Family Inheritance (A Vanilla Factions Settlers Story)

Started by kclace, April 30, 2020, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

A 1.1. Game with Vanilla Factions Expanded, Settlers Using the Custom Scenario, The Family Farm, available on steam workshop.

All events based on actual game play.

Last Will Of Henry J Wrinkelvoss

I leave the entirety of my estate to my grandson Jacob Wrinklervoss, so long as he stays true to his settler routes and renounces the evils of outlander devices that have made so many men weak, and also so long as he never takes a sip of alcohol so long as he lives, lest he become like his good fur nothing father...

Excerpts from the Diary of Jacob Wrinklervoss, Log Cabin Frontiersmen, transcribed and edited by the Man in Black 

Entry 1: My family was what they call settlers. Not quite as fancy with all this electri-city as outlanders, but far more civilized then the savage tribesmen. Up until recent times, we were farmers. But Ma and Pa left the farm and moved into an outlander town. The place was rife with booz and drugs, but it had that elec-tricity that made life comfortable for folks. Few years back, Pa caught a bad case of the flu and passed. Ma found a new husband, and this new fella didn't want me around much. So when Grandpa Wrinklervoss passed, Ma said that the farm was mine now. That suits me fine. I'm leavin town for good and ain't never goin back to stay.

Entry 2: When I arrived with my dog Amber at the farm, I could see that it was a real mess. It looked like a twister had gone through and tore the house in two, and the livestock were runnin loose all over the place. So the first order of business was for me to repair the house and make it livable again. That took me about a day to do. After that, I fixed up the barn so that the livestock would have a place to sleep. I counted 10 rabbits, 3 goats, and a boomalope. It ain't much, but I'll make it work.     

Entry 3: Now as it so happens, Grandpa Wrinklervoss settled on native lands. That meant that a visit from the natives was bound to happen, and native visits are seldom pleasant for settlers. So when the first one showed up screamin and hollerin and waving an axe around, I didn't even bother to wave hello. Just shot im down with my double action revolver. Tap Tap Tap...and there was a crumpled up body on the ground. It wasn't murder though, just plain ol self defense. No choice at all really, it was me or him. You could see it in his eyes. They hate us.

Entry 4: Today I planted potatoes for myself and my dog, hay grass for the live stock, and corn for my cash crop. There's plenty of good soil on these lands, though I've been told the summer heat tends to stifle them a bit. Also, plenty of travelers pass through here, some with goods to trade. I don't mind the company personally, but they all want to drink that chemshine or have a fancy beer, and I won't have none of it. Pa couldn't put the bottle down, so I leave that stuff alone. Mainly I like to take a nice walk, or just stop and watch the clouds go by in the sky. At night there's not much for me to do. I've got a chem lamp and a Bible, but I it ain't much use to me as I never learned to read.   

Entry 5: Another native came, and I shot him down same as before. Only trouble was, he didn't die. So I made the choice to patch him up, and then  I put him in the barn. As he healed, I made a little shed and moved him there. Didn't trust him to be with the animals once he healed up. Well then I decided that he might be worth recruiting as a farm hand. I've got a lot of work to get done everyday, and I don't have time to get it all done. I know folks in town would talk if they saw me using natives for labor, but I could care less what those people think of me.

Entry 6: Summer is here now, and the heat is stifling the crops and making me feel real sick. I made myself a passive cooler, but that don't help when I'm out working outside all day. I think I need to turn in early today and get some extra rest. 

Entry 7: So I got to talking to that captured native. His name is Standing Bull, and he is some kind of warrior for his tribe. He speaks English well enough. It'll take time, but I think he'll come around to the idea of working for me pretty soon.

Entry 8: I woke up this morning to what I thought for sure was an earthquake, but it turns out, it was a trade ship that gone and crashed due south of the farm. I'll be able to salvage so many good things, but cold hard silver coin will be the best of all. I guess you could say I've struck gold out here on the frontier!  It's going to take me a while to salvage it all though, with it being so hot around here. I can only do a little bit at a time for I get too winded. 

