Oh, the colony of survival.

Started by Drabus, October 05, 2013, 11:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drabus

Hey!
So, needed a break from studies, so went through a game in the latest build. Was awesome! Even if I didn't last long.
It started great. I had my three colonists, and they set up base camp and figured some things out. I started mining into the rock face to build my colony inside, only to find some more minerals! Sure it was great, but it also took longer. No problem!
My research dude really hit it off with the research. I think I had 3 things researched before the first eclipse, but that provided to be a downfall later.
My builder wasn't the brightest. He built the nutrient paste dispenser from behind it, trapping him between the wall, mountain, and dispenser. Not very bright! I wonder if he could just squeeze through that another time at 10% speed or something so I wouldn't have had to sell the wall to let him out.

Meanwhile, a raider attacked, and he was captured. Luckily, a combat supplier had passed by and sold me an M4 (?) so it was an easy 2-on-1 fight. He was captured, but the road to convincing him to join the colony was a long one. You see, I had barely enough food for three people, and I didn't harvest any of the local plants, and so when a fourth mouth to feed came along, I started having food issues. So much so that people started starving.
I figured that out, at least temporarily, by grabbing the food around the map. I convinced the new Mexican-sounding name guy to join, and he seemed to really prosper in the environment. With three guns against the two next invaders that showed up, along with gun turrets (which I found out needed power, obviously!).
During the light season, I noticed that I missed a few messages about travelling salesmen, etc. Would it be possible to have an option to either have the messages in the current mail format, and the popup as well? That would be a great option!
Anyway, the food situation got worse. I was trying to dig out enough room to build some hydroponics, but unfortunately, my builder had a mental break and started attacking. He was quickly subdued, but unfortunately, starved to death while in prison.
With the others almost experiencing mental breaks, I finally got the food engine up and running, and food was no longer an issue.
Right at the start of the second dark season, with an invasion of six people, however, I knew I was done for. Even hooking up three more gun turrets and having my entire 3-person colony on standby with their weapons, they were heavily outgunned and perished.

Alas, the colony was destroyed, and my break before bed was satisfied.

Hypolite

Food is indeed the major issue for starting colonies. A Growing area should be built in the first moment since growing takes a long time :)

Semmy

Nice story and yeah no food will kill you.

Dont know how many caves i lost in df because of this little food.

You made me even more anxious for the game now
Thank you very much. again not sure if +1 or -1 d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

Ahh ha, awesome. Thanks for trying the game Drabus. This is an excellent story.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

LoneTophat

How do you download the game and play it? o_o
I backed the game and it says I get the alpha build in November. x_x

Semmy

Quote from: LoneTophat on October 05, 2013, 10:37:41 PM

assuming you are influencer tier or higher you have a right to pre alpha wich will launch right after the kickstarter ends.
the stories you read now are from the original testers
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Conti027

Quote from: Semmy on October 06, 2013, 02:34:16 AM
Quote from: LoneTophat on October 05, 2013, 10:37:41 PM

assuming you are influencer tier or higher you have a right to pre alpha wich will launch right after the kickstarter ends.
the stories you read now are from the original testers

Thank you. I was wondering this my self.

Great story. I love games like this were you come out playing with an amazing story.
The survival element really adds to it

Tynan

Drabus is a friend of mine going back to middle school. He's been testing RimWorld since June.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fodd

Very nice Drabus. Although the firepower of the raiders sounds really intense, but I guess it's more a issue due to the colony being at breaking point just before their arrival?

Zorbane

Great story, can't wait till we can all start sharing our own!