[Naming Convention] Well...that sucks.

Started by Illutian, August 06, 2014, 10:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illutian

...so I have to use my real name; thus bridging the gap between my offline identity and online identity.  :-\

This is mostly to avoid identity theft, but also because it is not illegal for employers to do an Internet Lookup of you when determining 'hireability'. This also includes requiring that you turn over your social media passwords (thanks Congress!...POS politicians.)

((For those doubting: http://www.wired.com/2013/01/password-protected-states/))

Thought by "Internet Handle" it meant those...imaginative names (I'll leave it polite like that).

---
For any wondering:

First - Illutian
Last - Kade
Short - Illutian
---

Oh well.

Tynan

I don't understand what you're saying.

You don't have to use your real name. You just have to use a name that won't be jarring or immersion-breaking when other players see it in a reasonably realistic sci-fi universe.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Illutian

Quote from: Tynan on August 13, 2014, 12:29:07 PM
I don't understand what you're saying.

You don't have to use your real name. You just have to use a name that won't be jarring or immersion-breaking when other players see it in a reasonably realistic sci-fi universe.

I thought I did, but I guess Illutian Kade is jarring  :-\

Tynan

I think I'd accept that if it was just those names with no nickname. Enter it again, please and thanks.

Illutian

Quote from: Tynan on August 13, 2014, 01:04:44 PM
I think I'd accept that if it was just those names with no nickname. Enter it again, please and thanks.

Hmm...I seem to have misunderstood what "short form" meant.

I thought it meant what would be used in sentences, and/or what would appear over the head of the NPC. Since it's rather uncommon to refer to people by their full name in a sentence; usually either the first or last name is used. Same goes for names above character's.

Tynan

Yeah, if you include nothing in the nickname the game will randomly use first or last name.

You could copy one of the first or last into the short form if you want.

Illutian

Quote from: Tynan on August 13, 2014, 03:06:44 PM
Yeah, if you include nothing in the nickname the game will randomly use first or last name.

You could copy one of the first or last into the short form if you want.

>_>

That's what I did...and it was rejected.

Tynan

Yeah, I'm saying to do it again and I'll accept it. It may have been another moderator who rejected you.

Illutian

Quote from: Tynan on August 13, 2014, 03:13:18 PM
Yeah, I'm saying to do it again and I'll accept it. It may have been another moderator who rejected you.

Ah, okay.

Illutian

QuoteRimWorld Creative Rewards Management System [email protected] via gmail.com
11:35 AM (1 hour ago)

to [REDACTED]
Hello!
Your creation needs more work!

Edit your creation now!

Here's the reason given by the editor that reviewed your creation, [REDACTED]:
Sorry, you can't use an Internet handle. It has to be something people would use in conversation. Please check the guidelines and give it another shot.

Thanks

grumble

I'm pretty sure I did remove the 'Short Form', the last time.

Tynan

Okay, I'll take Illutian as a first name. I suppose someone could be named this in a sci fi universe.

Illutian

Cdogg316

this is more a question of curiosity. how does one know whether there name gets accepted or not? will it be in an email?

Tynan

If it's rejected you get an email with the reason and an invite to try again.

If it's accepted you can look at the page and see it (and any edits we may have made).