Entry 9: The native went crazy, broke out of his shed and attacked one of my rabbits. He really hurt the poor rabbit too. Now I slaughter rabbits all the time, but that's done in a painless way. What this fella did just made my blood boil. So I shot him down again, and this time, I went up to him and finished him off myself, one round right between the eyes. It was more mercy than he showed my rabbit. Poor little guy, I'll have to slaughter him too now. In any case, I'm never using native labor ever again!

Entry 10: It seems the tribe has gotten wind of how unkind I've been to their warriors. A group of five of em came out to the edge of my farm and demanded a blood ransom for killing Standing Bull. Now don't get me wrong. I ain't no coward. I'm good with a six shooter and a shotgun, but there is no way I would be able to take on five blood thirsty savages alone. So I swallowed my pride, paid the ransom, and they left. No matter, with the salvage from the trade ship, I'm a rich man anyway.

Entry 11: Today, a brush fire burned up the whole field of hay grass. I tried to put it out, but the blaze was moving fast and I was worried I'd get surrounded and burned up. So I fell back and just let the fire take its course. This is just one more reason I need to hire a farm hand.

Interlude: As Fall set in, a simple looking man walks up the path to the Wrinklervoss farm. Jacob is in the process of sowing hay grass in the burned up field.

Jacob reaches for his revolver as the stranger approaches closer. "Welcome to the Wrinklervoss farm son, what brings you here today?"

Theo: My names Theo. I just walked here from town. I heard you were lookin to hire a farm hand.

Jacob nods as he approaches the man, sizing him up.

Jacob: You're right, there's plenty of work to be done, and I can't do it all myself. I'll need you workin the fields and tending to my livestock. I may also need you to cook meals in the kitchen and butcher meat up. If you think you can do all that, you can sleep in the shed by the barn. I'll pay you for this season's work with a duster I just bought from a merchant. It should help with the summer heat when it comes back.

Theo nods: I find those terms to be agreeable sir.

Jacob nods: One more thing you should know. The natives consider this to be their sacred land. They're liable to come and kill us at anytime. There are also bandits runnin around here. You think you can handle a gun?

Theo shakes his head: No sir. I'm Christian. I could not in good conscience take another life. 

Jacob smirks: You don't kill and I don't drink. I guess that means between the two of us, we add up to one half way decent Christian. No matter then. Someone comes a hollerin, just get the animals in the barn and hide there. I'll see em off same as I've always done.

Theo: Thank you sir.

Entry 12: Well the Fall is here now and things keep looking up. With the extra farm hand, I can get a lot more work done. I even got around to finishing that salvage work on the trade ship. I stripped some fancy recon armor off of the dead spacer captain. Now, I'll keep my duster for when I'm workin, but in a fight, the armor will come in real handy. I also bought myself a fancy assault rifle from a group of outlanders that passed through. I must say, them outlanders have got some fancy guns. Just hope the dust out here don't clog this overly complex rifle up. The natives have left me alone for a while now, but I know they'll be back.

Interlude:

Jacob is drinking a cup of coffee in the dimly lit farmhouse. Theo walks into the house.

Theo: Jacob, I just picked up a distress signal on the wireless radio. There's a fella bein held hostage by the natives. We don't do something, they'll gut him for sure!

Jacob: That's probably just a ploy by the natives to get me off my property so they can come in here and burn this place to the ground. They really think I'm stupid enough to fall for something like that?

Theo looked glum. "It didn't sound like a trick to me Jacob. It just sounds like some fella that got himself in a lot of trouble and needs help. Are you sure there's nothing we can do about it?"

Jacob sounded annoyed when he responded: "If you could hold a gun, I'd give it some thought, but right now I can't go anywhere without putting this place in danger. I can't go into town to get the Sheriff, I can't go myself, I can't do anything but stay put. I swear the natives are just waiting to pounce on this place. You can hear them out there on the plains riding around on their horses almost every day now. They're just bidding their time, tryin to wait me out. But I ain't gonna fall for it. That fella jus better pray someone else comes along and helps him out."

Theo frowned: "It's not good to swear Jacob." Then he leaves.

Entry 13: A woman came to the farm today and asked to work as a farm hand. She was pretty enough for me to fancy her. I figure once she gets settled in, she might make a good wife. Her name is Bienvenida. I agreed to hire her and let her sleep in another shed I had built. But if things work out, I might build a new room in the house for her, that way we can spend more time together. But for right now, I think some thrilling heroics to impress my future wife are in order...

