The Big Patch Notes Topic

Started by Semmy, November 04, 2013, 03:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravine

Quote from: Thoughts on January 28, 2014, 12:16:43 PM
Played for several hours (like 10?) yesterday against the Alpha1 release and had a few comments:

Love the new resource management and flexible storage sites.  Particularly like that I can set priorities so that I can stockpile things like food, and then overflow to the launchpad whatever "excess" I have.

Had a few problems with Manual priorities (not sure if defaults have this, I tend to switch to manual pretty quickly):

*  In the early game, I'd fine my crew going idle, despite there being work to do.  This seemed to be a range thing.  I did check, and even though there was construction pending, nothing would happen.  Later that would occur when I ran out of metal, but doubt that was the issue (although I'll need to run again to verify that).  It might be my imagination, but it appeared they refused to doing anything north of a certain virtual latitude.

*  Random daze/leavings/berserk without warning were a pain late game.  Sometimes I could see it coming, but often not.
*  Overworked and hungry being a "Mental Break soon" event when there were plenty of beds and food seemed odd.  Fixable by removing most work assignments until they recovered.
*  Really tough time avoiding abandonment in early game.  They REALLY hate sharing a bedroom.  Ended up getting by this by building a lot of 3x3 rooms which I used as prison cells/overflow rooms later in the game.

I double that. It's actually quite harder than before to not lose one or two early in game. And the alerts are a little bit too late. This has to be related to the "i'm leaving!" "no i arrest you" "NO IMMA RAMPAGE" gameplay bug raised by an alpha tester.

*  Feeding everyone was a LOT harder. This felt buggy, like me have rooms full of hydroponic tables and multiple growing zones bursting with goodness and people starving.  If I marked a bunch of outside plants for harvest they ravaged the plants and would be happy, but they were not harvesting from the tables/zones.  I could fix this by forcing cooking to be #1 and eventually balanced around that.
*  Laughed when I realized I had too many potted plants.  Apparently those now require maintenance and seemed to take priority over planting food.  Each 5x6 room now gets just one in each corner instead of lining the walls with them.

I ended up setting everyone as a Cook. Sub optimal, but avoid having random guys eating raw because the hopper is empty.

QuoteJust my 2 cents!

Have mine. 4 cents already, who's in ?

Galileus

Resource numbers in upper-left corner change font size when you select something ^^'

Had something more. I could swear I had something more!

Ender

Quote from: Galileus on January 28, 2014, 04:19:50 PM
Resource numbers in upper-left corner change font size when you select something ^^'

Had something more. I could swear I had something more!

i've also seen that font thing, and the colonists not eating raw food form hoppers, had a couple colonists almost die because the only food i had was in hoppers behind my nutrient paste dispensers and had no raw food left other than what was in the hoppers during an solar flare
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Galileus

Couldnt you simply lower the priority of the hoppers for time being?

Semmy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Jones-250

Quote from: Semmy on January 29, 2014, 01:57:48 AM
[img]-snip-
POSRIUYGVFFAÃ,,? What?! Storage zones, planting and what seems to be raspberry bushes. What is this dark sorcery?
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Xanting

oh man if those bushes are as blight resistant as the agave and wild berry bushes that would make a much less time intensive way to grow reliable crops.

BattleFate

More Semmy, more...

Looks like the areas now apply to growing too? With it applying to growing different produce. The question is, will the different plants produce different foods? (one potatoes and the other raspberries), or everything will produce potatoes for now? Also, will the plants have different characteristics? Potatoes grow slower but produce 6 food, and raspberries grow faster but only produce 4...

Maybe I'm just way off altogether.

Tynan

Quote from: BattleFate on January 31, 2014, 04:18:19 PM
More Semmy, more...

Looks like the areas now apply to growing too? With it applying to growing different produce. The question is, will the different plants produce different foods? (one potatoes and the other raspberries), or everything will produce potatoes for now? Also, will the plants have different characteristics? Potatoes grow slower but produce 6 food, and raspberries grow faster but only produce 4...

Yeah, the idea is different plants will produce different foods.

I'm gearing up the game to accept many more kinds of objects. All this will be very easy to mod as well.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

bigwolf2101

Quote from: Tynan on February 01, 2014, 09:47:49 AM
Quote from: BattleFate on January 31, 2014, 04:18:19 PM
More Semmy, more...

Yeah, the idea is different plants will produce different foods.

I'm gearing up the game to accept many more kinds of objects. All this will be very easy to mod as well.

yay but winn thay going to be added I wood love my stuff to build

kin

Been playing the new version since release and although I still love the game, it does seem a bit off now, since 334 my guys keep changing priorities mid-job and wandering off to start working elsewhere in the colony. The constant hand holding/ micro-managing is really putting me off playing till the next patch.
And whats with the new construction thingy of having to haul materials to the site? I understand the reasoning behind it, but one of my guys just fetched enough mats to build a turret then had to come all the way back to my stockpile to fetch a teeny bit more to finish the job.
Love the game so far, but like I said, I might put off playing for a while.

Vastin

One thing regarding food - the current output/labor time of the basic outdoor fields is very poor. Even if you have a lot of fields that can theoretically grow plentiful quantities of food, your colonists will have trouble feeding themselves simply because the picking volume and transport time tends to be so bad with these fields. Your colonists will end up blowing huge amounts of time transporting potatoes 3-5 at a time to the hoppers, because they pick them in such small quantities.

Really at the start of the game, your colony productivity is totally reliant on those initial food drops - they are far, far more efficient than trying to grow food outdoors. If you stick to an efficient plan, you can generally get a hydroponics garden up and running by day 5 or so, which allows you to skip *ever* planting outdoors fields and hugely speeds up colony development.

If you ever reach the point where you are wholly reliant on outdoor fields, and have no food drops left and no hydroponic operation up, you could easily end up using something like 50-80% of your labor time just feeding your colony, and your progress is going to slow to a crawl.

dd0029

I saw a SS with a possible work around for that and I decided to try it. Enclose your outdoor fields and attach them to your base. Use sun lamps and plan your base design for efficient pathing. Planting has to start right from the beginning though to give things time to start growning. Blights can be even more problematic though because they grow so much more slowly than hydroponic farms.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: kin on February 02, 2014, 04:18:06 AM
Been playing the new version since release and although I still love the game, it does seem a bit off now, since 334 my guys keep changing priorities mid-job and wandering off to start working elsewhere in the colony. The constant hand holding/ micro-managing is really putting me off playing till the next patch.
And whats with the new construction thingy of having to haul materials to the site? I understand the reasoning behind it, but one of my guys just fetched enough mats to build a turret then had to come all the way back to my stockpile to fetch a teeny bit more to finish the job.
Love the game so far, but like I said, I might put off playing for a while.
It only feels off because you are not used to it.
Ever played dwarf fortress?

I love the new system.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Semmy

you asked for more here is more.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke