[1.1] Prepare Moderately

Started by Lakuna, April 11, 2020, 05:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakuna

View this post on Reddit.

Hello, all!

Prepare Moderately is a mod I've wanted to make for a very long time - almost since I started playing in Alpha 8. Usually I wouldn't post about a mod release, but this is one I'm very excited about and I hope that you will be as well.

Prepare Moderately
Prepare Moderately is based on Prepare Carefully, with the most significant difference being that it leaves most parts of your pawns up to chance, while only making you choose the parts that are relevant to you. It is similar to Verify Landing, except that it allows you to control much more than just the skill levels of your pawns, and also works on an individual basis.

In the pawn selection screen at the start of a game, a button is added to the top which allows the user to define "filters" for pawns (in a very similar way to the scenario editor screen, which it was based off of). Whenever a pawn is randomized by the user, it will continue to be re-randomized until the pawn fits the defined filters - saving a ton of time.

Links
This mod can be found on the Steam workshop here and on GitHub here. My other projects can be found through my website at https://lakuna.pw.

wwWraith

The idea is great.

But there are problems. It looks like it actually doesn't respect desired pawns' capabilities, min/max age, health conditions (if scars and similar things should count - I think they should) and "no relationships". Tested with only this mod enabled other than latest Harmony, HugsLib and ModManager. RimWorld 1.1.2618 + Royalty.

A little suggestion: filter by gender.

A big suggestion: make at least filters for skills able to work on a group rather than each pawn (like in Verify Start). Something like "Min [M] max [N] pawns should have [some_skill] between [X] and [Y]" would be perfect. It would make a very versatile system (for the cost of some screen space, but we will look there only once per colony ;)), allowing even more than Verify Start functionality (especially if this system will be also applied to other parameters).

Also ability to save/load filters to files would be great.

Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Lakuna

Hello! Thank you for checking out my mod. I'd love to work on your suggestions (especially the things that aren't working as they should).

I've decided not to add a filter by gender option in the past due to the lack of actual effect on gameplay, although with as many requests as it's gotten now I'll include it in the next update for roleplay purposes.

I'm a little tentative to work on the big suggestion because I don't want to detract from Verify Start (especially since I looked at their code to teach myself how to use Harmony), but if we can talk about the specifics a little bit more I'm sure I can get something in which you like.

Saving/loading filters is currently a work-in-progress :D

I'm fine with communicating through the Ludeon forums, but if you want my responses to be faster I'm more available through either the mod's Steam Workshop page or on Discord (Lakuna#2244).

Thank you again!