Jacob is sitting down at the kitchen table and conversing with Bienvenida when Theo walks in.

Jacob: Theo, this is Bienvenida, she will be working as a farm hand now. Please make sure to show her around and make sure she get settled. She'll be staying in the shed due south of the house. Then when you get done with that, ready my dromedary and some provisions. I've decided to go out and rescue that settler myself. I should be back in a day or so.   

Theo looked surprised: Well that's very brave of you sir. What made you change your mind?

Jacob grinned: Bienvenida here knows how to shoot a gun, and she ain't afraid to use it, so be on your best behavior while I'm gone.

Entry 14: So I trekked out to this little hovel where the settler was bein held. It was guarded by one tough native. I must have emptied an entire magazine into that guy before he went down. It's a good thing he didn't close the gap faster, otherwise that tomahawk would have split me in two. In any case, I managed to rescue a fellow named Gabriel. He seemed pretty grateful to be rescued and agreed to work for me for a reduced wage. He seems like he'll be a capable farm hand. 

When Jacob and Gabriel returned, they found Theo and Bienvenida sitting across from the kitchen table having breakfast.

Jacob: Mornin folks, as you can see, I saved this fine gentlemen here from certain death and in exchange, he'll be working as a farm hand here at the farm. His name is Gabriel, and he can sleep in his own shed once we've built him one outside.

Theo grins: That's great news Jacob. I always knew you could do it. Umm, I also have some big news to announce.

Bienvenida blushes and grabs Theo's hand.

Theo: Bienvenida and I have fallen in love with each other. With your blessing, I'd like us both to move in together so that we can be common law husband and wife.

Jacob scowled: Common law is for remote settlers. We've got a town less than a day from this farm. You can move in together after the preacher comes up from town and marries you properly. Now, why don't you two get back to workin my fields while I get Gabriel squared away eh?

Theo nodded glumly: Your right Jacob, we should wait and have a proper wedding. After all, I wouldn't want to sin against my Lord and Savior.

Jacob nods: That's right Theo, and I almost forgot. Pickles the boomalope needs a good milkin. Make sure you get that done today as well.

Entry 15: It's Winter now. That means that it gets a little cooler, but I can still grow year round and boy are we growin a lot now. I've added heal root, and cotton, expanded my storage shed, and built a poker table for my dining room. And on top of that, there has not be an attack from natives or anyone else for a full season.  Gabriel and Theo continue to work hard, and Bienvenida seems to be doing alright, but she seems a little off at times. I'll need to keep a close eye on her. Mind you, this has nothing to do with her choosing Theo over me, that's her business. But I also ain't as naïve as Theo. If she's a bad seed, it's better that Theo not marry her.

The next evening Bienvenida was returning to her shed after a hard day of work. She found Jacob inside, holding a bottle of pills in her hand.

Jacob: Evenin Bienvenida, seems like you and I need to have a little chat.

Bienvenida: What are you doing in my room?

Jacob: Cut the crap. I found your stash of wake up. When were you going to tell me that you were addicted to this stuff?

Bienvenida: It's none of your business what pills I take. What's it to you anyway?

Jacob: They don't sell wake up in town no more girl. What are you going to do when you run out?

Bienvenida: I'll be fine, now get out of my room.

Jacob started to walk out: I'll buy some beer in town. It might help. But if you can't git it under control, you'll have to find yourself a new job.

kclace

. New Entry:

Entry: Today we rescued a woman named Willow that was being chased by a group of bandits. The firefight that ensued was terrifying but we prevailed. Gabriel as it turns out was a former soldier. He raked them over the coals with that fancy assault rifle I gave him. Unfortunately, Gabriel took a bullet to the leg, which  got infected, but we were able to get him patched up alright. We got good glitterworld medicine and Theo is a decent enough doc, so he should be alright. After the fight, Willow agreed to work as a farm hand. It seems that my prospects for finding a wife have once again improved.

