More Mechanoids?

Started by Zeta Omega, August 06, 2014, 05:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think should be added as a new mechanoid? (or which is scariest?)

Spider: Fast moving melee unit. (SUGGESTED BY: Garen)
8 (21.6%)
Defender: Heavily armored units that use shields to defend weaker allies.
2 (5.4%)
Siren: Fragile mechanoid unit that stuns/slows anything in range.
5 (13.5%)
Sieger: Slow, heavily armored and armed mechanoid with mortar style ranged attack.
3 (8.1%)
Overseer: Mechanoid with shield and ability to repair downed allies.
7 (18.9%)
Suicider: Fast, hard to hit, explosion radius with possible shrapnel.
3 (8.1%)
A tiered system to mechanoids (Old/broken < New/Advanced)
9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Zeta Omega

I for one like mechanoids.....For their looks and weapons of course, and ever since I Saw the Mechatronics mod I wondered...Why cant we make them? Why only Two types of mechanoids? Lets brain storm some...And think of new robotic enemies ....and possible even allies...Don't be afraid post your ideas.

Zerohero20

Well those droideka from star wars would be nice. The rolling ones with the two laser arms. But they could be the fast moving close range unit with the scyther filling the long range. They could also drop a small personal shield or something to research to make them. Maybe just add a separate shield hp bar. The b1 battle droid could be an early attack followed by the heavier b2. Some kind of exploding bomb bot could be added to break turret lines or maybe walls. Some quick melee bot would be nice when melee weapons or something is added or they could grab and shock your colonist to stun them for a time until they are shot off them. Could also do those stealth bots from Xcom that strangle your guys. There are a lot of ideas you could think of from other games.

Shinzy

Quote from: Zerohero20 on August 06, 2014, 07:45:44 PM
Well those droideka from star wars would be nice. The rolling ones with the two laser arms. But they could be the fast moving close range unit with the scyther filling the long range. They could also drop a small personal shield or something to research to make them. Maybe just add a separate shield hp bar. The b1 battle droid could be an early attack followed by the heavier b2. Some kind of exploding bomb bot could be added to break turret lines or maybe walls. Some quick melee bot would be nice when melee weapons or something is added or they could grab and shock your colonist to stun them for a time until they are shot off them. Could also do those stealth bots from Xcom that strangle your guys. There are a lot of ideas you could think of from other games.

Oh the spacesquids would be real fun =P
It'd be real panicey having one of your non drafted colonists far from the frontlines getting suddenly grabbed by stealth robot
and the rolling turret droids would be kinda cool, too

bobucles

The tanky brawler and flimsy sniper are good types to start with.

Perhaps a fragile/slow repair bot? It would protect against mortar fire and kiting strategies by repairing minor damage.

A short range running explosive would be super lethal. Perhaps it once was an excavation bot?

Indirect medium range weapons would be tough to deal with. They can attack over walls and not care about a direct assault.

That's all I got for now. It's best IMO to keep the mechanoids using different methods of attack compared to humans, so stuff like APCs or cavalry are out.

Zeta Omega

Love your ideas guys Really cool, and the starwars one would make for a good mod....

Garen

since the mechanoids are built for generic purposes....

how about a spider-mechanoid - thats fast and does melee damage, or a (dare i say it) Siege mechanoid called the turtle

the spider one inhabits mountains, whilst the turtle one can only be found on the coast

Zeta Omega

*Claps slowly* I should allow you to join the mechanoid hives for your ideas and designs....You will of course be stripped of your humanity and your conscious transferred into a machine, Welcome to the hive and continue To help the hive progress

Damien Hart

Considering I've copped waves of 50+ mechanoids, I thought you must have been crazy asking for more  :P

But more types is definitely something I'd be happy to see. I'd like something to occupy the "fodder" position in the army. We have the heavy tank, and the light sniper, but we're missing the middle ground. A medium unit to make up the bulk of the army, whose primary purpose is to occupy the main part of the enemy force (that is to say, your colonists), while the more dangerous scythers/centipedes dish out the real heavy damage.

Somz

Quote from: Zerohero20 on August 06, 2014, 07:45:44 PM

There comes the problem. Sorry but this is NOT star wars.
Having a certain type of mechanoid with a personal shield might be a good idea, yeah, but I highly doubt simply copying others' creations is anywhere near an acceptable idea, let alone an outstanding one.

I for one think about a balanced mechanoid between the centi and the scyther (HP, movement speed, range, firepower, all between the two of those...), and a really squishy melee unit that could attacks in swarms would be nice.
Also the already suggested repair drone and (maybe mobile) artillery would be...well, not exactly fun for us to deal with, but spectacular anyway. ^^
But they should spawn regardless of the map type imo.

One thing, whatever kinds of new hostile mechanoids may take place in the core game, modders will work wonders for us to use them as allies, no need to worry about that. ^^
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

Zeta Omega

Im going to be honest I didn't think this many peoples would respond let alone View this pole...Im happy for it  :)

Splinterbee

how about a sniper bot with an incendiary gun like this
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs70/200H/i/2012/194/3/9/halo_4_promethean_crawler_by_uhzenostrom117-d57579r.jpg
this is from halo. there crawlers that shoot different things out of there face. some of them shoot snipers that evaporate people.
maybe something like this?
Video games, are pretty good

CrazyRu55ian

How about a robot that slowly terraforms the land around it into desert/barren/radiation? It would lay down "harmful tiles". This would give a use to the terraforming device that needs to be researched now by colonists.

I also suggest using dead scyther bodies as an ingredient for more advanced turrets such as a high powered sniper turret.

Damien Hart

Quote from: Zeta Omega on August 11, 2014, 07:10:42 PM
Im going to be honest I didn't think this many peoples would respond let alone View this pole...Im happy for it  :)

It's a thread about killer robots - who wouldn't check it out!  :P

Bog

Quote from: Damien Hart on August 13, 2014, 09:39:53 PM
Technophobes. ;D
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Damien Hart

Quote from: Bog on August 13, 2014, 10:20:06 PM
Quote from: Damien Hart on August 13, 2014, 09:39:53 PM
Technophobes. ;D

They wouldn't be on the forum in the first place :P