Entry: I banished Bienvenida today. She just couldn't handle being in withdrawal from the wake up. First she smashed up a couple of advanced component parts, then she went catatonic for a full week and didn't git any work done. Now I put up with it for Theo's sake, but then the last straw finally came. She was goin around flat out insulting everyone, she ripped Theo to shreds, then worked her way over to Gabriel, then Willow. Finally she got to me. Before she could speak I said to her. "Choose your next words carefully woman." Well she didn't say any words. Instead, she just spit right on my boots. So I  said to her. "Pack up your things and leave." After that she said, "Well Theo will be leaving too." And I snapped right back. "This is my land and you all are my employees. No one stays unless they want to stay. But I ran this place myself once and I can do it again if I need to. Now git off my land!"

Entry: Well as it turned out, Theo didn't leave. He was a little upset about his fiancée leavin, but I explained to him that she would probably just go back to town, and that when he had saved up enough money, he could go back to town himself and marry her then. I offered to deliver any letters to her when I came into town to sell my corn crop.

Entry: Right after Bienvenida left, Willow sent out word for her sister to come out to the farm and work for me. Within a day or so she had joined as a farm hand. Her sister's name is Mia. She is much prettier than her sister, but judging by the way she acts I get the impression that she hates men. That's ok, I enjoy a challenge.

Entry: We are almost done harvesting the corn crop, and that means it's time to take it into town and make some serious money. I'm taking my two dromedaries and my alpaca. Gabriel is coming along as well. I took a letter from Theo to deliver to Bienvenida in the event that she was in town. I told him it was no guarantee she'd be in town though.

Entry: The trip into town and back was smooth. We sold the corn in exchange for wood, beer, and chemshine, the latter being for my employees. Since I don't drink, I asked Gabriel to visit the saloon and ask around about Bienvenida. He found out that she was workin up in the brothel now, probably sellin her body for that wake up stuff. We decided to just tell Theo that she was in town and doin well, and that she got the letter. Neither of us had the heart to tell him the truth. I'm just glad I didn't bless his common law marriage. In any case, I don't want him romancing the decent women we've got at the farm anyhow. Better to let him figure this stuff out on his own.

Entry: Well it didn't take long for Theo to move on. He just announced he's with Willow now. I told him same as before, no sleepin together till the preacher comes around. We'll see if this relationship lasts longer than his last one. Meanwhile, Gabriel made a pass at both sisters and got shot down. Poor guy can't catch a break. That's why I always buy him plenty of chemshine when I go into town. As for myself, I've stayed a true friend to all my employees, but my best friend will always be my dog Amber.

Entry: We had one hell of a shoot out today. A group of bandits came upon us. They must have outnumbered us two to one. We manned the barricades while the bandits used a rocky outcrop for cover. Willow used an incendiary launcher to burn em out while myself, Gabriel and Mia raked em with rifle and shotgun fire. After about an hour, we were all standin and about five bandits lay dead. The rest of em fled. Mia and Willow had both been shot a couple of times but were still standing. My armor took a few knicks but I was left with only a few bruises and scratches.

Entry: Everyone recovered from the shoot out, and there were no infections. But unfortunately sickness has set in for most of us. Theo thinks I've got muscle parasites, which makes every movement painful. I know others have got the same thing. I'm told they never really go away for a long time unless you've got a real good doctor and good medicine. So that means the farm hands are drinking a lot more alcohol and I'm left with the chocolate. We'll get by alright.

Entry: Today a terrible flash storm moved through the area, so I ordered all the animals to the barn and all the farm hands into the house. While the rain and lightning crashed down around us, we had ourselves a good ol time playing some Texas Hold'em poker. Since I was the only sober one at the table, I won handily. As I looked around the table, laughing and smiling I realized how far I'd come. The family farm is truly restored now. I've made a name for myself and I'm respected in town, among settler and outlander alike. The bandits and natives have been put down in the ground and will likely leave me alone for at least a season, maybe longer, and while I haven't found a wife yet, I know that will come in time God willing. Grandpa would be proud. 

I'm going to take a break from all this narrating and having my friend the Man in Black write this all down. After all, it's almost harvest time for the corn crop again, so I'm going back out into the fields now.

The End.

Epilogue:

Last Will and Testament of Jacob Winkler:

I leave it all to my dog Amber. The rest of yah'all don't deserve a damn thang!